Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    countycrew
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation WILDLAND TACTICS

I see that many question in this forum relate to tactics and fire behavior. So I figured that maybe an open forum on tactics to give advice in the area. Wildland Firefighting may be the most dangerous form of firefighting, so lets make a collective of information in this area, so that on the next fire we will all be a little smarter and ultimately safer.

countycrew
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess i will start with the basic.
    10 STANDARD FIRE ORDERS

F*ight fire aggressively but provide for safety first.

I*nitiate all action based on current and expected fire behavior.

R*ecognize current weather conditions and obtain forecasts.

E*nsure that instructions are given and understood.

O*btain current information on fire status.

R*emain in communication with crewmembers, your supervisor, and adjoining forces.

D*etermine safety zones and escape routes.

E*stablish lookouts in potentially hazardous situations.

R*etain control at all times.

S*tay alert, keep calm, think clearly, and act decisively.

Here is something that unless you have been around for a while I doubt you have been told about. LECS

L*ookouts- make sure you know what and where (anything else) the fire is doing by having someone scout the area.

E*scape routes- make sure that you have AT ALL TIMES 2 escape routes, and make sure that those escape routes are still good, because a fire will change its game plan!

C*ommunications- make sure that there are enough radios that your firefighters know what is going on. (working in teams help if you have a small supply of radios and lots of firefighters)

S*afe areas- this is an area that will not burn again or won't burn at all, it is a place to go if the fire turns bad. Safe areas should be pretty big.

STAY SAFE

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Important thing to remember: A Safe Zone is an area that is safe without deploying a fire shelter.

KGM

Thread Information