Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default MORE THOUGHTS REQUESTED

This past January I requested that our readers submit some ideas for articles for the Structural Wildfire Interzone (SWI) column. My thanks to those that responded to that request. They were fast and few. The article ideas are on my list of things to do. Surely there must be more than 3 or 4 fire folks out there with some more ideas for the SWI column. Come on ladies and gentlemen, submit those ideas! Thank you, in advance.
    DFCWINS

trk1
    Firehouse.com Guest

maybe you could get someone from california with lots of "real" big wildland structural interface firefighting experience to write about conflagrations

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

trk1:

You are from somewhere in illinois? Did you have "real" big wildland/urban interface conflagrations there? Let's be professional out there.

DFCWINS

Bj
    Firehouse.com Guest

how about the anatomy of a progressive hose lay w/ the use of 1 1/2 inch single jacket cotton hose... and doing it w/ WILDLAND safety gear NOT stuctural turn-out gear....

------------------
    don't tell someone how to do something, tell them what to do and they will suprise you with their ingenuity

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, BJ. And yes, structural bunker PPE should NOT be worn at wildland fires under most conditions. Especially never wear those heavy rubber boots.

RMW

------------------

WAYNECHIEF45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many states have people that leave their jobs and families at a moments notice to help with the forest fires in all states in the union.
    A possible story could be the which states have casual programs, how often they are used and what techniques these firefighters that don't do this for a living.
    I have been doing this since 1988 and find each response a different experince.

K.G. Lockwood
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for the New Hampshire Forest Fire Service & have experience with SWI. As recently as Aug.98 was in Texas w/a Strike Team of Engs.to assist with fire control. Any info you would like from the east coast feel free to give me an e-mail.

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dear WayneChief 45

As you are aware, before structural firefighters travel beyond their home states to fight fires elswhere, they must be thoroughly cross trained, cross equipped, Red Carded, physically ready and prepared to spend a maximum of three weeks away from home. They must also be fully insured against LODD or injuries. Families must have this protection. This may vary from state to state. A signed MOU/agreement is also essential. A strike team from Pennsylvania, on its way to Florida last year, was actually turned around enroute because the strike team had no insurance coverage. I'll add your idea for an educational article on out of state travel to the list.

DFCWINS

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

How about an overview of what classes are available dealing with wildland ops? We require all firefighters to have basic wildland training and additional courses appropiate for their position.

------------------

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief Ray R:
    Thanks for another great idea to bring to the attention of FIREHOUSE readers. There are, as you know, many wildfire operation's courses that a firefighter can participate in. The key is to find out when, where and who is giving the classes. That info can be found by contacting a county, state or federal wildland fire agency.

RMW

Captain Hickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

RayR
    If you are looking for some information on
    Wildland Fire Training from the US Forest Service:
    A Multi-Agency Fire Training Schedule:
    can be found at
    http://www.r8web.com:80/spf/fire_train.htm
    Site is for the Southern Region of the Forest Service but the Multi-Agency link covers the largest part of the U.S. Some are in the Hot Springs and Rapid City areas also.

Good Luck and Hope you find what you're looking for.

[This message has been edited by Captain Hickman (edited February 27, 1999).]

CD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have you contacted the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection? They are the driving force in wildland fire fighting in California. My experience with CDF is that they are very generous with training other agencies and have made responding to the wildland urban interface problem their first priority. It is my understanding that they have consolidated with the California State Fire Training Office and have taken the lead role in fire service training in California.I have visited their fire academy and it is an impressive facility.

Thread Information