Forum Member

Post Wildland Training Standards

Hey guys, I need a little help. My vol FD chief wants to have a guy that works for the feds as a wildland firefighter teach a basic wildland class to a bunch of uncertified(never had a firefighter class in thier lives) people and then let them respond to brush fires. They are not going to get a cert for this and the guy teaching them is not a certified instructor. He even said that these people should not respond to brush fire classes even after he teaches them. I am in Florida and I haven't found any Fl standards. I need help, the chief is going to put peoples lives in danger and he dosen't care. I need some kind of info before someone gets hurt. Thanks
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Exclamation

Just a word of caution! Try to gather all the facts first. I'm fairly certain that the chief of your dept. wouln't do anything to purposely place anyone of his personnel in a life threatening situation. While his intentions may be to simply educate his members. I would certainly question the credentials of the individual who will be teaching you. If he is not certified by the state to be an instructor than I certainly would be leary of what he has to say. Remember, it's your life and your safety you need to be concerned with first! Talk to your Chief see what he has to say. And last but not least let him know how you feel, express your concerns. Whatever the outcome of your dilema always remember look out for #1 first be safe,be smart and always ask a lot of questions!!

ANyone working on a wildland fire should be red carded, ie basic wildland firefigter cert and pack tested.....This is a requirement on federal fires.

Forum Member

From my understanding if you are on a federal fire you have to have your red card if you dont some trouble can happen. If the guy "teaching" the class has any brains at all he will only put the guys in danger, because he could miss something that he should have teached. He should turn down the offer to teach the class.

Check with the nearest Florida Division of Forestry office - there is a statewide program that will provide free wildland training to all vol FDs.Check out this site: http://flame.fl-dof.com/

Thread Information