GregPaula
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Diabetic Firefighters

I am with a career fire dept. and an insulin dependent diabetic. As the Secretary of the International Registry of Firefighters with Diabetes, I am compiling a list of other diabetic firefighters in the US. Please contact me if you are a paid firefighter with diabetes. Please send information such as your name, organization, position, line or overhead, type I or II, were you diagnosed prior to or after hire, years on job and years with diabetes. Thanks Turnnbrn@earthlink.net

Default Diabetes and firefighting

Hello my name is Suzanne Sublaban and I live in Stockton California. I am a type one, insulin dependent diabetic and have been for thirteen years. I am 18 years old and have been interested in a career as a firefighter for several years now. Stockton has an auxiliary academy for people who are striving for a career in firefighting. I heard about this from the actual recruit officer himself and became very interested in it. The day I met him I told him that I was diabetic and he said that would not be a problem. Months go by and I was selected to take the tests to make it into the academy. After I had passed the written and physical agility tests, I went to an oral interview, where I, once again, mentioned the diabetes, and I got the same response that it would not be a probelm. After that, I was informed that I had made it into the academy. I had recently purchased my uniform and books that costed over $400. All of the sudden I recived a phone call saying that I am disqualified from the academy because I am insulin dependent. The reason I am writing is because I found this news to be unfair and wanted to get an opinion on the situation, also I wondered if there is anything I can do to fight this, because I know that I can be a firefighter and I know that I can be a great one, regardless of my disability. Diabetes has never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do, so this is a huge surprise to me. All of my life I have been told that I can do anything that I want to and now certain people are telling me that I can't and I will not accept it. Please write me back with some feedback, and let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Default Daibetic Firefighters

Suzanne,

Look at NFPA 1582, it is very specific about the standards that apply to being a firefighter with Diabetes.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diabetic firefighters

Hello to all.

I have been diabetic for 25 yerars. I have been a vol firefighter for the last 8 yaears. I have been trying to get a job with any and all depts in the KC area. through a lot of research and school work I have found that in order to work for a department you have must have an A1c of less than 8.0. and be able to show that you have good control. I have also talked to my Dr. and he has said that He would be more than happy to talk to any med. control person and recomend that I have been in good control and he sees no reason why my diabetes would not let me do the job profeciently. if any body is looking to chat of share some advice please feel free to let me know!!

Brendon
    firefighterbrendon@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Default diabetic firefighter

My name Dale Corbin I am a driver/paramedic for Town of Palm Beach Fire Rescue for 16 years. We are a paid fire and rescue department with approx. 80 line firefighters. I have been a type I diabetic for approx. 10 years. I am currently on a insulin pump, that works great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skinnysue88 View Post
    Hello my name is Suzanne Sublaban ............ Please write me back with some feedback, and let me know if there is anything that I can do.
    Look at who made that call, Ask them Why, And then Have them show you where that is a requirement. I have worked with some Stud-Duck Insulin Injectors in my time in. I would imagine that would open a big can of worms if they refused you because of your condition.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy NFPA 1582 and diabetes

according to NFPA 1582 a Category A condition is an automatic "not medically qualified" see below:

6.18 Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders.
    6.18.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:
    (1) Diabetes mellitus, which is treated with insulin

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diabetic Firefighter

I am on a paid fire department and have been for 4 years. I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 9 years. NFPA does not automaticlly disqualify you if you are insulin dependent. There are requirements you must meet that are above and beyond a non-diabetic, but you can still be a firefighter.

Forum Member

Just FYI....

There is a new page on Facebook for Diabetic Firefighters. Check it out! It is a work in progress, but hope to have a lot of information and help for fellow firefighters.

https://www.facebook.com/DiabeticFirefighters

Thread Information