BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Leaf Blowers for Fire Control

I would Like to Know if any one else utilizes Leaf Blowers to Control Small or Intermediate Size Grass Fires, we have experimented with it and have Great sucess with this tool. I would Like more input on proper use and Limitations.

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

FSRIZZIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've used them for 4 or 5 years now. They work great for clearing a line in the woods, faster than rakes, easy to maintain. That's about all I think you can do with them though, blow things around.
    Be Safe, Frank

[This message has been edited by FSRIZZIO (edited August 19, 1999).]

AFFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Leaf blowers in my area have been a big thing for about 5 years now and they wrok really great. Another new thing that is working well and is deffintly a good compliment with the leaf blower are weadeaters(trimmers) with blades or hedge trimmer heads or both. They all cut down on the time the fire line produced and cuts way back the amount of manpower. This is what we have come to use a lot of lately in Pa. Gettysburg areas.

j crooke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

That really works?? I've never heard of such a thing.....!!

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

A department in my area uses backpack gas powered orchard sprayers. These not only move the leaves but mists them with a fine water spray. I guess they work well, the dept. has used them for years.
    Be Safe
    Dan

Captain Hickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Missouri, we have been using backpack blowers for several years. The State Conservation Commission started about 15 to 16 years ago by using wheeled units. They proved to big and hard to use. They then started with the backpack type. In our situation of hard wood leaves and light grass they work well. Although using them on grass or tall grass is not the best, unless you want to burn a lot of area. But in leaves and wooded area they do the work of at least two rakes, Broom rakes are the choice in this country. I have heard of using weed eater with the metal blade for cutting through small brush, vines, and blackberries. Although I have not used a weed eater on a fire line, I could see the benifits of making it easier to get through some of the mess.
    As far as safety, using the back pack blowers, we require eye and ear protection, along with nomax shirts, gloves, good work boots, and hard hats. None of it Structural gear.

[This message has been edited by Captain Hickman (edited August 21, 1999).]

AFFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the Pa. it is hard for our departments to get issued nomex wildland gear. I guess that is because most inital units on these type of calls are Volunteer fire deparments and if they do not buy personel or deparmently you just do not get it. For the most part the safety concerns are usually addressed and the trimmer seems safer than using a chainsaw to get through luaral and other types of fuels like that. I think you need to see the units in action to really apprietate their ability and if you have you know what I mean. I have never heard about using the backpack orchard sprayer. Do they put out the same CFMs as the leafblowers? I like the idea of the tank becuase I would think that you could put foam in the tank to be able to treat the fireline. Are they as heavy as the the water bladders or even the old metal Indian Tanks? I know our leaf blowers are not as heavy. What type of blowers, saws, timmers, and sprayers do you folks use.

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

AFFF;
    In reference to the orchard sprayers, I am not sure as to the CFM in comparison to leaf blowers, but I will try to find out for you. The weight is about the same as a full 5 gal. bladder. The ones they use are on a metal backpack frame. Have appx. 2 gal H2O and small 2 stroke engine to drive blower.
    Be Safe
    Dan

Jmorgan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here in NW Arkansas
    we have blowers on the trucks but we don't get many fires. We use rakes and water because most of the fires are very small. We are in a high fire danger right now so maybe we'll have some fires that we can test on. Ill let you know!

Im a red card holder and when i went through the practical tests we used council rakes, leaf blowers, and leaf rakes.

Jason

ff emt-p bleve
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have been using leaf / mist blowers for years in the woodlands of eastern ky.They do the work of 4 men vs rakes.You need hearing protection and lookouts due to the user being unable to hear on the fireline.REMEMBER your packing FUEL ON YOUR BACK so take care when using.The operator should be trained well in the use of this tool. Lets be safe.

[This message has been edited by ff emt-p bleve (edited August 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ff emt-p bleve (edited August 25, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ff emt-p bleve (edited August 25, 1999).]

ff emt-p bleve
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

HEY ANYONE OUT THERE.WHATS DOES THE NFPA THINK ABOUT LEAF BLOWERS BEING USED ON THE FIRE LINE.ANY STANDARDS OR RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE NWCG.ANY PROBLEMS WITH THERE USE.
    WE HAVE SET OUR OWN SOP'S ON THERE USE IN HOUSE, HOWEVER DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A LOT OF INFORMATION ABOUT LEAF BLOWERS. .THEY DO A GREAT JOB FOR US HERE IN KENTUCKY HARDWOODS.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Leaf blowers work great for getting backfires going. You just have to be careful and not blow the fire out. The air flow will make the fire's intensity and spread grow very rapidly. The fire can even be pushed against a breeze, but not against a strong wind.
    I use one to help get brush pile fires going on the back 40.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I've never heard of this before, but this is a great idea. I'm going to have to bring this up at drill on Monday...

Forum Member

have you ever gotten it to extuinguish liquids fires?

Forum Member

Default leaf blower

you will want to check out an article i found a find articles.com leaf blower for fire control

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by abdulcroft
    you will want to check out an article i found a find articles.com leaf blower for fire control
    If you want information on blowers use during fireline construction log on to.
    http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/olrep.html

Click on Project 17
    Last edited by coldfront; 01-30-2006 at 11:06 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Default Tennessee

Div. of Forestry in TN uses leaf blowers and they seem to work wonders. The only thing you need to consider is the ground moisture. If its a really dry season the blowers wont clear away the duff thats lying underneath. For that only the good ol rake job will do.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking We use them in Arkansas

My dept. and many other's I know use Leaf Blowers.

Forum Member

We have been using blowers for awhile. Great for clearing a path for a break, blowing burning leaves into the black and back fires. Ours are getting a work out right now.

Thread Information