Thread: Training Fires

SFDSmokeEater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Training Fires

I am just curious to see how many departments actually participate in training fires and how often. It seems that live fire training has gone by the wayside due to constraints from OSHA and the EPA. Also the budget cutbacks across DoD funding has hurt us as well. I was used to 2 live fire training sessions per months in the Marines (early 1990-92). The federal dept also trained often as well back then. It seems now training facilities are few and far between, thus live fire training has followed the same route.
    Locally here in Michigan we have a Fire Academy that has a burn pit and building, but their burning fees are astronomical and few depts use it at all. For us a Federal Dept., we have access to a training facility in Alpena, Michigan. This is a 3 hour plus drive, or a 40 minute flight on a C-130 at the tax payers expense.
    I have been at my department for 2 and 1/2 year almost and have yet to be on any live fire training through the dept. My last live fire drills were at Goodfellow AFB, Tx in 1998. Even though these were controlled situations, I still feel that live fire training has benifits that dry hose training or wet hose drills can not replace. Currently our training chief is trying to get us live fire training at Detroit Metro Airport. We do provide both structural and crash fire protection here. I am just interested in seeing if anyone shares any of the same views on this. Stay safe and cool!

Dan

pwduffy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Dan I am at an federal installation in NC and the crews have finally gotten a new training facility. It is a shared project with the air force, but it is more accessable and cost efficent. They spend a lot of time at the training area and they do have live burns on a regular basis, I guess we are luckier than some others but it was a long time coming. It serves as a high angle trainer, and a smoke trainer and an A/C simulater. Our crews train hard and we hope there will be no need for the practice, but like anything else we have had our share.

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our County is going to build us a fire training school after 10 years of planning! Now the problem has just surfaced if the burn building should be propane or class A conbustables. Most people don't really care as long as we get something built after 10 years of planning. By the way their building it 5 miles out of the city so I guess I'll never get to use it because the city can't send companies that far out on duty to train!

[This message has been edited by Truck 2 (edited April 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Truck 2 (edited April 27, 2000).]

opie5461
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been at this Dept since Oct and have been to 2 live training fires. One was at Ft Belvoir and the other with Arlington Co. We spent a total of 5 days getting all of our people through.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am located at the Hanford Fire, working for private contract (DynCorp), we train at the HAMMER facility which is part of the Hanford Site. Live fire fueled by propane, with burn building, outside props, SCBA SAR building, etc. Love the place but lacks just a bit in heat. But the purpose of the facility is to train personnel not beat them up all the time.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am located at the Hanford Fire, working for private contract (DynCorp), we train at the HAMMER facility which is part of the Hanford Site. Live fire fueled by propane, with burn building, outside props, SCBA SAR building, etc. Love the place but lacks just a bit in heat. But the purpose of the facility is to train personnel not beat them up all the time.

------------------

Thread Information