Default Manpower shortages

While the wesstern states are running out of resources, managers in areas with little fire activities are hoarding needed personnel. Hundreds and hundreds of Red Carded personnel are being with-held for local and state political reasons. Oklahoma is one.

kiamichi...it is true that this complaint is aired every year, however in general most units must look out for their own needs before filling others. We all enjoy the opportunity to become involved in assisting other agencies, but life would be rough if we were all in Wa. when it begins to break out on our home units. From what I hear, Ok. is experiencing high to extreme fire danger, and it won't take much to give you plenty to do. I was down in the area of Broken Bow a couple of years ago, and believe me, there was no problem with those fires burning!

In general, you'll be made available when fire danger is low on your units, and be held when it's high. After all, you can respond a lot faster to your fire than we can. Hang in there, we'll all get our chance.

Be safe

I agree. We go throught this every year. Managers are required and expected to provide a management program for their assigned respective areas. As we would all like to go every time the fires hit the news, another one (or dozen) is right around the corner. A few months ago people were asking the same thing about Florida. We'll all get out shot, but managers need to ensure their own backyards are covered and protected before going off to other areas in the country.

Thread Information