FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Does your dept run off base?

Lets talk about our departments off base/post responses, because lord knows that the runs off base can be for and few between!!
    Here a the USMC base in Barstow, CA 80-90% of our runs are "auto-aid"-that is no formal request is made-we actually have response areas off base. We get the calls at the same time-from the same dispatch center as the off base agencies.

------------------

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the Harford County, Md. system, we are Company 12. In three stations, we operate 2 engines, a tanker, 2 trucks, a heavy squad and CFR apparatus. I believe that Truck 1232 is the busiest truck company in Harford County for occupied structural working fires. It is due automatically on 10 different box assignments out in the county. The engines and tanker are also due on a lot of assignments as well. Additionally we get "special calls" for the squad onto I-95 or for foam apparatus.

If I had to venture a guess as for total off-post runs for all the apparatus (including EMS) I'd have to say approx. 450-500 a year.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

WOW! That's great I wish we had a truck co. truck ops. at a working fire are my favorite funtions.

------------------

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Most of our calls are off post calls. I work on a small arsenal which has been hit hard by rif's over the years so our on base calls have dropped dramatically, but our off base calls have gone up due to poor man power staffing in the surrounding departments. Our ladder truck responds on all 1st alarm assignment with the city of watervliet. we go to the city of troy as well, but wether the truck is called for or the engine depends. i have been to fires in that city to the scene on 2nd alarms and to stand by on 4th alarms. we also have aggrements with the city of cohoes and albany, ny as well as the village of green island. our dept. is also part of the albany county hazmat team with the city of albany and west albany fd's. our ambulance also goes off post to the city of watervliet when the commercial ambulance is not available.

[This message has been edited by WVA14 (edited 03-11-2001).]

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our department runs 1st due truck in the area around the base. We also run 2nd due BLS ambulance to the local area. About two years ago we became the RIT for Harrisburg City. More departments are asking if we will do the same for them. We still run more on base then off, not by much.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

NTCFD_Lieut
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here, due to many rifs and what not we don't see the on post call volume that we used to. However we will run off post to the city of Tooele and out into the county on car accidents and brush fires. We are available for dispatch to assist any department in the county as needed.

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Do your fed depts leave your bases uncovered while you run off base? I think that if we only had 1 manned engine at each station that rig wouldn't go anywhere. How would/do your depts. justify this?

------------------

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have 9 men on duty. 4 engine and 4 truck plus an AC. We never send more then one vehicle off base at a time.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

We only have an engine, which is a 65' tele-spuirt and an aerial ladder, which is a quint. We always leave the base protected, not taking both off post at the same time. If we are at a working incident, then we do a recall of one, two or three people, never leaving the post unprotected, it is our main priority. All of the fire departments around here have to rely on mutual aid. the city right outside the gate with a pop. around 12,000, only has 4-6 on a shift, same as us and the other dept. we run mutual aid most often with only has 2-3 people on an engine and truck company. we usually go to them on stand by on 2nd alarm and into the city on the 3rd alarm. we all rely on each other and work close together including training.

[This message has been edited by WVA14 (edited 03-21-2001).]

Braggfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run with two municipal departments on structure fires. Hasn't been much of a problem so far. More often than not they cancel us pretty quickly.

Thread Information