Post Please help us decide!

Hello again. Our pumper tanker committee really needs your advice. We have heard mixed signals about AMPS hydraulic generators and Harrison hydraulic generators. If you have either of these, please reply to us and let us know how you think of them. (do you like them; have any problems; etc.)

We have an A.M.P.S. generator on our 1998 HME. We have no complaints about it. The only thing we would like done, is they have to install something so that we can drive and have the scene lights on. We had one minor problem with it, and we called the company and they had a rep out to us by that afternoon, and they never had to take the unit OOS.
    Neptune 33

Forum Member

We run a Harrison 10kw on our 1999 ALF/General Safety pumper and have had no problems or complaints. At the time we spec'd the truck, AMPS were reportedly having fan blade shattering problems, something that others in this Forum have mentioned. I can only say that this was an issue a couple years ago, don't know how widespread it was or if it is still a problem. The Harrison is the only hydraulic generator we have in service, no first hand experience with AMPS. Hope this helps.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Hi guys, <br />Scott Dixon here with AMPS. Please give me a call regarding any questions you may have concerning our generators. I will give you the facts about our systems and their performance. I will not defame the competition in order to sell my product. That isn't the way I work. But if you are getting mixed information, I invite you to contact me directly and discuss your needs with me personally. Then we can see if our system is a fit for you.<br />In response to the person who needed something added to make our system give you power on the go. Please call me, this is confusing to me as our systems are designed to offer this very feature! I would like to talk to and find out what exactly is happening with your system.<br />Thanks guys and gals. We appreciate you. <br />Sincerely,<br />Scott Dixon<br />281-240-2555<br />marketing@a-m-p-s.com

Forum Member

Check out NAEVT web site. This has been a topic of conversation many times. They has discussed likes and dislikes with about every unit made. I personaly have worked with AMPs and have had great success. I know many people have had issues but many of them have been installation problems (poor location, wrong hoses, ect.)

<a href="http://www.naevt.org" target="_blank">www.naevt.org</a><br />I just checked the bulletin board and this post was up by Fred Hartdegen (Hart A Gen). He has worked for Harrison, AMPs, and Now Hart A Gen. Very informative message on history of hydraulic units.<br /><a href="http://www.naevt.org/_disc1/00000456.htm" target="_blank">http://www.naevt.org/_disc1/00000456.htm</a>

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: 3genff ]

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: 3genff ]</p>

Forum Member

Thumbs up

We have a 25 KW amps on our pumper tanker and aside from a minor oil leak have had no problems. I agree look on NAEVT it seems that most the problems are due body builder problems. It seems like with any thing in this business the best would be to take pieces of each to make the perfect unit. <br />I think AMPS is comming with a new soft start soon.

SBLG

That's right. AMPS is now offering the new electronic H.P. Series with a built in electronic "Safe Start". This takes all wonderment out of the equation of "Do I, or do I not need a soft start?" Every system has one whether your running a hot shift or constant mesh PTO. Please call me directly for more information, as this is a Q/A forum and I am restricted from advertising on it.<br />Sincerely,<br />Scott Dixon<br />AMPS<br />281-240-2555<br />marketing@a-m-p-s.com

Thumbs up

No problems on E-224 so far. Like the way it is always engaged and ready, even enroute. You are welcome to take a look at the unit. ALF put it at the head of the LDH hose bed (not our choice but not a bad location) so it is readily accessible if it needs service.

Look at the specs for the various models closely -the LxWxH figures indicate there are fewer models than the multiple output ratings suggest (e.g. a 7.5KW is the same size as a 10KW). We went with the 10KW for that reason.

Thread Information