Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Pentagon Plane Crash - Was there Federal Firefighters There?

I know that Arlington County Fire Dept was actually "in charge" of that recent tragic event, but I was wondering whether or not the Pentagon Fire protection was actually Federal Firefighters, or Arlington County.

I know that there are alot of bases in that area (Henderson Hall, Ft. Meyers, etc) maybe one of them had a station there? Does anybody know?

Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

Yes, Ft. Meyer has a station there, it is called the Heleport station. The crash happened in very close proximity to the station destroying the apparatus. I am not sure about the station, most important is that a couple of the firefighters received injuries after the crash. I hear they made a valiant effort in trying to get the apparatus in service but was unable to do so. due to the massive fire.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

I was wondering if the guys were actually able to work the scene. After seeing the pictures I noticed that the apparatus bay was about 100' to the left of the impact. Don't know if I could have worked after that near miss
    To all who worked the Pentagon... Good Job!!!
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

The Ft. Meyer FFs who were at the Heliport Station received various burn injuries. Apparently after the apparatus failed to operate, they donned their gear and immediately began making rescues. Both of Ft. Meyer's engines responded (red and white to left of heliport station in photos) and began initial master stream ops and also water supply for two National Airport ARFF Vehicles. Hats off to Fort Meyer FD for an outstanding job. I hope they will get the credit they deserve.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info chief (and Capt301a)! Now I need to find out if "our" guys
    (Federal Firefighters) are in AFGE or the IAFF, and try to contact them. As a Federal firefighter for a number of years, I come to realize that we do more with less, work more hours than City folks, and get paid a lot less!

This is a perfect opportunity for us to show the media (and our CO's) what it is exactly we do! What better thing than this example of the Ft. Meyer guys being there when the plane took a nose dive, taking control, doing what they are trained to do, etc.?

I haven't heard ANYTHING in the media about the Federal guys...only Arlington County Fire...We can use the publicity...anybody out there who can get me connected with the Ft. Meyer Union? Thanks...

Hey Devil,
    I am sure that Ft. Myer Fire Dept. is IAFF...I used to be a Fed. before going to D.C.. I just can't remember there local #, but if you can get in touch with the Ft. Belvoir Fire Dept. they can put you in touch with a point of contact. Ask for FF O'neill at F.B.F.D. Stay Safe.

DD4, As you already know, Ft. Myers FD had brothers on the scene, as well as respond to the Pentagon. Ft. Belvoir's training officer was in teaching a class at Ft. Myers. Went with them to the scene. Contributed in 5 saves.

FMFD is IAFF. Not real sure on the local number, but I think it is F-253. You can contact Mike O'Neill, who is president of Ft. Belvoir's local at iafff273@aol.com

Stay Safe

Also,( must be losing too many brain cells, forgot to add this to my earlier post), Ft. Belvoir FD IAFF F-273, sent personnel to assist the MDW Engineers from the time of the occurance to the time when the FBI took over and announced it as a crime scene. This was about 12 day. FBFD, also transfered a staffed engine to assist FMFD for 2 weeks.

On the discussion regarding recognition of our Federal Fire Fighters at the Pentagon, if any one saw the National Mourning on CNN, apparently right after it they interviewed 3 fire fighters, and 2 of them were from Ft. Meyers. Pretty good exposure for a difficult situation.

Joe Love
    IAFF F-61

Thread Information