KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Full Brim Wildland Helmets

Does anyone know why the full brim wildland helmets do not meet the new NFPA standard? When our Dept. purchased ours 1.5 years ago, they did meet the 1993 edition.

They are not that much heavier and they provide great protection from the sun (when you have your shroud tucked up during mop up)and flying embers (with shroud down)! I have worn both and still prefer the full brim.

-KGM

Logs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What manufacturer of the helmet are you referring to? I know that there are full brim helmets that meet the NFPA standard.

countycrew
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

If it is a Bullard Wildland helmet you have, it is because it doesn't meet the weight standard. I called Bullard, and the full brim helmet weights under 1 ounce what the new NFPA standard requires for wildland helmets. However that helmet meets all other requirements for a wildland helmet.

PRETTY PETTY HUH?

Not sure how your department, state, or insurance works but in some places as long as it is issued, then your covered under insurance and allowed to use it. You may want to investigate that yourself because not all places work the same.

Hope that helps to clear some of the mess up.

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is the Bullard FH911H.

I did find the bullard web site and they have a statement about the new standard.

In 1998 NFPA put in a provision that a wildland helmet should weigh no more than 20 ounces to keep firefighters from wearing heavy structural helmets. The FH911H weighs 21 oz. Any helmets purchased before the new edition in good working condition can be used but once retired, they should be replaced with new NFPA compliant helmets.
    Oh well! I guess I had better take care of my old helmet!

"Look up, look down, look all around, the killer trees are out there!"

-KGM

Logs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Geez, I spoke too soon. The 1998 edition edition of NFPA 1977, Sect. 4-2.4 reads as follows; "The helemt complete with energy-absorbing system, suspension system with sweatband, chin strap, nape device, goggle clips, and retroreflective markings shall not weigh more than 570 g (20 oz.)"
    I agree with the "intent" to restrict the weight to discourage use of structural fire helmets, but let's get real about how we apply this standard. I've seen lots of protective clothing and equipment not meeting every section of this standard being used at fires. The intent and development of this standard was at the request from the wildland fire service to develop a standard for protective clothing and equipment for use during wildland firefighting operations.
    Anybody, whether a member of NFPA or not can submit recommendations for changes to this standard. Contact the NFPA for information of submitting change recommendations or interpretations of this standard.

BOTTOM LINE: BE SAFE ANND PROTECT YOURSELF.

sfirelake
    Firehouse.com Guest

We were told that he only reason it is overweight is due to the beefy chin strap it comes with. We are currently looking for another style that will fit the Bullard

MtnFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Previous post were correct. The Bullard full brim wildland firefighters helmet was found to be 1 ounce out of compliance due to the heavy duty chin strap (which was also added in the NFPA 1977-1998 revision), and that is all.
    Unfortunately, adding a lighter chin strap will not change the fact that it is not NFPA comlpiant (which includes labels) so don't waste money doing that, the new chin strap is better anyway.
    Also correct is the post that anyone can make comments on any NFPA standard, and in fact we wish you would. Many standards get passed with rather ridiculous requirements (such as the weight knocking out that particular helmet, or the current problem of no wildland stuff because of useless ISO requirements) because no one from outside the tight NFPA circles made any comments.
    Contact NFPA (617-770-3000)and ask how to make comments on standards.

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Are there any other makers of full brim wildfire helmets?

I ask this because I had a Bullard structural helmet that was junk. It did not fit good at all, and because of that I am leary of any other Bullard helmets. Perhaps I am wrong, but that is my opinion.

Thanks
    Jolly Roger

Thread Information