Forum Member

Default Local Gov Wants $ to Run Calls to Fed Bldgs

I work at Ft Myer in Arlington, VA. Last week the fire chief for Arlington Co and Rep Moran asked the Pentagon for $4.5 million this year and $1.5 every year after that to run calls to federal buildings. We cover Arlington National Cemetery, Henderson Hall (Marine Base), the Iwo Jima Memorial, Ft Myer and have a crash station on the Pentagon grounds. The county says that since they don't receive property tax from these places that they should receive the money. We are 2nd due to the Pentagon. We don't run from the crash station because our only mission there is to cover flights. There are 2 other facilities that are less than 2 miles from us that we don't cover because the county has stations closer.
    The county initially said that 11 percent of their calls are to federal buildings. Our Union President had a meeting with the Aid at Congressman Morans office along with an A/C from Arlington yesterday. It was found out that they are counting calls to rented offices that are privately owned and are paying taxes on, so the actual number is closer to 5%.
    We are currently studying the matter of putting an als unit in the station to relieve some of the burden that the county has, to see if we can do it more economically.
    Let me know your thoughts on this and PLEASE let your representatives know to not let this happen otherwise every jurisdiction will want to cash in on this if they have 1 federal office building in their area.

Thanks and Stay Safe

I am not a federal firefighter, however, a majority of our suppression calls are run with the federal fire service (Fort Meade Engine and Truck 45). These guys, having to be one of the busiest in the federal fire service come off the instillation numerous times a day. As a matter of fact, I may get nailed for this one, but I look forward to these guys coming to a job, whether it be rescue or fire.
    Anyhow, there is no talk of money. If anything, Ft Meade gets slated when it comes to receiving assistance like reserve apparatus. But they continue to come off the instillation and provide some of the best fire & EMS service that is around these parts.
    Our problem is getting their medics dispatched initially on the calls. That is a federal deal that is way up the chain of command. Maybe the people you are requesting help from has their priorities in the wrong order. The way I see it, letting $$$$ get in the way of brothers calling for help, well, their head may be in the wrong place.
    stay safe and good luck.
    LT - ENGINE AND TRUCK 28
    ODENTON FIRE EXPRESS, "ENGINE 283!"

This may be a blessing in disguise for you guys. If the local jurisdiction requests payments for this service you may be able to prove that it may be cost effective for your command to increase your department by adding an additional engine company or additional personnel to the present allowance. You may be able to add a few personnel to the heliport station and counting it as an engine company. Just a few thoughts.

Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot
    Fire & Emergency Services

MembersZone Subscriber

Opie

There are many Fire Departments in the country serving federal buildings with no Federal Firemen anywhere near them. Do you perceive Arlington's request for funds as a threat to your existence? I hope it would never come to that. Could you ever completely take over protection without needing the help from them? Cliff brings up a great point about an engine, but what about special services like the need for multiple truck companies and squads? If the answer is no do you think they have a claim to some funds?

MembersZone Subscriber

.....also, when I posted the above reply, I had no idea there would be a 3 alarm fire in the Pentagon one hour later!

Forum Member

The fire at the Pentagon I think shows Arlington County that, although they do run calls to federal buildings, they can't do it by themselves. Besides Ft Myer there were 3 other jurisdictions that responded to the call (Fairfax County, Alexandria and National Airport). Even though they run these calls they still need help so do they pay the other jurisdictions for their service. National Airport provides a medic unit quite often to the county when they run low or have the closest one available. I think that fire yesterday was good and bad for us both.

Thread Information