Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snacks

GTFDLt61
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Snacks

Out of curiosity, what would you recommend putting on a brush truck as a snack while in the woods? We carry bottled water, and recently spent about 7 hours in the woods and got mighty hungry. We usually don't spend that long out there. What would be a good snack-type food to keep on the brush trucks? I was thinking granola bars, any other input? I'm thinking about 'survivability' for the food too.

------------------

Ray R
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We carry MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) as a last resort. They can be found at Surplus stores and in outdoor catalogs.

Most of our personnel carry food in their wildland packs. Canned, ready to eat food is popular in individual serving sizes. Some of our neighboring departments are trying a "TV dinner" type meal that requires no refrigeration. Each meal comes with its own chemical heater that requires water to activate the heater. It should be available in your local supermarket. Cost is anywhere from $4.00 to $ 8.00 depending upon the meal.

Logs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Take a look at the "Coyote Camp Fireline Chow" assortment of products. The Supply Cache sells them and their website is: www.firecache.com or call them at their toll free # - (800) 839-0821.

Nate Marshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

The coyote camp food is good. MRE's is also good. For just regualr snacks carry some trail mix, fruit (sometimes this is hard but if you have red cross or salvation army they usually have plenty of fruit)

Drink plenty of water and in addition to snacks, food and water carry one small bottle of gatorade, just for the enzymes it has and nutrients. Mix a little with water.

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good old Power bars have saved me many times. I hate the taste of them but they do work in an emergency. and they fit in your fireline pack. Just drink a lot of water with them.

For an actual meal to keep on the engine, Coyote camp fire line chow are good. You can make up your own with single serving dinty moore stuff. MRE's work but some are pretty awful! (MRE=Meals Refusing to Exit!)

When you really hit the wall and all you have is your pack, try the Carbohydrate gels like Power gel or Gu. They saved me during the Cerro Grande here in Los Alamos. Definitely didn't have time for anything resembling a meal for quite a while. Again, remember to drink a lot of water with them.

GTFDLt61
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Thanks everybody. I'm looking more towards 'quick snack' kinda stuff more than MRE's. We usually don't get stuck in the woods through meals, and the seven hours the other day was a rarity. Just looking for something that might be a good suggestion for a 'pick-me-up'. Thanks for your help.

Russ...

------------------

FiremanJack
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by GTFDLt61:
    Out of curiosity, what would you recommend putting on a brush truck as a snack while in the woods? We carry bottled water, and recently spent about 7 hours in the woods and got mighty hungry. We usually don't spend that long out there. What would be a good snack-type food to keep on the brush trucks? I was thinking granola bars, any other input? I'm thinking about 'survivability' for the food too.

Hmmmm....
    We don't usually have to spend too much time at brushfires in Central MA either, but that's a timely question with our dry spring.
    I'd suggest peanut butter crackers. Buy plenty, because we know it'll take several packages apiece to help a "hardly hungry" firefighter, never mind a really hungry one.
    Think about storing them in a container like a military surplus ammo box... unless you like to eat crumbs! Good luck.

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We carry an assortment of Power Bars and MRE's on our grass equipment. The power bars are nice for the short term and the MRE's are great for the over nighters like strike teams and such. Both store very well and have a high "survivability" rate...

------------------
    Fight Fire Agressivly but Provide for Safety First!

Be Safe!

LT334
    Firehouse.com Guest

monte
    Firehouse.com Guest

KGM has the right idea. At least it's consistent with recent research dealing with firefighter metabolism and nutrition. There was some great information made available to us during the Wildland Firefighter Health and safety Conference held in 1999. In a nut shell, you want simple carbohydates during the day. It's important to note the diffence between simple and complex carbos. Simple carbos turn in blood glucose immediately, which is introduced into muscle cells and made available for quick energy, pick-me-ups. Complex carbos convert to fat and has to go through another process for energy production. Use simple sugars to boost energy during high stress, and also use it after the shift before eating your regular meal. This helps rehab. your muscles. It will replace depleted nutriants that should be providing muscles energy to recover from the work. If not, more lactate acid, and muscle cramps. The next morning you are cramped, and muscle weary. So simple sugars during the work period, hydration, and at the end of the shift to rehab. worked muscles. Simple sugars: candy bars, power bars, anything with maltodextrin (excluding beer, gatorade, powerade. Hydration, drink your body weight in converted ounces; if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 200 ounces during the day, or another handy axiom is 1 quart per hour. If gatorade and poerade flavors are too sweet, cut in 1/2 with water.

MTUnimog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings All,
    Wildlands fire fighting is a high endurance activity. With this in mind I looked into what endurance athletes are using these days and it's not Gatorade, etc. Take a look at www.e-caps.com and www.hammernutrition.com if you expect to be on the go for long periods. I spoke with the owner of E-caps and he has expressed interest in developing some products for our market...
    Stay Safe,
    MTUnimog

Thread Information