devildog4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Federal Firefighter Pay & Benefits...

Just some random thoughts for you folks:

1. How is it that OPM changed their pay standards to allow us to be paid for the whole 144 pay-period, but only AFTER lowering
    our hourly GS wage compared to other GS workers?

2. Why don't we earn more leave than other GS workers? We earn leave at the same rate, but have to take 3 times the hours they do in order to have a full day off. If the FF and a GS Clerk both earn at the same accrual rate,
    the office clerk takes 8 hours leave and goes home for full day. We have to take 24 hours leave to get a full day off.

3. The pay reform act took away all premium pay we used to get. No holiday, night(shift) or Sunday differential. No hazardous pay, etc.

4. Another biggie is that there is no standard with regard to grades within the Federal Fire Service. Some places will only hire you as a GS4 period. Takes two years to make a GS6. Some places hire you on as a GS6
    from the beginning.Even if the announcement is a 4/5/6, they are under no obligation to fill it at the highest rate.

5. Upgrades are a sore spot with me. Some places the Driver/Operator is a grade higher than the FF. Some places it is the same, resulting in no incentive for a FF to become a D/O.

Any comments?

mike m
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Devildog i hear ya. when i started federal sevice in 1977 i was making 8000 a year.when i left i was 10 years later i was a GS-5 and not making that much more.the only solution i can offer you is better collective bargaining through your union.i relize being a federal employee bargaining would be a little tough.Some federal unions treat clerks better than firefighters.keep the faith brother and good luck,mike m proud to be an ex fed

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't know as much as I probably should about my own pay- I know that I should.....I just am not the greatest financial wizard out there, and I find that sort of stuff booring.....But I do know this....ever since they reformed the pay, and straightened out the chinese overtime thingy, I have been making more money!! I do agree with the leave problem, though.....Let's tackle that next!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can't disagree with hardly any of what you have to say, but i do know my pay increased almost $7,000 dollars a year after the pay increase. I definately can't disagree with the leave unjustice. Unfortuneately, our union doesn't really care about the firefighters at my base (NFFE). We only have the IAFF as an off post local. We do need stronger unions to protect us federal firefighters. Good luck and stay safe out there.

devildog4
    Firehouse.com Guest

To WVA14:

You need to check into changing your Union.
    It is fairly simple, and it sounds like you
    need to find a Union who best represents the
    specific needs and interests of Firefighters.
    Other posts on this Federal Forum tell you how to do that. As for myself, personally I
    would choose the IAFF. Yes the AFGE has Federal Firefighters, but it does not have the experience, contacts, membership, etc that the IAFF has. Additionally, the IAFF ONLY represents Firefighters, opposed to the AFGE or NFFE, who's Firefighters represent a small portion of their membership. You choose your own destiny, and can change your own
    Base Firefighter Union representation if you want. Contact whatever Union you feel will better represent the issues and problems and concerns specific to Firefighters, and they will be glad to help you. Just an idea!...

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I appreciate the help devildog, but the president of NFFE, won't even discuss it with us, trying to get joint council, so we can have the IAFF in as a bargainning unit. The IAFF won't step on NFFE's toes since they are both AFL-CIO. Maybe i don't fully understand what you are saying. Of the two captains and 8 firefighters, all are in our off post local of the IAFF, but only 4 are in NFFE too. I would appreciate any help or thoughts anyone can give to me on this matter. Thanks again devildog, stay safe out there.

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Devildog4:

How are things in S.D.? Are you at Miramar? If so, you probably know my boss, Stu Cook. Tell Danny Rivas and Tina Leary Brian Johnson said Hi.

You talked about leave computation in your posting. If you are working a 72 hour work week and have been employed for 3 years you should be earning 11 Hrs. a PPD. A 56 hour worker would earn 8 and a 40 hour worker 7. If you have been there for 3 years, are working a 72 and not earning 11 hours you need to have your payroll office correct it.

As for SL a 72 hour worker should be earning 7 hours, 56 hours earns 5 and 40 earns 4.

I don't remember what the rate is for those who have been employed less than 3 years (or more than 15 but I'll find out soon!!!) but it isn't much. You can find this info at the following site: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/HTML/AN...ccrual%20Rates

Anyway I hope all is well there in S.D. I sure do miss Rubio's Fish Tacos!

------------------
    Brian Johnson
    Assistant Chief
    Okinawa, Japan

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

DevilDog4:

Brian form Okinawa again. The first part of your statement on benefits is true if you look at yourself as an hourly worker instead of a salaried worker. OPM looks at you as a salaried worker making a base annual salary.

For instance the annual salary for a GS 11 Step 2 is 41577.00 (working overseas I do not get COLA rather what they call post allowance and it is a separate payment from my salary). A person working 40 hours a week this would be 19.98 an hour. (52 weeks X 40 hours = 2080. 41577.00 / 2080 = 19.98 an hour).

Our basic work week is 53 hours. As a GS 11 step 2 I would use the following: 52 weeks X 53 hours = 2756. Again my annual salary is 41577.00. I would divide by 2756 to get my hourly rate of 15.09.

While this may seem a little confusing, it is much easier to understand than the Chinese OT. I was never able to get a handle on that. At least with the new pay it is easy to calculate therefore easy to tell when you are getting screwed. I would suggest the following two websites for information on pay/benefits/perdiem/and general info regarding government employees:
    http://govexec.com/
    http://www.opm.gov

Take care,

------------------
    Brian Johnson
    Assistant Chief
    Okinawa, Japan

Thread Information