Default Protective gel coatings for exposures?

I need some help. I have been told that there is a coating that can be applied to a building, which prevents it from burning. I remember it was made from the same stuff they use in diapers. Does anybody know what this stuff is called and relate any experiences that you have had with it.

Thanks for your input.

Eric

The one that I have the web site for is called BARRICADE gel. I think there is some other but not sure what they are called.

Any way here is the web sitehttp://www.barricadegel.com/

Hope the info helps
    D308

I,ve seen Barricade used in Florida with mixed results and effects during wildland fires. It has the consistency of a hand lotion, and is mixed in the tank of your truck. Getting the correct proportions is a problem and it was reported to me by several people tht it "gummed up" their hoses and tips and created problems refilling their tanks. I have personally used foam for over 25 years and if you get a nice foam barrier, it is just as effective, plus it doesn't mess up your equipment. One mans opinion.

blackb16
    Firehouse.com Guest

"I,ve seen Barricade used in Florida with mixed results and effects during wildland fires. It has the consistency of a hand lotion, and is mixed in the tank of your truck. Getting the correct proportions is a problem and it was reported to me by several people tht it "gummed up" their hoses and tips and created problems refilling their tanks. One mans opinion. "

What does norm abram say? Read the directions, understand the directions and follow the directions.

The above post violates all of the rules and is typical of the crap you'll read on these boards.

Mixed results or mixed up users? You never batch mix it in the tank. If you do, the water tank becomes a useless bunch of Jello. Where has a home or structure ever burned that was gelled? One man's opinion sounds like someone who has never used the stuff. Getting the correct proportion is as simple as setting the eductor at the nozzle and dialing in the percentage. How do you gell hose when you follow the directions? Maybe chrisredd ought to come clean now and admit, either he has never used Barricade, it is obvious, you've never read the directions and shouldn't have posted on the topic. Caused problems filling their tanks...hmmm...you were gelling your tanks for some reason??? Gosh you guys must be fun to watch. Reported to you...so did you or didn't you see this? Are these reporters any brighter or better versed on the instructions for you use than you, LOL???? Do you aim your gun looking down the barrel too? Sounds like another example of the dummying down of the fire service. So I guess will all wait to tell us why you missed used a product then came on FH and slammed them for your stupidity.

The stuff does exactly what the manufacturer says it does, works as the instuctions state.

"I have personally used foam for over 25 years and if you get a nice foam barrier, it is just as effective""

Oh, what make of foam will last 24 hours, will cover a vertical surface in high wind for more than 10 minutes with no erunoff at all? So you dump polar AFFF in the tank too? Which make can you do that with LOL?

Fireguy1010, this is what I know about barricade gel. It was invented by Firefighters in florida,It is derived from the same substance that they use to make diapers with. It's claims from what I have heard are true. I have never used the stuff but if we had any forest in the area we would sure have it. It says in the instructions and in the articles I have read on it DO NOT MIX IN THE TANK use it with a eductor and flush the eductor for 5 or so minutes wtih plain water after use. anyway look in to the stuff I think it will be a good investment.

Hope the info helps D308

I'm glad that blackb16 read what was said in my post..duh.. I said I HAVE seen it used and was working some of the fires with it last summer in Florida, so please tell me where YOU have used it? Guess what, it was mixed in the tanks because the eductors wouldn't pick it up!
    I have also TRIED to use it as recently as May of this year in a pro-pack, it worked one day and not the next. We followed the instructions explicitly! So now I've come clean, how about you? This posting was not meant to be anything other than answering a brothers question..with honesty! I have seen it demonstrated at numerous trade shows in it's formula straight from the jar that it came from, I even have a jar sitting in front of me right now, so you want to tell me again that I've never used it? Try again! And by the way, I've used foam on numerous fires, and it WAS effective and still around after 24 hours. I have also had several conversations with the inventors and I believe that they may be onto something! By the way, I would be happy to show you foam applied by CAFS that stands up to high winds! Get current before you start slamming and start calling people stupid! Now THAT violates protocol, but you probably don't know what that word means, by the way I've been doing this for over 30 years, how about you?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: chrisredd ]

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: chrisredd ]

blackb16
    Firehouse.com Guest

I said I HAVE seen it used

So did it keep the houses from burning down or didn't it? Did you see it used right?

and was working some of the fires with it last summer in Florida,

You carry it? Did you follow the instructions?

so please tell me where YOU have used it?

The last 2 years I've used it in 13 states, all the power companies in those states do too. None can document a lost pole or structure.

Guess what, it was mixed in the tanks

Are you as dumb as you sound? When mixed with water it gels. DUH!!!!! let me guess oncce you did that the rigs had trouble pumping. It you are so experienced tell me how to quickly clean the stuff out of a hose, pump or tank.

because the eductors wouldn't pick it up!

of course you know there are 37 ways to keep as foam eductor from working...DO YOU THINK IT TOO WAS OPERATOR ERROR LIKE DUMPING THE STUFF IN THE TANK???

I have also TRIED to use it as recently as May of this year

you've missed the entire wildland season,

in a pro-pack, it worked one day and not the next. We followed the instructions explicitly!

No you didn't. You left it in a container after having put water through it, shame on you! No magic here, just a gel agent and water that gel. DUH!

So now I've come clean,

You sound like a child we didn't do anything wrong, it magically didn't work.

other than answering a brothers question..with honesty!

I've got s home defense kit, een dozens in use, carry 75 galons per rig for at least 5 years, know the inventor John Bartlett on a first name basis.

I have seen it demonstrated at numerous trade shows in it's formula straight from the jar that it came from

That makes you an expert? Stick a tongue dpressor in a jar, stick your finger in the jar and hold a torch to it? I'll rely on real use at fires.

, I even have a jar sitting in front of me right now,

i've got several 5 gallon jugs in the garage and the home defense kit that always works, or and the pro pack works too. DO you suppose operator error is the difference?

so you want to tell me again that I've never used it?

YEAH! YOU'VE NEVER USED IT RIGHT AND GAVE TOO MANY EXAMPLES OF IMPORPER USE TO PROVE IT EARLIER.

And by the way, I've used foam on numerous fires,

that is nice, we carry hundreds of gallons on every rig. And use pallets each year.

and it WAS effective and still around after 24 hours.

you sir are full of beans. which foam will last 24 hours name, brand, nozzle used. Even US foresty, RTFC and BLM the worlds largest users wouldn't say anything that stupid.

I have also had several conversations with the inventors

Wrong, inventor, John Barlett, one inventor.

and I believe that they may be onto something!

the 6th yer on the market and you think they are on to something? After saying it doesn't work???? Or is it the user can't read and follow instructions?

By the way, I would be happy to show you foam applied by CAFS that stands up to high winds!

Ok, we've been running a 100% CAF fleet for 7 years, never fought a fire in 7 years without it, there are 400 other units in the area all CAF or Snow job units that date back to the late 70's and early 80's so tell me about high winds and CAFS in structure protection. And be sure to compare it to gel. At 20 minutes on a southern exposure on a 100 degree day at 7% humidity the CAf will be dry...the gel will still be there a day later. I'm sure a guy from Missouri wouldn't have a clue.

Get current before you start slamming and start calling people stupid!

Stupid is what stupid does, batch mixes gel, can't figure out how to use an eductor. Our equipment always works because we read, understand and follow the directions.

Now THAT violates protocol,

that is ok, you violate the rules on barricade use too.

by the way I've been doing this for over 30 years, how about you?

26 but I try to do it right.

NOW, let's get to your excuses, you told the guy to batch mix the Barricade. The literature clearly says not to. Are you trying to set the guy up for failure? Have you ever seen a home defense kit fail?

Have you ever used a proportioner not recommended by the manufacturer? Feel brave enough to list what make and model you used? In VA Beach the pro pack worked fine by the way.

So tell me what percentage is Barricade educted?

25 years of foan use and you dump a 4000 cntistroke liquid into the tank??????? LOL you must be a lot of fun to watch at a fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

blackb16

Thanks for your expert info regarding Barricade. You delivery sucks though. We are all here to discuss and learn. So chill out a bit. And we are all curious what part of the world you are from, that has 400 CAFS units in service
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Thanks for the input about Barricade Gel. I went to their website and found a lot of good information. Obviously it must be mixed at the nozzle with an eductor.

What I would like to know is if someone has actually saved a home with this stuff. Sure sounds great if you could gel a house hours before a fire arrived and not have to risk firefighters or equipment to save someones home.

Thanks.

Eric

fireguy1010, As I have been trying to say, I've seen it used but couldn't tell you if it actually saved anything because the fire never encroached on the structures because it was beaten back by hand lines and water drops. The May usage I was refering to was a government test of something else and we used the barricade to prevent burning of materials surrounding the area. They didn't burn, but I couldn't tell you if it was from the barricade or if there wasn't enough radiant heat. As I said before, I think from their marketing material and demonstrations it appears very effective and should do the trick, but sometimes we don't know if it's a new techique or material or just old fashioned hard work that defeats the fire. From what the barricade people have told me in the past, they will be happy to arrange a demonstration for you. And you're correct that it should be used as an educted concentrate, what I have been relating is my own experiences and the experiences of others. We believed we followed the instructions to the letter, but gosh, maybe in the heat of battle, things weren't perfect:-) I would also suggest that you ask for the testimonials from the barricade people and then contact the departments that sent the letters. I know that this post generated some controversy, but hey, that's what free speech and opinions are all about! I'm sure that some of us are perfect, but I know that some of us are also imperfect. I believe that we all learn something new almost every day if we have an open mind and try and learn, we will benefit the entire fire service. Your question is an excellent example of someone trying to learn even more about the fire world! If you end up using it, please share your experiences with the rest of us so we can be better educated.

Okay. Enough of this bantering back and forth about Barricade Fire Blocking Gel. The gel does work if used correctly. I have seen it work. The gel was the idea of a Fire Lieutenant who was working at a dumpster fire and noticed that used baby diapers inside of this flaming dumpster were not burning. He discovered that the absorbent materials inside of the diapers did not burn.He asked the diaper manufacturer about this and then this Lieutenant began his Barricade Fire Blocking Gel Company. This company is doing well and the gel is just one more tool in the firefighter's tool box to use against fire. The gel, if used properly, can and does what the company says it can do. the gel is a good heat sink and protects structures and vegetation from the effects of fire. DO NOT MIX THIS PRODUCT IN APPARATUS BOOSTER TANKS! Use it according to the manufacturer's directions and there should be no problems. Look up the company at its web site and go from there. Good luck and be safe.
    DFCWINSRET

Forum Member

Hey Guys! Neat discussion. I want to comment about the gel, when I was working for the Texas Forest Service back in the 70's and 80's I used a gelling agent in my CAFS (snowjob)(wes)(weps) Foamed gel is pretty interesting. We mixed it in our tank.
    We used eductors too, we even tried pressure injectors, they all worked, but some methods were beter than others to say the least.
    The biggest problem I had except the mixing problem was it's VERY slick. Be carefull.

CAFS foamed gel has the best of both, it's durability is incredible, and it still got stuff wet too. We found by testing and by actuall applications of gell by its self, it would hold the water which let the class A materials under it stay dry. So unless we got 100% coverage the fuels would burn right out from under the stuff. With the wetting agents in the gel at least some of the water got into the fuels. (high fuel moisture works well for prevention.) The dawn soap helped with the mixing problems too. Water pumps had no problem pumping the stuff. (as long as no air got into the pumps).
    Mark Cummins

Thread Information