Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Zook@MERT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Looking for a good fireline pack

Any advice on what pack I should get. So far I think I like the top load pack from the Pack Shack. It is a web gear pack with a top loading atachment with about 2000 cubic inch capacity.

Has anyone used this pack? and what have you thought?

------------------
    ---MERT---
    Midwest Emergency Responce Team

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

First of all, what kind of work are you going to be doing this summer (and summers to come)? Are you riding an engine? Are you planning on being a ground pounder? It all depends. I do a little of everything. I personally like the yellow FSS web gear. I sit on an engine most of the time. You can take the back pack off, have your shelter, canteens, grub bag right there and when you bump out fast you can just jump in the truck still and have the pack on. With larger, all-in-one packs you carry everything. Don't matter if you are spraying water 30' out or pounding ground. With the web gear you can add-to and take away from very easy. And when it wears out you can trade it in for a new one from the Supply Unit on an incident.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Jmorgan
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use the Eagle Pack from Eagle Gear www.eaglegear.com
    I like it. I have the detachable pack. If you have varying jobs like Mark440 then you might like this pack. You can get an engine pack for it that is smaller. Look at the webpage and if you have any questions just ask.

I haven't used the FSS gear before so I can't compare it.

OneLick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to panel load Pack Shack pack. If I had it to do all over again, I would investigate all the brand names. Nimrod, Thielson, eagle,etc. and decide which one is best for you.

WVFD EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use the Eagle Pack, it's great for long hikes or long hours cutting line check out their web site at www.eaglegear.com. I have also heard good things about the new Thielsen packs from some guys on our crew, i think the Supply Cache carries them, their web sight is www.firecache.com.

Dutils791
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I can't reccomend ONE specific pack, but I'll give some hints. It's really whatever your preferences are.
    I used the FSS web pack on one 14-day assignment in FL and a couple weeks "in-park". It works/rides acceptably, but only after you get it totally dialed in, and often this changes every day. Another thing, any pack that covers your back like that is damn hot. Low-riding "jumper" style packs like the Eagle pack are more conducive to ventilation. Also, packs that sit high on your back tend to throw their weight around when you're working, making your life miserable.
    I'll put in a plug for the "jumper" style packs. They sit low on your hips, putting the weight where it should be. They ride nice and the weight won't shift when you're working. As I said before they're a lot cooler. After my brief time with a FSS web pack I switched to a "jumper" style Eagle pack. I spent time with this in FL, MT, and ID with good results.
    I've just purchased a "Cougar" pack for the supply cache. It's a "jumper" style pack similar to the Eagle Pack. I haven't used it on a fire yet, but I've hiked with significant weight in it. I must say I'm very impressed. It has a very nice ergonomic design to it. It is put out by Ranger Pro Field Equipment (http://www.rangerpro.com/).

sfirelake
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Have used the Ranger pack for 6 years. It is the original one I purchased. I use it for Wildland and hiking during the off season. It fits well and feels good. I do not like a pack that fits against your back. You tend to sweat to much. FireCache has the pack available along with accessories

------------------

cbp3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Zook, after 15 yr. of line assignments, I'd have to agree with most of the above, a jumper-style pack can be more comfortable, if you're willing to spend the money. One important thing to look for though, is the ability to separate the bag from the web-gear. This allows you to work mop-up or pump ops while wearing your shelter, but not the extra weight of all the other stuff you carry. It's fairly common to have assignments that have you working in one area for an extended period, allowing you to set some of your weight down. Just be sure to have that shelter with you at all times.
    Stay safe.

Thread Information