Forum Member

Default Federal Fire Depts and WMD incidents

I just found out that the Defense Appropriations bill requires DOD to report to Congress the ability of each DOD installation to respond to WMD incidents, and that in general, Federal Fire Depts are being tasked with establishing and maintaining WMD response teams!

I guess my question(s) would be:

Is your Federal Fire Dept equiped for this?

Have you gotten any training for this?

I can speak only for myself and my Dept...
    even after all the terrible recent events I can say "IT AINT HAPPENNING HERE!"

Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

Being a chemical weapons storage site, we have been fortunate to have support on the installation that crosses over into the WMD world. We have taken the NFA courses taught on site by MFRI for WMD Technician, EMS and Incident Commander. Of course we could not be fully prepared. I do not believe we will ever be. We are a single station operation with at the most 7 on duty at a time. We would be overwhelmed real soon if an large scale incident was to happen. I do not believe DoD could possibly give us enough to be fully prepared. We are in an area that the outside municpal agencies do not compare favorably to DoD standards. This leaves us in a bad situation when relying on Mutual Aid for support functions.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

Wright-Patterson AFB has 4 stations and a 30 man minimum manning that could not handle anything but the smallest incident. We have had some WMD training and participated in a drill with the Dayton Fire Department, but we are just scratching the surface. This looks to be another job dropped on the fire department along with haz-mat, confined space rescue, EMS, high angle rescue, inspections, certifications and all the other responsibilities that we have placed upon us. These are all inherently fire department jobs but there needs to be more support than another book and a certification to hang on the wall. We need more manpower and better pay/hours to retain those people that we do train rather than loosing them to the municipal departments around us. Just my 2 cents.
    Roy Colbrunn (Tank)
    IAFF Local F-88 Sec/Treas

I agree with Tank, how much more do they want. Have them open their wallets and show full support, then we'll talk. It would be a nice concept, but more manpower, money and training is need. And please don't tell me that the Air Force will come up with the training. The DoD cert program they put together is still a sore subject with me.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same

Thread Information