Administrator

Forwarded E-mail:

My family and I would like to send our condolences
    to each family that lost a loved one today in this tragedy. It is truly a sad
    day in Memphis. I wish we didn't have guns in this world but I know that will
    never be. There are reports that the rifle he used was a high powered rifle so
    he meant to shoot to kill.
    Once again all of the families will be in our prayers. May the families
    find peace somehow someway.

MTFirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Marked Tree Fire Department in Arkansas would like to send our condolences and prayers to the families and the brothers of the two firefighters and the deputy who passed away today. We love you guys. You are all on our minds and in our prayers.

shenry32
    Firehouse.com Guest

We would like to express our deepest sorrows to all of the Memphis Firefighters and Police Officers. Its a terrifing thought that we all must now deal with... so many ways to be hurt while in the service of helping others. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Scott Henry
    Kettering (OH) Volunteer Firefighter Association

Administrator

Forwarded E-mail:

as a nurse of a small town community, my dearsest friends are the
    fireman and policeman of our town. my heart and prayers go out to you
    the friends, co-workers and families of these men. This world is
    getting to be such a crazy place and we do all that we know how to do to
    help our fellow community people that in turn do such violent acts.
    however, there are still those precious very gracious ones out their
    that pray for us, beg for us, and die in our arms and for that we must
    go on!!

staci myers
    grenada, mississippi

Administrator

Forwarded E-mail:

as a nurse of a small town community, my dearsest friends are the
    fireman and policeman of our town. my heart and prayers go out to you
    the friends, co-workers and families of these men. This world is
    getting to be such a crazy place and we do all that we know how to do to
    help our fellow community people that in turn do such violent acts.
    however, there are still those precious very gracious ones out their
    that pray for us, beg for us, and die in our arms and for that we must
    go on!!

staci myers
    grenada, mississippi

livin4him84
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I am speaking from a first hand experience .My dad was killed on duty he was a firefighter for DeSoto County .He died when I wsa 4.I don't remember all much about him but He died on the line of duty .I don't know how though.

I am sending my condolences to all of the families of the deceased.I feel for the both fir dept.And the Memhis Police Dept.

If I can do anything e-mail me @ Livin4him84@aol.com

Administrator

Subject: The Tragedy In Memphis, TN
    To: webteam@firehouse.com

I wish to extend my condolences to the family of my coworker ("The Deputy")
    for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office, and the family of my brothers for
    the Memphis Fire Department. I was at work when I heard the news. I
    couldn't believe what I had heard. My heart stopped for a moment. Words
    can't describe what we are feeling in Memphis. Now I must continue to be
    strong for my family. As I read the e-mails I just wanted to thank you all
    for your condolences for our falling family member.

Deputy RLE
    Shelby Co Sheriff's Office
    Memphis, TN

A.Walls
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our sympathy in the time of this senseless loss of life. To our brothers in Memphis we grieve for you. Also, condolences to the family of the slain Police Officer.

Allen Walls
    President IAFF Local 3204

[This message has been edited by A.Walls (edited March 08, 2000).]

smokeyemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I would like to send my condolences to the families and friends of the fallen fire- fighters and deputy in Memphis, TN. This is a tragedy to everyone. It is hard to believe that this could happen. This is something that you really don't think about when you consider 'Scene Safety' when responding to a house fire. Memphis Fire and the County Sheriff's deptments are in my thoughts and prayers through this tough time.

jobriath
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

3/8/00

Madness...utter madness. I'm sitting here watching local coverage of the horror that has unfolded in my hometown of Memphis, TN. Tears are streaming down my face. 2 firefighters & 1 sheriff's deputy dead...all trying to perform their often-thankless tasks of protecting & serving the public. I grieve for these heroes, for they allow me to live in safety & comfort while they put their lives on the line EVERY DAY. I am forever in their debt.
    There are simply no rules anymore. Why do people hellbent on their own self-destruction have to turn their anger outward to innocent victims? How many more times do incidents like these have to happen before this country enacts sweeping gun-control measures? It's being proven over & over again: there is simply no way to make guns available to the general public & expect it to act responsibly. Access to firearms should be limited solely to the military & the police.

kimmie1120-
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

My husband and I are volenteer fire fighters
    and we would like to say that our prayers are
    with the familys and fellow members of these
    fallen men. Our hearts go out to them all.
    We just worked a terriable wreck on HWY 64
    where a another fire fighter lost his life in
    a terriable unnecesarry accident and not long
    before that another firefighter lost his life
    in an moter cycle accident.

Our thoughts and Prayers are with a fire fighters and police as they go out to sreve their areas.

kimmie1120

Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

What can you say to this... I lost 2 brothers. Im still in shcok even tho they live many miles away. God. they were are brothers

Justin
    Altamont Vol FD
    Albany co NY

kimmie1120-
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

My husband and I are volenteer fire fighters
    and we would like to say that our prayers are
    with the familys and fellow members of these
    fallen men. Our hearts go out to them all.
    We just worked a terriable wreck on HWY 64
    where a another fire fighter lost his life in
    a terriable unnecesarry accident and not long
    before that another firefighter lost his life
    in an moter cycle accident.

Our thoughts and Prayers are with a fire fighters and police as they go out to sreve their areas.

kimmie1120

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I am outraged that we lose brother firefighters to such a useless thing. I can only say that it is ashamed that the police did not kill the so called "suspect"

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Memphis Fire Department, the families of the fallen brothers and the rest of those afffected.

We will be with you over the next few weeks as your try to recover and grieve your losses.

Stan, Karen, Trey, Ryan (a firefighting family)

dierk
    Firehouse.com Guest

To our brothers in Memphis;

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the families and friends of the two firefighters and police officer killed in the line of duty.It is incomprehensible how anyone can turn on someone trying to help them.

LT. Dennis Dierking
    Jeffersonville Fire Department
    Local 558

kcicallacurtis
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

How shocked I was to hear of the terrible news that has happened here in Memphis with my "family" . My father (who turned 80 yesterday) is a retired district chief. I feel connected to every firefighter because of this, and it grieves me so to hear of anything that happens to them.

This is a tragedy in every sense of the word. I remember the worst thing dad ever talked about was a frozen waterhose. Never could I have imagined something like an ambush befalling those who serve and protect us.

There was no way of knowing a thing like this would happen. I am reminded of a quote on a wall here in Memphis:

"THE BELL RANG, AND THEY ANSWERED"

My prayers are with the families of those taken from us today. May those we lost be remembered for their bravery and dedication.

------------------
    k cicalla curtis
    daughter of retired district fire chief

Cathy/Memphis
    Firehouse.com Guest

My heart goes out to the families of the brave men who lost their lives today. Its a loss that this city will feel for a long time.
    I have the up most respect for our fire, police and sheriff departments. May God be with you each time you are called to protect and serve this community!

Cathy Walker
    wife of a policeman

[This message has been edited by Cathy/Memphis (edited March 08, 2000).]

kldrawdy
    Firehouse.com Guest

My heart goes out to the families of the victims, the Memphis Fire Dept and Shelby Co. Sheriff's Dept. for the senseless losses they suffered today. Although your losses are enormous, you do not grieve alone.

Kathy Drawdy
    Medcom
    Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The Med)

Administrator

Forwarded from E-Mail:

Yet another example of violence that is becoming much too common in
    today's world. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the
    Firefighters and Police Officer, as well as their brothers and sisters on the
    job. God bless.

Steve
    Fishers FD
    Wayne Twp. FD
    Indianapolis, IN

Administrator

From E-Mail:

The West Helena Fire Dept of Arkansas would like to send its love and hope to our brothers and sisters of the Memphis Fire Dept. in the wake of this most awful crime. There are never enough answers( those that make sence, anyway) to console the families or the friends of those that have been taken from us, and evenso don't ever think that you cry alone, because I like you have lost a member of my family today, my brothers in arms in the war against fire.

Administrator

From E-Mail:

My family is very saddened by the loss of the two Memphis firefighters and
    Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy today.

My father is a retired Memphis
    Firefighter and I am a communications officer for our local Sheriff's Office.

We are very saddened by the loss of our fellow brothers. Please know that
    each of these families are in our prayers, each one of the fallen angels were
    very brave today.

Administrator

From E-Mail:

To: webteam@firehouse.com
    Subject: MEMPHIS FIREFIGHTER'S AND SHERIFF
    MARCH 8 2000

I'am a resident of Southaven ms.
    My familey is in shock to know that alot of family's will not have daddy, brother, or friend want come home today becouse he was doing his job. And that job being to try and keep everyone safe. And today these guy's gave there life for nothing.
    A crime that should have never happened. Being that he himself was a firefighter
    and had put his life on the line. Now he takes the lives of friends a wife asheriff.
    For what becouse he was mad? This is very said and are hearts and prayers go out to all family friiends and the son of the lady that was killed today.
    There are know words to say what i fill for all . The only thing i'am sure of is this
    man should get the fullest punishment the law can give. And my family will be praying for you all . One more thing this has hurt more then family and friends
    It has hurt a community and for that i'am very sorry.
    ANN PARR FAMILY

MAY GOD GIVE YOU ALL THE LOVE OF ONE ANOUTHER AT YOUR HOUR OF NEED SO YOU CAN MAKE IT . AND FOR THE LITTLE BOY I HAVE KNOW WORDS JUST A LOT OF PRAYERS

Administrator

To: Forums@Firehouse.Com

I would like to send my prayers out to the families involved in this
    senseless tragedy.Also I would like to send prayers out to the MFD. This
    is something you would not expect or to come to mind when you hear the
    word "firefighter". My husband is a police officer for the Memphis
    Police Department and everyday he walks out the door I pray for him to
    come home. So please keep on doing a wonderful job

Administrator

Forwarded from e-Mail:

It is a sad day in Memphis that we loose more than just firefighters. They were members of our community who gave their lives to protect and serve. To protect us from and against fires not "gunmen". What will it take to keep those who protect us safe? My family sends heartwarming condolences to the Firefighter's and their family's. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all. God Bless you and Keep you.

Christ's Love,
    Michael, Katherine and Patrick

ladyfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I could not believe my eyes when I turned on the news and saw the story of the tragedy in Memphis. To say I am stunned and shaken is an understatement.

The losses we have suffered in the past few months in our extended fire service family have been enormous. We have dealt with the Worcester tragedy, the brothers lost in Keokuk. Now, for something this horrible and senseless to occur... well, it is beyond comprehension.

We know our job carries high risks with it... but no firefighter goes to work expecting to lose their life in this manner. How do we protect ourselves from this type of incident?

I know the Lord has embraced our fallen brothers, and the officer that was taken. I now hope he helps us to find a way to deal with the pain and confusion we are now forced to face.

God bless our fallen heroes...

Rebecca Richardson FF/EMT
    Isles of Capri Fire Rescue
    Collier County, Florida

[This message has been edited by ladyfirefighter (edited March 08, 2000).]

Thread Information