Default Pay and Retirement

Here is a subject to kick around. How do you feel about the TSP retirement plan( rather than a pension plan) and the longer hours for the same pay than our city or county FD counter parts that work a 56 or 48 hour work schedule. Are there any discussion to lower our working hours without cut in pay( I know most of are pay is based off of OT). With the retirement that we have. Most of every city, state and county FD out here in California are going to the 3% at 50. Probably other states have similiar or better pensions. Probably had this subject in the past, but I am fairly new here. Any reply would be appreciated.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: James Miller ]
    IAFF Local F-298

James Miller
    You would think that there would be more interest in this subject.

I don't know of any DoD wide intiative to lower the hours we work. I am not sure if the rewrite of the 081 series will touch that subject either. I was one of those guys that "hired in at the right time", and was told that shorter work week was "looking good" back in 85'. Of course, we all know that the paybill that passed 3 years ago took all of our efforts and focus in DC. Perhaps now that there has been a reasonable amount of time since our last time at the Federal trough , we could start another campaign for the shorter work week (with no loss of pay).

Any one else with an opinion? AFGE guys, anything from your people?
    Roy Colbrunn (Tank)
    IAFF Local F-88 Sec/Treas

I am no expert at politics, but I don't think we will see a shorter workweek and not lose any pay. Especially with the current Administration looking to contract out more federal jobs including fire fighting. All our efforts will be better put to use if we concentrate on fighting off the contracting out issue. I know that some may think that it isn’t going to happen but we are closer to losing our jobs to contractors now than we ever have been since the moratorium was passed several years ago.

Jim,
    Trying to compare pension systems over different localities is very difficult. There are many areas where the federal pension is actually much better than the municipal. Especially with the TSP thrown in. A young guy getting on the job at say 22 yrs. old, who contributes the maximum to TSP, retires at 47, and keeps the TSP active until say 62, will get an awful lot of money. Try it on the TSP web site.

The same is true with salaries, there are areas where people actually leave the municipal dept to go to the feds. Take a municipal 56 hour work week, add a part time job, and they are actually working more hours than us in some areas. I guess it all depends on where you live.

Hey Tank, I remember being on the job, seeing legislation actually pass to reduce our hours, then watching former pres carter VETO it, after he had promised IAFF President McClellan that he would sign it if we could get it passed and to his desk. Just a bit of history.

Joe Love
    IAFF F-61

JFL3rd

President Carter!!! I thought we had a mandatory retirement age! Actually, I remember that happening while I was in the reserves prior to my fed career.

Joe, you are right about the different retirement systems but on the whole, most municipal departments have a better paying retirement than we do, in my opinion. TSP has made ours better than before by allowing more individual control over how a portion of our pensions are invested, but there are many "ifs". IF you invest the max, IF you take some risk (C & F funds), IF the choices you made do well, IF you do it for a long time.

FedFirefighter, we are probably safer from contracting out right now than we have been in many years. With all the talk about taking federal control over the security at airports because the "contract" firms were underpaid and poorly trained, I think it would be political suicide to suggest "contracting" federal fire departments. Add to this the high public opinion of the fire service at this time, contracting us out is not something that concerns me. It still bears watching, but it is certainly not the highest threat to us currently.
    Roy Colbrunn (Tank)
    IAFF Local F-88 Sec/Treas

Thread Information