Thread: Light Towers

Default Light Towers

Hi all,
    Just looking for any info on light towers you can give. Good, bad or indifferent, what everyone thinks of the ones they have, and any problems they might have had.
    Thanks, Russ...

Hi Russ,
    My Station has a 1 yr. old heavy rescue with 2 light towers. Both are WilBurt 25ft. vertical towers that operate on air from the truck air brake system. One has an array of 6 Fire Research 1500 watt Quartz lites and the second has 2 Metal Halide lights, 1000 watts each. So far we have had little trouble with them and they litterally make daylight out of night. The Halide lights provide 6 times the light as the quartz with less load on the generator, they do take a few minutes to warm up and that is the reason for the quartz tower. If you would like to see a picture of the truck check out our web page at 'hopejacksonfire.com' and click on the pictures of Squad 3. Not sure where in Mass that Georgetown is but we are located just about in the center of Rhode Island. Drop me a line if I can help you out more. John C., Captain HJFD Scituate, RI

We have a Will Burt 6000 watt tower. I don't know if we got a lemmon or what, but it has been nothing but a hassle to keep fixed. Our rescue is a 97 Pierce, and this is what has gone wrong so far... 1) Burned lower circuit board ($900 bucks for the part) 2) Broken lock pin in top of the head, would not allow unit to rotate. 3) Broken wire in head of mast. 4) Many burned out 1500 watt bulbs. 5) Cracked light assembly housing. 6) Bad tilt motor gear assembly.

I bet the tower has been in the air less than 60-70 times since new. We are obviously not an FDNY rescue company here. We are not wearing the thing out! And the entire tower is protected by a diamond plate shield, so it is not smacking trees or that sort of thing. I told somebody in the station today that if this piece of junk fails again, I would consider yanking the entire thing off, and getting another one from a different manufacturer. If others out there like Will Burt that is fine, but I think ours is the most unreliable piece of equipment under our roof, and our department runs 8 major pieces of apparatus. I fix ours, and I would hate to see this thing in another 10 years or so!

Forum Member

JohnM, You must have gotten a lemon alright. We run 3 Wil-Burt light towers right now and have two more going on our new engines. We have had nothing but good luck with ours. Who did your install??? Maybe that is the problem???

I don't think that my department will order another truck without a light tower. We currently have a 6000 Watt, A 4500 watt and a Night Scan chief with 2 12V metal halides.

I don't think it matters what brand you buy, but they are definately worth every penny.

"The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

TCFC 12,

Our tower was installed by Pierce. I have a good impression of Pierce, we have several trucks built by them to include engines, and an aerial platform, and of course the rescue. I don't know what is up with ours, maybe it suffered rough handling on it's way to the Pierce factory or something like that. A light tower is a nice thing to have I must agree. I didn't realize what a good job a light tower does until we got one, and when it is turned off, you find out how dark things really are. I hope my latest repair is the last one needed for a long time. One thing is I am turning into a decent Will Burt repairman! Take care and stay safe up there in CT.

We have a Will-Burt light tower on our '99 KME rescue. We did run into several problems when the unit was new, namely a broken circuit board and an improperly adjusted air pressure switch. After a few visits to KME (under warranty) the problems were resolved. This unit has performed flawlessly ever since( I hope I didn't jinx myself).

Thread Information