Default Transfer to another Federal Fire Dept.

I am a Federal Firefigther (6 1/2 Years)on the East Coast and I would like to move closer to home(KS,OK). I would like any information that might be helpful in transferring to another Fed FD. I have made phone calls and have been told "not hiring right now, keep watching the internet..." Is there a way to transfer between depts without going through the normal street application process? It seems each branch of the military does it different. Any help or advise is much appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

I would sugest trying the Air National Guard Bases and simply try and work somthing out. There is one in Tulsa, Ok City, Topeica,KS (Dont know how to spell), also just try the active duty bases. your best bet would be to talk to each individual base
    let me know if im not clear

pat

Forum Member

What branch are you working for? The Air Force has a Central Skills Bank where you can put in for geographic preferences. We've got openings in Michigan.

Joe

The easiest way to obtain another federal job is to be patient, have the certifications they want and them some. And check the job listing. I have been fortunate enough to have just been offered a job on the East Coast, So I am finally leaving CA.

Forum Member

Another way to transfer is to look at the OPM website for GS-0081 Firefighter jobs/
    openings. You can specify what geographic area you want. Then specify what salary is the lowest you will accept. Be careful, and go thru the salary ranges one at a time, otherwise you might miss an opening at a place you may want to transfer to.

Pay careful attention to the announcement, make sure it is open (they almost always are)
    to current Federal employees. Put in as a transfer (anybody can do that after 90 days in the Federal service), and indicate the lowest grade you will accept, paying close attention to both the entry grade and target grade. If you are now a GS6 081, you should qualify for another GS6 081 UNLESS where you are going has Airfield firefighter and you dont have that now, OR you are a driver now and dont have the certs for a particular apparatus that they require...like ladder truck or water tender.

One good thing is that after displaced former Federal employees, and bases getting closed, you are next on the priority list to get hired over somebody from the outside with no prior Federal service....

Thanks for all of the info.

Thread Information