SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb 2000 WILDFIRE SEASON OVER?

Is the 2000 Wildfire Season over? Good question. For most of us, it is. NIFC has reduced its Daily Situation Reports to a weekly report. However, there were fires burning in the states of NC, KY, VA, MO and IL as of this posting. California has been unusually quiet and can have fires at anytime. The latest 2000 fire stats from NIFC are as follows:
    There were over 7 million (reported)acres burned; over 88 thousand (reported) wildland fires; $878 million in firefighting costs; a reported total of 852 structures destroyed at W/UI fires. Many fire agencies do not report their wildland fire losses to NIFC and this makes the true fire loss statistics even higher.

I am writing my last SWI (W/UI) related article for this year for the December issue of FIREHOUSE. I am asking for assistance from the faithful readers of this forum and FIREHOUSE Magazine for ideas and suggestions on what they would like to see for articles during the year 2001. Post those ideas and suggestions in this forum or email them to me.

Thank you, in advance, and have a very safe Holiday Season.

------------------
    DFCWINS

OneLick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think the 2000 season is over by a long shot. If we don't get any rain here in the east, it's going to be '98 all over again. By the way, a friend of mine was a squad boss on the crew that you mentioned in your article in the latest issue, he got all excited when he found out it was his crew you wrote about. How about some articles about a shot crew or how to get hired by the boys in green, or how to get training through nifc since eastern gacc won't post their training schedule. I've been trying to get a s-234, s-390, and some other s level and I level classes, but I can't find a schedule. Any help would be appreciated.
    OneLick

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by OneLick:
    I don't think the 2000 season is over by a long shot. If we don't get any rain here in the east, it's going to be '98 all over again. By the way, a friend of mine was a squad boss on the crew that you mentioned in your article in the latest issue, he got all excited when he found out it was his crew you wrote about. How about some articles about a shot crew or how to get hired by the boys in green, or how to get training through nifc since eastern gacc won't post their training schedule. I've been trying to get a s-234, s-390, and some other s level and I level classes, but I can't find a schedule. Any help would be appreciated.
    OneLick
    Thanks for the reply and for the ideas on future articles. For some reason the Eastern Area has been a bit slow with getting the word out to those firefighters that want to obtain the required wildland training courses. Try contacting the Eastern Area Coordination Center at: (612)713-7300 or the web site: www.fs.fed.us/eacc/

------------------
    DFCWINS

[This message has been edited by SWIDFCWINS (edited November 04, 2000).]

KG Lockwood
    Firehouse.com Guest

No I don't believe the 2000 season is over bye a longshot! I've been to VA. over Thankgiving a few years ago in similiar conditions to what they have there now.

It could extend well into December this year.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

For me the Season is over by choice. I have had 4 calls this past week to go to Kentucky and South Carolina and Oklahoma on both Hot Shot crew and Type 6 & Type 1 engines. Wish I had more time to go but the full time job beckons.

This is one of the Type 1's we send out on a Strike Team.
    Take care,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

monte
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

For training information, one of the better one stop places to go is:
    www.fire.nps.gov/firetraining

From this site you can also access MATS.

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by monte:
    For training information, one of the better one stop places to go is:
    www.fire.nps.gov/firetraining

From this site you can also access MATS.
    Thank you, Monte from Missoula. I have checked out the above URL for wildland training and found it to be of great value for both wildland and structural firefighters who wish to obtain more training. Thanks, again!

------------------
    DFCWINS

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

For now the wildfire season here in Texas is over as we have had a bunch of rainfall this month but as most Texans will tell you anything can happen here and all it takes to start a wildfire is the wind to dry thing out.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert
    Harmony Consolidated
    Volunteer Fire Department

Thread Information