Question Contract Wildland Crew

Hello all, I was wondering whats involved in creating a contract wildland fire crew? Are you involved in one, etc.

Thanks,
    nmsardog@yahoo.com
    Todd
    Paid On Call FF

Depending on the type of crew. For example, my department contracts out an engine crew each year. First, we had to make sure that the engine met the specs to meet the USFS and NWCG engine typing system. (ie. Type 5 engine). Then we had to get all those who were to go out on assignment with it engine qualified. At least one person had to be at the level of engine boss. After we got our ducks in a row, we went to the our US Forest Service regional dispatch center and asked to be put on the list as an available resource. Now, your best bet would be to contact your local state or forest service office and find out what they would want you to do. Price of contract is the part I was not involved in, so you would have to research that aspect.
    If you are putting together a hand crew, you need to get everyone through at least the S130/190 class. Someone on the crew needs to be Crew Boss qualified. Once again, your local forest ranger would be a good resource.

Talking

Thanks for your reply. Please contact me at nmsardog@yahoo.com or give me your email addy.
    Todd
    Paid On Call FF

Forum Member

Hello Todd,
    where are you looking to start a crew?

I have seen more states use the type II hand crews for more mop up opps. So the type I crews are open for IA.

One of the things to also look at is to get your crew good enough to have a type I status.
    One of the things I see with type II hand crews is they are out of shape, and most of the guys have never really worked with eachother.

If you do get a crew for this next fire season, make sure to run your guys hard and do as much training as possible. This will do a few things for you and your crew. More hotshot crews will want to work with you then others. There are a few that are out there that I really dont like working around. But those guys are from Oregon.

If you have the money to keep your guys around I would try to get like 30 guys have 9 of them "on call" and for the others try to keep them busy cutting fire breaks and doing fuel jobs as much as possible.

Hope the info helps.

Forum Member

Here is a little training most hotshot crew members get their first year. It would be good to have most of your guys almost the same to have a good crew.

Annual Critical 24 hr. Training: (Crew Orientation, Survival Triangle, L.C.E.S., Standards for Survival, Common Denominators, Fatality Review, Fireline Handbook, IA Procedures, Look-up-Look-down-Look Around, Fire Shelter Training, Line Construction, Communications, Human Factors on the Fireline, Lessons Learned, S-330 Unit V, Lesson C & D, S-190 )

S-212 Power Saws
    S-234 Firing Operations
    Fire Fatality Scenarios
    S-290 Fire Behavior
    S-211 Pumps
    Downhill Line Construction
    Fireline Wellness
    S-205 Fire Operation in the Urban Interface
    S-217 Helicopter Training
    S-131 Advanced Fire Fighter Training

1.5 mile run in 9 minutes or less
    40 sit-ups in 60 seconds
    25 push-ups in 60 seconds
    6 chin-ups
    3 mile hike with 45 lbs. in 45 minutes or less

For a type one crew 80% of the crew has to have at least one season, and a certain number have to be year round employees. A contract crew would more than likely be a type II crew.

Forum Member

Elk is right, but I am sure sure some of the fed guys will join if they dont have to put up with some of the bs by the feds.
    Also you can keep a few of the guys busy with doing project work.

And Elk, Payson FD is a very good dept, I have been on alot of fires with you guys I like that old school fire truck you guys fixed up. Best brush engine I have ever seen.
    I use to work with the globe hotshot crew....

Thanks for the kind words. Went and got out the trusty fireline handbook and it states that a type 1 team must have full time leadership. I'm not sure if this has to be through a state or federal agency. As far as I can recall I have never seen a private IHC.....

Greetings,
    FYI you can't have a Type I contract crew. I don't know what to tell you about how to start a contract crew but you might want to look in at Furgesons of Oregon they have quite a number of contract hand type II crews. The way that they work from my understanding in talking to some of the crewmembers is they are on a "on call basis" as needed during the season. You could probably find a lot of useful information with your local Forest Service Ranger District Fire Management Officer(FMO) he/she is responsible for fire protection for that district. I worked on state goverenment handcrews and have a bit of interaction with them and i've had mixed feelings about how they work and the level of professionalism. They all have to have the basic "red card" you will probably need to have at least one person who is rated at the level of a Crew boss/Single Resource Boss, if not two. The amount of money that you will have to put up would be pretty high since PPE is not cheap. Figure for shelters $100 per person, Nomex shirts and pants $50-$100 for each, hard hats $30, headlamps $20. If they are going to work a forest service fire they have to have proof that they passed the WCT (pack test).
    But the best first step would be to talk to the FMO or regional office, maybe talk to someone at www.nifc.org
    a contract Engine might be an easier way to startout.

Forum Member

well what medford said is very true, BUT

I have heard from others that something that is being talked about is having contract crews be type one, I have heard of a crew in alaska that did it, but I am also checking into the story as well.

for ppe well get only a few things then on your first bigger fire hit the fire cache, because mostly likely your crew will not go to anything small.

and remember the key to having a good crew is training!

Default type I crew lists

Greetings,
    I did find something at

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fire_new/p...IHC_index.html

that you might find intersting. It is a list of all FS, BLM, BIA, NPS, and two state agencies, one in Utah (Div. of Forestry), and another in Alaska (DNR). Still looking to see for privates but have not had any luck as of yet.
    Have a good day,
    Matt

Default type I crew lists

Greetings,
    I did find something at that you might find intersting.

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fire_new/people/hotshots/
    http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fire_new/p...IHC_index.html

It is a list of all FS, BLM, BIA, NPS, and two state agencies, one in Utah (Div. of Forestry), and another in Alaska (DNR). Still looking to see for privates but have not had any luck as of yet.

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fire_new/p...HC_Ops_Gde.pdf
    This PDF document might solve all questions or at least give you a very good start on what your looking for. It spells out every thing that is needed to become a TYPE 1 Interagency Hotshot Crew (IHC).

Have a good day,
    Matt

Thread Information