Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Nomex or Indura ???

I have a question for all of you Wildland FF's out there. Is there any Standard, NFPA or otherwise, that requires the use of Nomex for wildland firefighting gear??

Have any of you had any experiences with Indura? (Which to my knowledge is a cotton fabric that is treated with a flame retardant.)

Which do you prefer? And why?

------------------
    Marc

The opinions presented here are my own, and not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

"In Omnia Paratus"

ddavis
    Firehouse.com Guest

NFPA 1977-1998 covers the PPE used by wildland firefighters, shirts, pants, coveralls, helmets, gloves, boots, and the fire shelter. It does not specifically require Nomex or Indura for the clothing, but sets the protection values the clothing must have in order to be certified. It is my understanding that you can now buy clothing made from heavy Indura that has certification to NFPA 1977, but I have no experience with it.

The USDA Forest Service requires it's firefighters to wear Forest Service approved PPE, which is made from Nomex, and is the standard 5.5 oz/sq yd yellow shirt and 7.5-8 oz/sq yd green pants available to Government employees from GSA and is certified to NFPA 1977. I have worn it for years and like it fine.

Thread Information