TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Brush Fire Response

When responding to a brush fire how many units are sent out on the first alarm?. Out here my department operates two statios but we work very close with the various departments from around the area we'll send Two Engine's, 1 Truck,, 1 Paramedic Unit and A BC along with several other units from outher fire departments,

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Depends on the time of year. During the winter we MIGHT sent 1 type 6 engine or MAYBE 1 type 3, all depends on the call taken and the information given.

During the summer all bets are off, w/ FM at 1-5%, and RH in single digits, and Temp at 100 F +, anything is possible.

During the summer the 1st alarm is normally 2 type 3 engines, 1 type 6 engine, and 2 OH. Move-up occurs, with notification to other OH of incident in progress.

Zimm

Chris Deyerle - FF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well on July 16, 2000 around 15:59 we got toned out for a brush fire. I was the closest there so I went in POV and I did have my turnout gear w/ me. At the time I did not have a hand held radio w/me. When I got on the road smoke was clearly visible. I got on scene and it was field, pine trees, and junk yard w/ cars in it. All was fully involved. So I got on the cell phone with base and told them to tell 6** (wich is our chief) that fire was in a junk yard and fire nearing the structures in a trailer park. All we had en-route was brush unit, pumper, and tanker of first alarm. 6** got on scene and call for additional unit. Our second taker got in route. Then 3 automatic aids and 2 mut aids. Final conditions of fire was 30 acres, 51 cars, and 1 trailer. Temp was 101, Hum:38%, and winds: NE at 5 MPH. 15 people from my department was on scene and 48 with all the other departments. Supply method was tankers. Used 12,500 gallons of water. Hose used was 400 foot of 1 and 3/4 inch and 50 foot 3 inch. It was about a 4 in a half hour fire. But responce of trucks and other departments really depen on the time of season and weather conditions. That day was like hell. But luckly no one was hurt.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle - HSFD
    Fine'em Hot
    Leave'em Wet
    ALL VOLENTEERS FF

Brat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Our response area is almost 700 square miles, with over 26 miles to the farthest point so we roll a lot of power to all fires. A wildland, mostly grass and/or hay and maybe a few trees, fire gets 2 type 6 engines, a type 2 engine, and 2 type 3 engine/tenders. We also roll a support van, exta hand tools and potable pump. We also have mutual aid agreements with all our neighbors,some over 50 miles away. Any fire that is known to threaten structures or hay yards automatically rolls mutual aid. All others are at the discression of the commanding officer, usally based on weather and/or terrain.

Bj
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

California in the middle of the summer: 8 type 3's, 2 20 person inmate fire crews, 1 dozer, 2 S-2T airtankers, 1 OV-10 Bronco "Air Attack" spotter plane, 1 Bell 205 "super huey" with a 8-person helitack crew, and whatever local gov. resources are near by...

gls779
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Augusta co. Va as a Vol. fire co. we seen 1 brush truck and 1 tanker for smoke investigations. For fires we send 2 of each on 1st alarm.
    The Va forestry Dept. will respond with one engine, 1 or 2 dozer, and a hotshot crew at the request of the fire co. As for fires in National forest I'm not sure what there standard response is.

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is a copy of our city's

Brush Fire Safety Plan

The City of Monrovia has developed a brush fire emergency operational plan that includes an evaluation of the hazards and the fire fighting resources necessary. We train and exercise the plan often.

In building fires we have developed a plan of protecting people inside the structure where they can be separated from the fire. In wildland fires, using "Sheltering In Place" could protect residents in their homes while allowing fire apparatus to gain access to the fire area. Other agencies use this concept until it is safe to control "egress" from hillside areas during a fire. A wind-driven brush fire in Southern California provided actual experience where fire fighters stayed in a vehicle during the time a fire "over ran them" and no one was injured. It is very important that fire fighters follow directions and the training they have learned in fighting brush fires, and it will be critical that Monrovia citizens learn and understand the important steps in the "Sheltering In Place" procedures.

By using a "sheltering" concept we can control the vehicles and people leaving an area thus providing for ample access for fire apparatus. Fire safe areas include all of the following:

Access Roadways. Provide roads of appropriate widths with adequate fuel modification on each side of the roadway.

Water and Hydrants. Provide fire hydrants with adequate water supply and hydrant spacing.

Building Protection. New buildings are constructed with fire resistive roofs, enclosed eaves, dual pane windows, and residential fire sprinklers. Existing buildings should have any wood shake roof coverings replaced with fire resistive roofs.

Fuel Modification. Remove hazardous vegetation to the degree necessary to provide adequate clearance between the brush areas and homes. To learn how to complete brush clearance or for more information call the Fire Department at 256-8181.

"Sheltering In Place" is the preferred protective action when the risks of evacuation are outweighed by the benefits of "sheltering". Evacuation should be done when the benefit of evacuation outweighs the risk of evacuation.

During a hillside fire, the City may decide to immediately block the roadways to control egress (exiting) and ingress (preventing unauthorized persons from entering), when this occurs the following instructions must be strictly followed by residents.

Follow Police or Fire personnel specific instructions. If egress (exiting) is not permitted, remain inside the house away from the side of the house where the fire is approaching from, and away from windows. Turn on a television for news information.

Do not block the roadways or streets. Keep vehicles off the street unless moving.

If allowed to exit, follow the directions from Police or Fire personnel and keep vehicles along the right side of the roadway. Do not pass other vehicles. If fire apparatus is approaching, pull to the right side of roadway edge or curb. Leave the area completely until notified to return.

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com

Thread Information