Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    kcicallacurtis
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

How shocked I was to hear of the terrible news that has happened here in Memphis with my "family" . My father (who turned 80 yesterday) is a retired district chief. I feel connected to every firefighter because of this, and it grieves me so to hear of anything that happens to them.

This is a tragedy in every sense of the word. I remember the worst thing dad ever talked about was a frozen waterhose. Never could I have imagined something like an ambush befalling those who serve and protect us.

There was no way of knowing a thing like this would happen. I am reminded of a quote on a wall here in Memphis:

"THE BELL RANG, AND THEY ANSWERED"

My prayers are with the families of those taken from us today. May those we lost be remembered for their bravery and dedication.

------------------
    k cicalla curtis
    daughter of retired district fire chief

Cathy/Memphis
    Firehouse.com Guest

My heart goes out to the families of the brave men who lost their lives today. Its a loss that this city will feel for a long time.
    I have the up most respect for our fire, police and sheriff departments. May God be with you each time you are called to protect and serve this community!

Cathy Walker
    wife of a policeman

[This message has been edited by Cathy/Memphis (edited March 08, 2000).]

kldrawdy
    Firehouse.com Guest

My heart goes out to the families of the victims, the Memphis Fire Dept and Shelby Co. Sheriff's Dept. for the senseless losses they suffered today. Although your losses are enormous, you do not grieve alone.

Kathy Drawdy
    Medcom
    Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The Med)

Administrator

Forwarded from E-Mail:

Yet another example of violence that is becoming much too common in
    today's world. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the
    Firefighters and Police Officer, as well as their brothers and sisters on the
    job. God bless.

Steve
    Fishers FD
    Wayne Twp. FD
    Indianapolis, IN

Administrator

From E-Mail:

The West Helena Fire Dept of Arkansas would like to send its love and hope to our brothers and sisters of the Memphis Fire Dept. in the wake of this most awful crime. There are never enough answers( those that make sence, anyway) to console the families or the friends of those that have been taken from us, and evenso don't ever think that you cry alone, because I like you have lost a member of my family today, my brothers in arms in the war against fire.

Administrator

From E-Mail:

My family is very saddened by the loss of the two Memphis firefighters and
    Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy today.

My father is a retired Memphis
    Firefighter and I am a communications officer for our local Sheriff's Office.

We are very saddened by the loss of our fellow brothers. Please know that
    each of these families are in our prayers, each one of the fallen angels were
    very brave today.

Administrator

From E-Mail:

To: webteam@firehouse.com
    Subject: MEMPHIS FIREFIGHTER'S AND SHERIFF
    MARCH 8 2000

I'am a resident of Southaven ms.
    My familey is in shock to know that alot of family's will not have daddy, brother, or friend want come home today becouse he was doing his job. And that job being to try and keep everyone safe. And today these guy's gave there life for nothing.
    A crime that should have never happened. Being that he himself was a firefighter
    and had put his life on the line. Now he takes the lives of friends a wife asheriff.
    For what becouse he was mad? This is very said and are hearts and prayers go out to all family friiends and the son of the lady that was killed today.
    There are know words to say what i fill for all . The only thing i'am sure of is this
    man should get the fullest punishment the law can give. And my family will be praying for you all . One more thing this has hurt more then family and friends
    It has hurt a community and for that i'am very sorry.
    ANN PARR FAMILY

MAY GOD GIVE YOU ALL THE LOVE OF ONE ANOUTHER AT YOUR HOUR OF NEED SO YOU CAN MAKE IT . AND FOR THE LITTLE BOY I HAVE KNOW WORDS JUST A LOT OF PRAYERS

Administrator

To: Forums@Firehouse.Com

I would like to send my prayers out to the families involved in this
    senseless tragedy.Also I would like to send prayers out to the MFD. This
    is something you would not expect or to come to mind when you hear the
    word "firefighter". My husband is a police officer for the Memphis
    Police Department and everyday he walks out the door I pray for him to
    come home. So please keep on doing a wonderful job

Administrator

Forwarded from e-Mail:

It is a sad day in Memphis that we loose more than just firefighters. They were members of our community who gave their lives to protect and serve. To protect us from and against fires not "gunmen". What will it take to keep those who protect us safe? My family sends heartwarming condolences to the Firefighter's and their family's. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all. God Bless you and Keep you.

Christ's Love,
    Michael, Katherine and Patrick

ladyfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I could not believe my eyes when I turned on the news and saw the story of the tragedy in Memphis. To say I am stunned and shaken is an understatement.

The losses we have suffered in the past few months in our extended fire service family have been enormous. We have dealt with the Worcester tragedy, the brothers lost in Keokuk. Now, for something this horrible and senseless to occur... well, it is beyond comprehension.

We know our job carries high risks with it... but no firefighter goes to work expecting to lose their life in this manner. How do we protect ourselves from this type of incident?

I know the Lord has embraced our fallen brothers, and the officer that was taken. I now hope he helps us to find a way to deal with the pain and confusion we are now forced to face.

God bless our fallen heroes...

Rebecca Richardson FF/EMT
    Isles of Capri Fire Rescue
    Collier County, Florida

[This message has been edited by ladyfirefighter (edited March 08, 2000).]

ou2eeyore
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I had to register to leave a message.I just wanted to say , God bless all the poor families that this mad man has destroyed.Firemen and the police go above and beyond their jobs to serve and protect.Someone should show respect.I've never had the occassion to need the firefighters or the police, but thank you for making life so liveable and taking the fear out of everyday situations.

Unit3akaBeast
    Firehouse.com Guest

First of all thank you to everyone who has posted here. We really do need your prayers now. Unbelieveably the report is true that it was a brother FF that shot and killed 3 of his other brothers, the 2 FF's and the Shelby County Sheriff Deputy. All I know is that he was in EAP with possibly some sort of mental illness but was supposedly cleared by a psychiatrist to come back to work but had apparently called in sick today and did this unspeakable act. I don't really know what else to say except we all need your prayers to get us through this horrible time. I can't believe this.

I have 5 years with the Memphis Fire Dept.
    Thank you to all for your kind words and prayers.

May God be with us all.

[This message has been edited by Unit3akaBeast (edited March 08, 2000).]

Jason Bristow
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

From all the members of Lasker Vol. Fire Dept, we would like to send our condolences to the families of the firefighters killed, and also to the family of the officer killed.

Administrator

Forwarded from E-Mail:

HELLO,

MY NAME IS CHAROLETT CLAYTON, IM A VOL. FIREFIGHTER WITH THE SOUTHWEST ALCORN COUNTY FIRE DEPT. I WISH TO SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES OF THE PEOPLE AMBUSHED TODAY. THIS WAS SO UNCALLED FOR AND INSANE. I HOPE THE MAN GETS THE DEATH PENALTY AND IT IS CARRIED OUT AS SOON AS IT IS HANDED DOWN. PEOPLE LIKE THIS MAN DONT EVEN NEED TO BE RELATED TO AS BEING ONE OF US,,,BECAUSE IF HE TRULY WAS ONE OF US HE WOULD NEVER HAVE GONE DOWN TO THIS LEVEL. SO IN MY HEART I WILL NEVER , EVER, CONSIDER HIM AS BEING PART OF OUR BROTHER AND SISTERHOOD WE ALL HAVE WITH EACH OTHER.

NOT ONLY AM I A VOL. FIRE FIGHTER, IM A FIRST RESPONDER.. SO I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR ALL FEELING AND I JUST WISH I COULD BE THERE TO HUG YOUR NECKS AND HOLD EACH OF YOUR HANDS DURING THIS TRYING TIME,,,,AND MAY WE ALSO KEEP IN OUR HEARTS THE LITTLE BOY LEFT BEHIND,,,,AND THE FAMILIES OF THE FALLEN BRETHERN AND SISTERS.

DEEPEST REGUARDS,

CHAROLETT CLAYTON
    VOL. FIREFIGHTER
    FIRST RESPONDER
    ALCORN COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI

Administrator

Subject: condolences

I AM NOT A FIREFIGHTER OR POLICEMAN BUT I AM ONE WHO THEY SERVE AND PROTECT.
    I AM VERY SADDENED BY THIS TRAGIC ORDEAL AS I WAS ONLY A FEW MILES AWAY FROM
    TODAYS SHOOTINGS. MY HEART IS FILLED WITH GRIEF FOR ALL OF MEMPHIS AND THE
    FAMILYS OF THE VICTIMS. WE HAVE TO STOP ALL THIS MADNESS. PLEASE ACCEPT MY
    THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. ALSO I WOULD SEND MY PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY OF THE WOMEN
    ALSO KILLED WHOSE YOUNG CHILD IS NOW LEFT WITHOUT A MOTHER.
    GOD BLESS

MY LORD GOD, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM GOING. I DO NOT SEE THE ROAD AHEAD OF
    ME. I CANNOT KNOW FOR CERTIAN WHERE IT WILL END. NOR DO I REALLY KNOW MYSELF
    AND THE FACT THAT I THINK THAT I AM FOLLOWING YOUR WILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT I
    AM ACTUALLY DOING SO. BUT I BELIVE THAT THE DESIRE TO PLEASE YOU DOES IN FACT
    PLEASE YOU. AND I HOPE THAT I HAVE THE DESIRE IN ALL THAT I AM DOING. I HOPE
    THAT I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING APART FROM THAT DESIRE. AND I KNOWTHAT IF I DO
    THIS, YOU WILL LEAD ME BY THE RIGHT ROAD THOUGH I MAY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT.
    THEREFORE WILL I TRUST YOU ALWAYS THOUGH I MAY SEEM TO BE LOST AND IN THE
    SHADOW OF DEATH. I WILL NOT FEAR, FOR YOU ARE EVER WITH ME, AND YOU WILL
    NEVER LEAVE ME TO FACE MY JOURNEY HOME ALONE. GUIDE ME INTO THY HEAVENS O
    LORD AND SEND DOWN THE STRENGTH THAT MY LOVED ONES ASK YOUR FOR TO HELP THEM
    THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

EMTP685
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

My concern and greif are unexplainable. My greif of the loss to the people of Memphis. My concern for all fire fighters. We have all seen and read of on scene violence. Of enraged criminals seeking one of our comrades and inflicting harm upon them. What is the managments view of this incident? What will our leaders do to protect us as we do battle while performing our jobs? Can we expect more assistance...or will our leaders just go on "business as usual"? For the publics sake and ours, I hope this drives the point home, we are doing battle every time we respond to a call!!

------------------
    Tim Gibson
    Cy-FairVFD, Houston/Cypress Texas

kathy odum
    Firehouse.com Guest

I also work along side firefighter's, belong to a Volunteer Fire Dept. in Somerville, Tn. and also work at The Med where the victim's and the suspect were taken. My heart goes out the families of the victim's, my prayers are with you now and always as I also live with a firefighter. I do not want him hurt or killed, no one does. But he and other firefighters go out there day in and day out to do their job protecting everybody. They understand they could be hurt on the job, but not by guns, and definitely not by a fellow firefighter. We are there for you, our prayers and thoughts are with you always.

Cartersville Fire Dept
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The Cartersville Fire Dept sends our deepest sympathy to the families of our fallen brothers. My they have peace in their time of suffering. We are truly sorry this had to happen.

ChaplainSkip
    Firehouse.com Guest

My heartfelt prayers are with you right now. May God give you comfort and peace.

Administrator

I would just like to say how sorry I am to the families, friends, and coworkers of the 3 firemen who were senselessly killed in the act of duty. I would just like to thank them for giving their lives to help others. My thought and prayers are with you all.

Thread Information