ks_wildlandfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Osborne Fire Finder

I know this will probably be a long shot but here goes. A gentleman contacted me a few days ago looking for possible source(s) to buy a couple Osborne Fire Finders. The Fire Finder is/was used by lookout towers to locate fires. It looks something like an overgrown brass compass. To my knowledge, they aren't even made anymore and the remaining few are probably either still in use in fire towers or on display in a museum.

Like I said, I know it's a long shot but if anyone would have any info. that may help, I would really appreciate it. I guess the next best thing would be to get photos and very detailed dimensions and try to build a replica. Any help in that area would be great too.

Contact me either through the forums or my email: ks_wildlandfire@yahoo.com
    Thanks.

Casey McCoy
    Rural Fire Coordinator
    Kansas Forest Service

cbp3
    Firehouse.com Guest

just so you know, the tool is properly called an aledaide, I think, and as far as I know, they are still available. We bought a couple a few years back, although the person responsible for them isn't here at this time.
    Good Luck!

J.Watt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Try contacting your USFS Regional, State and Local Coordinator. They might be able to tell you who makes them now or find a used one in someone's warehouse. Try WAJAX Pacific, Inc., or there may still be one listed in the federal GSA Wildland fire catalog. GSA is on the net and can be searched.

Thread Information