MembersZone Subscriber

Question How can I start??

I am a volenteer firefighter in New York. this usmmer im looking to do some wildland firefighting out west. I'm just wondering if im too young (I'm 16) to do it. If anyone has any info on this matter, please let me know.

Forum Member

I would think that 16 might be a little young, however, Oregon had different ideas. It would be nice to be 18 again.

http://www.odf.state.or.us/jobs/Seasjb.htm

Check age requirements....

Hickman
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but, maybe we had better take a closer look at it."

Forum Member

well its always good to start young.
    But to be on a wildland fire with the forest service,blm,bia,or cdf you have to be at least 18 years of age. Its the standards to get your red card. But what you can do is take some wildfire classes and learn as much as you can about wildfire until then.

One route you can take is to work with a contract firefighting crew, it gets your feet wet to see if you really like it. They dont get the best jobs its mostly moping up but you can still learn lots. And if you like it work for the forest service on a hotshot crew or on a engine crew.

Remember as you do get into wildfire always get the best boots you can, I can say get Whites boots the smoke jumpers are what I have used for a number of years.

Good luck

I am woundering how i can get started in the wildfire program im a 27 year old looking to get started in this i have no fire exp. i need to know what kind of exp or training i need im wanting to get started a.s.a.p...

California Department of Forestry is always looking for seasonal firefighters. Rumor has it that 2002 fire season they are increasing staff.
    Info can be found on:

cdf.ca.gov

Good luck!

To get a job fighting wildland fires, you must be 18 yrs of age. That is pretty much the standard for all government agencies. There are currently alot of job openings through forest service and blm, bia, and national park service. My want to check out the forest service web site at www.fs.fed.us or the national web site at www.usajobs.opm.gov . This web site is really easy to use and has jobs on there for all agencies. If you will go into the Series search you can enter series # 0462 or #0455. Both numbers will bring up fire jobs. Good luck to anybody that gets a job. It is a tough job, but fun and exciting.

I, like SGR 1600 would like to go out west but and this may sound stupid I would like to work in one of the base camps I know that this is not as glamorous as fighting fire but we have enough fires around here and I have dug alot of fire lines and spent many nights propped up under a tree trying to get a few minutes sleep.From what I have seen many base camps are set up like a big warehouse.I would love to go out there and I realize that it is a lot of work with many long days and nights.Any suggestions on who to contact?I am currently a fire warden with the state of NY.Any info. would help .Thanks,Chris

Your best bet working in "base camp" is to get qualified for some of the base camp jobs. You could also contact your state forester or make contacts through some of the wildfire training academies held throughout the country. There are a number of base camp jobs that you can train and qualify for and then there are fires that hire locals to work in base camp.

the best thing to do is check the dearpartment of natural resources website, there they have all requirements and applications.

Base camp types are typically part of an incident management team. The rest are usually from the the local authority having jurisdictions office (ie paper pushers). Some of the medical personell are contracted through local agencies. Best bet find a job with BLM or FS out west and start getting training.

Thread Information