Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDNY ENGINE 34

Default FDNY ENGINE 34

Does anybody know how the new American LaFrance Engine 34 is doing as the substitute for the Seagrave Engine 34 which was destroyed on 9/11?
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Engine 34 is doing just fine, this pumper will be evaluated over the course of the next year and is a critical piece in the long term plans for ALF and the FDNY.

Was this an ordered truck, or a demo that FDNY bought after the tragedy? If it's a demo, it must be one of the few that they bought. The rumor was that that was what they were going to do, but I heard that that wasn't true, instead they pressed reserve units into duty.

The American LaFrance pumper assigned to Engine 34 is a proto type unit that was in the planning stages long before the Sept. 11 tragedy.It was delivered to FDNY on Sept 12 at their request. This unit will be evaluated over the next year by both FDNY and ALF.

Thank you Tiller. That is exactly what I was curious about. In addition to being a vollie engineer I restore old ALF engines and otherwise have a special historical interest in American LaFrance.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

No problem with the reply. I also own a 1927 La France. Stay in touch.

i just read where Pierce donated a new saber, plus giving a new rescue to FDNY. anyone have more info on this or details on the rescue?
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your brain on drugs... E-One

Forum Member

The Pierce Saber in which you speak was loaned to " The Fallen fund " to use a s a fundraising tool. Pierce Mfg. is donating a air and light unit to New York. This will be on a Kenworth chassis. New York specked it and is starting in the build process.

Tiller,

I understand completely what you are saying about what was/is going to happen with this truck. However, I was told that NYC outright bought this truck after the 9-11 tragedy. It was also confirmed by an ALF rep that they bought it outright. What I was told was even though it was slated for evaluation they needed equipment right away and it was there and purchased. Just please verify any information for me and post it.

Even though it was confirmed by ALF, you never know if there were mixed signals etc. Thanks.

Kevin

Engine 34 was in fact purchased by FDNY but still will under go an evaluation process. The information you posted is correct.

Great looking Engine, but what's the white PVC pipe just below the hard suction sections for?

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I think the white PVC piping may be for storing pike poles.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Where can I see a pic of the ALE <br />E-34?

You can view E34 on americanlafrance.com under the diversions section.

WSFDEXPLR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Go to www.fdnytrucks.com then go to Manhatten, scroll down to engine 34 and the pic of the ALF is like 3rd pic down. Also FDNY has four more ALF pumpers.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

The ALF that was with E-34 might not be there anymore as E-34 now has a standard FDNY Seagrave. I think the ALF was re-assigned to another company (It might be E-283 but I'm not 100%). According to the FAJ and FDNY apparatus guide, there are still two ALF Centuries in service, one at the training accademy and one at JFK airport, one reserve rescue vehicle (Spirit of Oklahoma) and the ALF that was with E-34. I don't know of a fourth pumper from ALF. Also the Pierce/KW air-unit has been delivered (don't know if it is in service yet).

I also have an interest in American LaFrance, check out my city location <--.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

283 is the company that got the Ferrara rig.

Forum Member

The white PVC is for storing "hot Sticks" for dealing with downed wires. According to my source, most of em are empty, but that may have changed.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

I did some research and found out that the ALF rig is now with E-257 in Brooklyn. There is a picture of it at Mike M's web site in the Brooklyn section.

Sorry about the E-283 reffrence, but I knew there was somthing different about that one too.

Anyone know if the Spartan engine or tower are still in service?
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Lightbulb FDNY ALF

Hey Fellas,
    The ALF rig was replaced at E-34 with a Seagrave High Pressure pumper. It went over to Paris, France for a parade, then last I heard it was assigned to E-257 in Brooklyn. I don't believe that will be it's permanent assignment. I think it will float around various companies in all 5-boros for "evaluation". I heard the Spartan/Luverne rig is destined to be the caisson rig replacing the 1983 refurbed ALF. Also, E-283 still has the Ferrara. Things are constantly changing with new rigs and reassignments, It is hard to keep track......

Thread Information