Thread: 2 on 2 off?!

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question 2 on 2 off?!

Any of you working a 2 on 2 off with a 3 day break every pay period, we are voting on it in a few weeks. Any feedback would be great.

------------------

devildog4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think that they currently work that scheduale at China Lake. Call the local and ask how they like it.As for me, no way! If you worked a mandatory OT, you would be there for 96hours I think!
    Just a thought...

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We are currently working two on, two off, two on, three off, two on, three off. We used to be on the day on, day off thing, but no one got any full weekend off. With this schedule, you still have your 144 hour pay period, plus everyone gets every other weekend off in some form or another. My three day weekend is thursday, friday, saturday. We did it on a three month trial schedule and all but one of our small 13 man department likes it. The two days can be long, especially if you have an over night or late night fire on your first day. We are also a small, slow department that doesnt run into that problem too often. Since we started that schedule, only twice have we had that problem of a late night fire. We also always have at least two if not three fresh people coming in every day too. As far as O/T, you still only get a 72 hour shift if you get stuck on O/T, just like the day on, day off schedule. We got some info from China Lake when we were looking at going to this, i think they work two on, two off, two on, two off and then two on and four off.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Gawd.....48 hours?? My mind gets numb here after 8 hours.....and then I have to do 40 more?? Not only no, but H-E-L-L NO!!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

fedfire418
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to agree with Army, I go crazy working 24hrs if were slow and have no runs. I can't imagine working 48, bad enough when your forced. That would be a little tough on the family too, leaving wife home alone with kids for 2 days.

fedfire418
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to agree with Army, I go crazy working 24hrs if were slow and have no runs. I can't imagine working 48, bad enough when your forced. That would be a little tough on the family too, leaving wife home alone with kids for 2 days.

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not saying it doesn't get boring, or even start to go a little nuts, but we have found the pro of three days off and every other weekend off, beats the con of boredom and working every other day. Good luck FFSThomas, stay safe all.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Don't get me wrong- I don't mind the 24 hour shift....And we are busy enough that we don't get boored. What I meant was that due to management's constant cranial-rectal inversions, my mind goes numb after 8 hours. It's sort of a self-defense mechanism against stupidity.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Thanks for the support fellas, we are voting on this very soon. We all have to work on X-mas, but X-mas eve too!!!!!!!!

Those of you working more than 1 24hr shift, if you guys get hammered with runs at night on the first night are you "allowed" to get some rest during the next day? That's gunna be a problem for us, we cover about 60 miles of the freeway between LA and Vegas, it's no un common for us to get run at night and not get back for an hour after we leave the scene!

------------------

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

WVA14, I read your post about your schedule three times and I'm still a bit confused. Do you ever work three days in a row, if no, who is working while you are on your three day? Do you have more than two shifts (platoons)?

------------------

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

FFSThomas........we work for two days, off for two days. then we work for two days, and off for three days. and then we work two more days, and off for three more days. We only have 12 on counting the shift supervisors of two assistant chiefs and two captains, so we don't even really have two shifts, like an a platoon and b platoon.

example.....i worked friday/saturday shift, two guys went home saturday, but three more came in. i came home sunday morning and one came on today, for a total of 4. 4 is our minimum staffing. those that came in on saturday and go home monday, will be replaced by three more people. not sure if that makes sense to you or not. we are supposed to have 24 on staff, but due to RIF's and other cuts by DoD, we only have the 12.

as far as working christmas eve and day, we try to take care of that by admin. leave or something like that. this schedule is still new to us and may have some kinks to work out.

if we are up a good portion of the night, the supervisors are pretty good about taking it easy on us, except for one of them, depending on his mood. example, last sunday we were out from around 7:00pm to 12:30am, on a mutual aid fire and i had to work on monday.....i didn't get to sleep at all on monday, but i wasnt given any details or anything either.

hope this clears it up for you some. stay safe out there.

James Miller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here at Petaluma Coast Guard Training Center Fire Department, we work 72 on 96 off. Every seven weeks you drop back one day. For example: SU,MON,TUE then seven weeks later SA,SU,MON. Keep rotating. We run between 250 - 350 runs a year. At times it can get boring, but it picks up at times especially wildland season. (Strike Teams, Mutual Aid, etc..)

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

All I can say is that I am happy with the 24 on 24 off I work now. We get a 5 day break every quarter. I could see the longer shifts if you are at a remote site. What ever floats your boat I guess!!

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

plochjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

We do 24/48's and that can get a little nuts if you throw in a mutual and/or an OT tour. We average about 1000 runs but working 96 straight could make the Pope nutty. Its like being in a Federal Prison...you can move about freely, there are no guards watching you, BUT you CAN'T leave!!

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

plochjr,
    WELCOME TO THE FEDERAL FORUM! From all of us frequent flyers!
    Are you guys working 24 on 48 off!? You must have three shifts (A,B,C shift)(a 56 hour work week) then right? When we work an overtime now we are working a 72. Those can get long but you go home for 24 and only have to work 1 24 hour shift when you come back If we go to the proposed 2 on 2 off, an overtime would be: work 72 off 24 then come back for your normal 48 hour shift. YIKES!!

------------------

Braggfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

No way I want to work 48 on. We are too busy, at least at our structure stations. That second 24 would be a killer. It's terrible when we get mandatory overtime and have to do 72 hours.

smoketr911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

2 on??? I'm at Ft.Lewis, WA. There is no way I would want to stay here 2 days in a row. We average 2800 to 3000 calls a year. What we need to do is Unite as Federal firefighter, support firepac & IAFF to help us with issues as 72hr work week. Least we could try was the 60 hr that was proposed way back when.

[This message has been edited by smoketr911 (edited 05-23-2001).]

We just got the results of our voting and we will not be going to the 2 on 2 off deal!! Yeah!

Anyone working 24 on 48 off? Or any combo that has three shifts (A,B,C shift)(a 56 hour work week)?
    Sam Thomas, Firefighter/EMT, Barstow Federal FD

In Erie, we work a 24/72 hour schedule--we have 4 platoons. Most FD's that work a 24 hour shift are doing the 24/48. One of my friends in Fairfax, VA works 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on and then 96 off. And some of the guys in Eastern PA work the 10 hr days (3 in a row) followed by 3 days off followed by 14 hr nights (3 in a row) followed by 3 days off--Erie used to have this schedule until 2 years ago.
    Just thought this would help you out. Keep it safe. It's better to talk to you than to talk about you.

Thread Information