Default Sterling Chassis

Has anyone had experience with Sterling? We are looking a a new Ambulance Chassis and would like input on the Sterling. We have 2 Navistars already, but would like to know if there is a better ride on another chassis. (No Light Duty Chassis WANTED!) To much in maint $$$$$$$ over the life of the vehicle.

Thanks for any help

JJ Baganz

MembersZone Subscriber

JJ,
    Good luck on the Info Search.

I asked a similar question on Sterlings a while back. (See thread http://www.firehouse.com/cgi-bin/for...f=12&t=000469)

My best recomendation would be to contact Sterling directly and see if they have made sales to a Major Ambulance Builder - then once you know who's buying the chassis - it's all a matter of some quick phone calls to get to the end user.

If I happen to run across anything else myself, I'll be sure to pass it on to you.

Also - you stated that you didn't want a light Duty Chassis - have you looked at the larger F-Series Fords (F-550 to F-750) ?

Also Ford & International (IH Navistar) are starting a partner project called Blue Diamond Truck Company LLC to produce Class 6 & 7 Commercial trucks begining with the 2003 Model Line.

If you're interested here are a few web sites to look over.

Ford & Navistar News Release

Ford Fleet Website For the larger Cab/Chassis data.

Sterling Trucks

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

We have several Sterling trucks, both single and tandem axle. They are just Fords with a new name. So far so good. There is nothing exceptional that I can complain about. Every brand of truck has a few faults.

STERLING IS A GOOD CHASSIS WITH ONE MAJOR DRAWBACK. PARTS AND SERVICE... AS WE ALL KNOW GETTING A TEMPORARY EMERGENCY VEHICLE IS LIKE PULLING TEETH. THE TRUCK WILL BE DOWN FOR A UNKNOWN PERIOD WAITING FOR PARTS. THE HOLD UP ON PARTS ARE THAT THERE ARE VERY FEW STERLINGS ON THE ROAD AND THE DEAQLERSHIPS ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. ANY QUESTION LET EM KNOW
    RYAN

Forum Member

Folks for the second time a Sterling is A FORD in a different cover.Engines trans,rearend are all standard heavy truck components readily available.Long waits for parts?Unless they are cab related,I doubt it like hell.Any thing we've needed has been 48 hr. max.Because of the Ford buyout by Freightshaker Ford had to rebrand their med/heavy duty line Sterling.Same basic truck under the cab as the Louisvilles and F series you guys been driving for years.

Ford still markets a medium duty chassis ( F-650 lo-pro ) in the GVW needed for a medium duty ambulance. ( check out the Horton add in recent trade mags. ) Sterling's only Truck in that range is the L7500 series which is basicly the old Ford Louisville Chassis, I would consider it a bit to much of a truck for ambulance use, several Fire Engines have used it though. But Your choices are limited to what Your Ambulance Manufacturer will use. Most all use Freightliner, International, Chevy-GMC, or Ford. Sorry haven't seen a Sterling as of Yet

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: medic1085 ]

Thread Information