Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    cowgirl
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy What is a fireman?

WHAT IS A FIREMAN?

He's the guy next door-a man's man with the memory of a little boy. He has never gotten over the excitement of engines & sirens & smoke & danger.
    He's a guy like you and me with warts and worries and unfulfilled dreams. Yet he stands taller than most of us.
    He's a fireman.
    He puts it all on the line when the bell rings.
    A fireman is at once the most fortunate and the least fortunate of men.
    He's a man who saves lives because he has too much death.
    He's a gentle man becausehe has seen the awesome power of violence out of control.
    He's responsive to a child's laughter because his arms have held too many small bodies that will never laugh again.
    He's a man who appreciates the simple pleasures of life-hot coffee held in numb, unbending fingers-a warm bed for bone and muscle compelled beond feeling-the camaraderie of brave men-the divine peace and selfless service of a job well done in the name of all men.
    He doesn't wear buttons or wave flags or shout obscenities.
    When he marches, it is to honor a fallen comrade.
    He doesn't preach the brotherhood of man.
    He lives it.
    unknown

I am a daughter of a Memphis firefighter and have alot of family members that are firefighters. My mother had this newspaper clipping on the frige and every time I past by it I read it. It always made a tear come to my eye and as I hear what happen this clipping came to mind. I just thought it needed to be reprinted. My family and I send out our prayer to the families of the firefighters and the deputy.
    May God Bless All of You.

Paterson FireOfficers
    Firehouse.com Guest

THE CREATION OF THE FIREFIGHTER

When the Lord was creating Firefighters, he was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said, "Your doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And the Lord said "Have you read the specification on this person? Firefighters have to be able to go for hours fighting fires or tending to a person that the usual every day person would never touch, while putting in the back of their mind the circumstances. They have to be able to move at a seconds notice and not think twice of what they are about to do, no matter what the danger. They have to be in top physical condition at all times, running on half-eaten meals, and they must have six pairs of hands.

The Angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pair of hands... no way."

"It's not the hands that are causing me the problems," said the Lord, "it's the three pairs of eyes a Firefighter has to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through the fire and where they and their fellow Firefighters should fight the fire next. Another pair here in the side of the head to see their fellow Firefighters and keep them safe. And another pair of eyes in the front so that they can look for the victims caught in the fire that need their help."

"Lord" said the angel, touching his sleeve, "Rest and work on this tommorrow."

"I can't" said the Lord, "I already have a model that can carry a 250 pound man down a flight of stairs and to safety from a burning building, and can feed a family of five on a civil service paycheck."

The angel circled the model of the Firefighter very slowly, Can it think?"

"You bet" said the Lord. "It can tell you the elements of a hundred fires; and can recite procedures in their sleep that are needed to care for a person until they reach the hospital. And all the while they have to keep their wits about themselves. This Firefighter also has phenomenal personal control. They can deal with a scene full of pain and hurt, coaxing a child's mother into letting go of the child so that they can care for the child in need. And still they rarely get the recongnition for a job well done from anybody, other than from fellow Firefighters."

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her fingers across the cheek of the Firefighter. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "Lord it's a tear. What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

"It's a tear from bottled-up emotions for fallen comrades. A tear for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the American Flag. It's a tear for all the pain and suffering they have encountered. And it's a tear for their commitment to caring for and saving lives of their fellow man!"

"What a wonderful feature Lord, you're a genious" said the angel.

The Lord looked somber and said, "I didn't put it there."

~~ AUTHOR UNKNOWN ~~
    http://www.iaff3860.com/

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

A fireman, to be successful, must enter buildings; he must get in below, above, on every side, from opposite houses, over back walls, over side walls, through panels of doors, through windows, through loop holes, through skylights, through holes cut by himself in the gates, the walls, the roof; he must know how to reach the attic from the basement by ladders placed on half burnt stairs, and the basement from the attic by a rope made fast to a chimney. His whole success depends on him getting in and remaining there, and he must carry his equipment with him, as without them he is of no use.
    Judging by this standard, the business will be seen to be depentant almost entirely on the person and not the gear, and all the best experience has abundantly proved that, however good the machinery and appliances may be, they cannot work themselves, and without active, energetic, intelligent, and fearless people, are vitually useless.

What can one say?

I always try and keep the following saying by Napoleon in mind;
    "The best general; was the one who made the smallest number of mistakes, and any fireman of long standing may be well content to be judged by the same negative standard"

And as an officer in the Rescue Service I never, ever make mistakes, just calculated errors!

Kindest regards & keep safe

Les (UK)

Thread Information