Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    OCFireEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post what do you guys carry in your wildland gear?

all you state/fed guys have these great packs for wildland fires, and i would just like to know what you carry in them.

im updating my personal brush gear's contents, and would like some input.

what do you carry in your pack, on your web gear, and what do you carry in your strike team bags?

thanks,
    Joe

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Web Gear - canteen, fire shelter, compass, roll of flagging tape

Pack - Fusees, headlamp, spare batteries for radio, signal mirror, extra pair of socks, small roll of TP, two canteens. And for night shift or predicted bad weather, a brush coat.

Shirt pocket - notepad and pen

Red Bag - Socks, Underwear,T-Shirts,
    toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, etc
    pair of camp shoes and a pair of jeans

OCFA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hey Joe,

Iam a full time firefighter for the Orange County Fire Authority at Fire Station #22 in Laguna Hills.

We carry our extra gear and **** in those bags such as extra nomex coats and water, all the nessasities for being on the line.

Ask your post advisior for more info.

OCFA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Joe,

You are probably at Fire Station #46 for you post so go ahead and talk to Bob Hutnyan about your question, I wont tell you everything else the bag contains, so you can investigate this for yourself, that is how we learn.

cbp3
    Firehouse.com Guest

While most of the things carried in the red pack are personal supplies, remember many of us are subject to weight limitations. (55 lbs. total here)
    Still, two things you'll find most "old-timers" carry are a lightweight but roomy tent, and possibly more important: a "space blanket". They're light, and can be used as a poncho, a blanket when it's cold on those night shifts, a makeshift tent, etc. I tell all our prospective crew to bring the blanket. We've never regretted it!

brittd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

A couple of things I didn't see mentioned for IA gear that I carry are 2 MREs for 24 hours of food, sweatshirt for overnighters, spare gloves, canteen cup, small bastard file and a hand spanner attached to my web gear.

Another thing I am going to experiment with next season is a cammel back. Eagle gear makes an attachment (which I just got) for their Eagle Pack. I converted from canteens for backpacking this summer and couldn't believe the difference in reduced muscle fatigue, and need for breaks. Hopefully, the same results will be seen on the line.

RxFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Joe -

in addition I have the fireline handbook, clif bars (or similar type of energy snack), extra batteries, Long sleve shirt (in place of sweatshirt... no room in my pack for such a bulky thing), space blanket and nylon rain poncho. Also, I have a CTR book, Helicopter manfest book, weather kit (stripped down to the psychrometer, tables, and book... I have a kestrel wind meter inplace of the standard anemomenter. I also try to always have a fresh box of batteries. Also, 6qts of water, 4-6 fusees, and a couple of carabiners for attaching gloves, siggs, or such. All told, my pack is about 30 pounds I think when on a fire before I drink any water. And last but not least is a large handful of P-cord... useful for everything from extra boot laces to tying up the poncho and space blanket to make a shelter.

But then again, I don't work off an engine, instead being similar to a hotshot.

For my Red bag, the usual, socks, one pair of extra nomex, "civilian clothes", etc.

cbp3 - I believe the weight limit has been upped to 65lbs.

Dave
    National Park Service Fire Use Modules

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What the heck is wildland gear? What ever happened to Smith's Indian tanks, fire swatters, Shovels, and axes! Thats all ya need for the fire, at least thats all we carry. Haven't had a large fire yet, biggest was 575 acres. They said the satalite's are good for modern forest and wild fire detection, but it has to be so big before it is detected, and by then it's too late. We still have one tool that has worked great for over 90 years-a couple good old fashion fire towers. The government urged many districts to switch to spotter planes, and satalite, because it was modern times, the towers were dangerous and obsolete-Just so they wouldn't have to pay for them to be kept up to standard usage.

Thread Information