Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Captain Hickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Actual Wildland training?

Just wondering, how many of us actually receive Wildland or Urban Interface Training?

If your department does offer it: which type (all Wildland, Interface, or mix of both), how much time is spent on training (in hours), and which or who's program is the information based on (local, state, or federal)?

As always be Safe!
    Hickman

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

We try to send those who are red carded as engine bosses to the S-205 course. We are also using the new NFA course "Wildland/Urban Interface for the Structural Company Officer"

During the summer of 2000 some of the issues that came up (due to lack of resources) is we have structural firefighters coming to provide structure protection, but did not really understand what that entailed.

paulp
    Firehouse.com Guest

CFA in Victoria Australia after a loss of a crew in 1997 (see Linton ) have a mandatory wildfire competency component for all perms and vols. A 2 volume Training manual has been compiled and distributed. MFB (our city cousins) are also undergoing competency training in this area as well. See the CFA site for more information.
    Manuals are from the Training and Development Department CFA Headquarters http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/

Legal Mumbo jumbo - These views are my own and not those of my brigade or CFA.

[This message has been edited by paulp (edited 06-05-2001).]

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Wombat ]

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Federal for our volunteer dept. S130-190 and s205 Minimum + various drills throughout the year. Red Carded every year.

Paid dept.= department training with annual refreshers, somewhat the same curriculum as the S-130 190 and 205.
    Oh yeah, the Cerro Grande Fire taught us a lot more than any classroom!

These views are my own and not those of either of my departments.

Logs
    Firehouse.com Guest

I receive my training from a number of sources. The most recent was at the Colorado Wildfire Academy which just ended on Sunday (6/11). The academy was attended by approximatly 1200 students from over 37 states, Mexico and Canada. It is definitely one of the premiere training academies available. The academy is run as an incident. Courses cost $40.00 per day which includes the course, breakfast and lunch per day. Trainee postions were also available at $25.00 per day. A great opportunity to work on the task books. Another training opportunity I've attended and work at is the New York Wildfire & Incident Managament Academy. This one is held in October. There are a number of classes offered at this academy as well. There are several various academies across the country held annually. If you want to fight wildfire, you need to know how to do it correctly and safely. Make sure the training you received is in accordance with NWCG standards. This only makes sense and the courses are standardized.

FSavinon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since I've been in the fire service, I've attended the Monterey County Wildland Fire School, annually heald at Ft. Hunter Liggett. This "school" is run like an incident and caters to all levels from exlorer to experienced engine companies. During the three days of the school, approximately 1000 acers are burned for training. Yes, live fire training!!! The school is divided into 7 branches. Branch 1 is mainly flat for Type I apparatus, branches 2-6 have more hills and contain Type III and Type IV apparatus. Branch 7 is the explorer branch. Each branch has it's Branch Director and set of instructors. It's a great school, look up at www.mcftoa.org for additional info.

My department also has required training that is done on a quarterly basis. We cover types of attacks, shelter deployment methods, wildland safety, etc. It's done during the second quarter of the year to prepare us for wildland season.

Local JC also offer wildland fire classes that can further training.

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

In British Columbia all FD's with a Wildland Urban Interface situation is required to take the BCFS s-100 course. My FD is lucky as one of our members is a retired BCFS "A" Boss so we get lots of training from him. On any Interface fire he is either the IC or stands really close to the IC.

countycrew
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think for Structural Firefighters S-130/S-190 classes are sufficient and the urban interface is nice to have (can't recall what its "S" numbering is). Because a lot of stuff crosses over, such as ICS and pump classes and chain saw operations, most structural firefighters already know that material and there is no need to have them take another class.

FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS: does the NWFCG allow for any type of reciprocity, such as structural chain saw operations (in the ventilation class) to cross over for the NWFCG "S" class of chain saw operations?

PS- I know that there are some differences but all N' all proper chain saw use is proper chain saw use.

Ok, to answer the last question asked the NWCG course for chain saw operations is S-212 Wildfire Power Saws. As far as I know there is no reciprocity with structural due to the different techniques. I took the class last year at the Wildland Incident Management Academy last year in New York. As to other training I believe that all structural firefighters should attend s-130/190 as well as S-215 (old s-205) Due to the fact that we are seeing more and more people moving out of the city and into the highly rural areas in our state. I also believe that people on Building code comitees should take the urban interface class. It truly amases me how many fire or EMS calls we go to in some of the towns my service covers and see trees under 4 feet away from the house. If these houses had a good brush or woods fire headed their way they would be a total loss due to no defensable space. Unfortunately like most of us that are involved in Wildland firefighting in the north east most of the people that I work with think that the skills we learn for this are worthless and get sumarily dismissed when we bring stuff like this up.
    The only other thing I have to say on training is to take it wherever you can get it. This past year I traveled to the academy in New York and to classes being held in West Virginia and in Pensylvania. Remember you have to be willing to do this in order to get all the classes that you want, as I have learned the classes don't come to you so you must go to the classes.
    Stay safe and see ya on the fireline.

Thread Information