MembersZone Subscriber

Default hOW wILDLAND FIRES EFFECT WEATHER CONDITIONS

i 've been a structural ff for almost 27 years and have never actually fought anything more than a small brush fire.Every brush season i sit and watch you wildland ff's and i'm in awe of your bravery and dedication.But i do have a question concerning the effects of large fires on weather conditions.My question is this,Iknow your ff's pray for rain at all fires but does a trmendous wildland fire with all the heat and smoke rising into the atmosphere have a direct correlation to the amount of precipitation or the lack of the amounts that will fall on the fire.Does smoke and heat keep the rain away. thanks for the info,and be safe out there,mike m

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, a large enough wildland fire can create its own weather pattern. We don't really see it here in my part of Oklahoma, but in the Wildland Fire Class we take, they mention large wildfires creating thunderheads which cause lightening, which can start addional fires.

Can someone from the west back me up on this?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Large fires are a product of large weather systems that have affected a region over a period of time. The fire itself, large or small, does little to large scale weather patterns. Large fires are affected by the large scale weather patterns e.g. dry or moist cold fronts from the Gulf of Alaska, or high based monsoonal moisture from the sw pacific that overrides the hot dry air from the Great Basin. Large fires do affect local weather patterns. And yes, large intense fires with lots of fuel available that pushes a column 20,000+ feet up, will develop a cumulus cap that has been known to create some lightning and minimal moisture. Mostly large fires are affected by larger scale weather patterns, and they do influence local short term weather.

Thread Information