HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question DOD Certifications

Are you holding classes in station or are you sending people to schools? We are running the classess in station and it seems to be working well. By the end of next year we should have all our certifications. What are you doing about the Haz Mat certifications? We sent two people to Goodfellow to the Train the Trainer class. Now we are going to hold the classes in station.

Are you using them for promotions or new hires? We had a two year window put in place. This allows us to get up to speed. I just wanted to know how others are doing it.

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Unfortuneately, i work at a small arsenal and we don't have any money for training. We also lack the manpower to send anyone away to school. We only have 13 on the job including the chief and minimum staffing is just 4. The only way we have found we can do this DoD thing, is to send people to the NYS Fire Academy and challenge the pro board exams. Unfortuneately again, getting firefighter I & II that way, isn't any good until we get the DoD hazmat. Supposedly that is being worked on to get someone to come to us to get us the DoD hazmat. We have the two year window also and it is a good thing, because other wise there is no way we would make it. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Fedfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Most of our guys are doing the Air Force CDC courses. Talk about DRY! University of Kansas has some IFSAC accredited courses, but nothing above FO-1 and only driver /operator-pumper.

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We do our DOD stuff in house by bringing in an instructor from a state that is IFSAC acredited. For "real" training we use the CA State classes.

------------------
    Sam Thomas, Firefighter/EMT, Barstow Federal FD

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

WVA, or anyone...what 2 year window? I used to work federally, and got some DoD certs but they didn't match all my NFPA certs when we had that grace period. I'd like to try to keep them up so when I retire from my municple I may be able to return for 5-7 years to get some more fed time.

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our two year window was an agreement made by the Union. They will not use the DOD certifications for promotions and the like until we have held the classes in station, or two years. For the longest time our boss stated that the government would not pay for training for promotions. It was through working together that we got past this problem.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

ALSfirefighter - we were given two years from the date of inception that we had to have these DoD certs. We have all been grandfathered in to our current positions, but we can't get any promotions without the DoD. I think it was also something worked out with our union (NFFE), for a two year window. I would have to check at work to be sure about that though. stay safe

roofgoof23
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here at Ft. Drum in upstate ny we had a guy come from Ft. Gorden and teach us all haz-mat ops, and haz-mat ic. He was very good. For inspector 1 & 2 we had a guy come from maryland to teach. fire officer 1 we had the Pa state fire do it. We are now trying to get haz-mat tech. If you need any help you can e-mail me at truckie10@webtv.net my name is Karl

denny
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

WE are doing the certs by way of the IAFTA
    training manuals & then taking the pre -tests
    and cert tests on the computers..
    The dept. won't spend the money to send
    you or bring someone in..
    We have had some personnel use there own money & leave to go to some of the cert
    classes,mostly because pos.promotions might
    be comming up in near future.
    I think this DOD CERT. are a joke,at least
    as far as the ARMY runing there end..

Opinions are mine and not those of anyDept
    or oraganization which I may belong..

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I was DOD for 10 years, I thought the certs were a joke as well. When my life changed and I ended up needing to get into a City FD. My California FF I,II,and III certs did nothing for me. The only thing that saved me was my DOD Firefigher II cert with the IFSAC sticker on it.

Just goes to show, you may never know what will come in handy and I think when you are DOD, we sometimes do not appreciate the training you really get and the certfications and other training you get.

Just a thought.

Ex-Fed DOD

crashaxe77
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think the cert program can be benificial if used properly. Its hard to take seriously when firefighters that have only 3 to 4 years in are sent to classes to get fire officer 2 and 3 when their experence level is not developed enough to use the information and apply it. Further more, they are not placed in any position to use the training. Time and experence limits should be used as perrecs for some levels of certification.

[This message has been edited by crashaxe77 (edited 06-13-2001).]

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

WVA check with the other bases in your area someone should have been to the train the trainer for Haz Mat. As federal fire departments we should work together. Every base can't do it by themselves. Let me know if I can be of help.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

WVA14
    Firehouse.com Guest

HHoffman, unfortuneately, the only base relatively close, an hour and a half away, is west point. unfortuneately again, they are having bigger problems right now. on the plus side, i guess we are getting someone up here sometime in august to do our hazmat ops, so that will be taken care of. most of us have some sort of equivalency to get at least to the DoD firefighter I and/or officer I level. thanks for the offer and i'll let you know. if there is anything i can ever do to help anyone here, let me know. with all that is facing us fed firefighters, you are right, we need to stick together.

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

here at Andrew`s A.F.B. we send guys to goodfellow all the time. right now we have 2 down there and 3 just got back. as for my dod certs i have firefighter 1&2 haz-mat ops and ARFF. we are starting an in house emt class in july.

gifd2144
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello all new to this.
    We are a looking at different ways to get the certs we need. We asked the state if they would send an instructer to us and have bin in contact with an instructer from the air force reserve center out on LI to see if we could get our haz mat from him.We are on a "closed" Coast Guard Base and they aren't giving us any money for training its gonna come out of our pockets.

NTCFD_Lieut
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here at our two bases in western Utah, we have a negotiated three year window to get the certs done. Currently we have several state instructors in a state that are isfac approved and they are coing courses like gang busters. We also have several personnel doing CDC courses. We've been very lucky in that we've not had to send anyone too far to get thier training as of yet.

James Tarpley
    Tooele Army Depot FD

We have used Bucks County Fire Training center for Fire instructor 1 & 2, Fire Officer 1 & 2. Doing the CDC training sucks,I did it that way. Trouble getting the Fire Inspector and HAZMAT cources, still working at it. More efforts should've been made to the whole process. The Air Force has a mind set for military and can not relate to the civilian side. Only thing I can say is we need it and we will get by.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same

At Andrews we have been doing a little of everything from sending people to Goodfellow A.F.B and Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute or having them come in and teach. Along with the CDC program.

As for new hires and promations the new hires must have all of the Certs or they will not even come down on the list. As for promations
    the union and managment are still working that issue.

The one thing I have to say about all of the other branchs of services for DOD is that you need to have your Training Chief start beating down the doors for slots at Goodfellow for schools the slots are there. I have gone three times with in the last year and have not had one person in my class that was a DOD civilian employee from another branch of service they where all Military personal.

I work at Ft. Wainwright Alaska for the US Army. We are pretty well cut off from going to most CDC courses, so we pound'm out here and we make it work. It's not perfect, but its the best thing to come along in the Federal system since I've been around. It's the only way Fed FF's will get trained,...... we all know how the hiring is done. Its time for the Fed. Fire departments to come out of the dark! Saying "no one taught me" is pretty lame when you've got bugles, 15 years of service and a dead firefighter.

Forum Member

We are holding classes in house. We have all had the opportunity to get through Intructor 3, Inspector 3, Officer 2, and Hazmat IC. We contracted with MIFRI and another agency to get all classes that we need.

If your strapped for funds to send people to classes locally or through Goodfellow, try your guard or reserve units. Get with their respective fire chiefs and see if you can have instructors (hazmat train-the-trainers) etc..go on mandays to come to your location to teach the classes. All you have to pay for is per diem and travel. That's what happened at Andrews for the EMT course. the instructors were Air Reserve, total of three that were on orders that I worked. It was a pain in the rear but it was free to the department. (mainly because the instructors were not affilated with fire protection) Overall it cost the squadron about $900. We had three instructors that I coordinated for this course. The course ran 3 1/2 weeks. Only cost to the students was for the national registry and if they wanted the books to write in. Or you could coordinate with other departments that have what you need and send your people their for a couple of weeks. We also had a HazMat tech class, over 20 people certified, and it took maybe two weeks. Another option would be to enroll all of your folks in the AF CDC program, which is free, in the same course and have someone teach the course in line with the CDCs, take the certest, and complete the practical as if you were in school. Hope that helps.

Thread Information