Thread: Utah LODD

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Utah LODD

Information from the internet

Kendall O. Bryant lived to fight fires. Late Friday, he died that way.

Bryant, a full-time Ogden firefighter who worked part time for the city of Layton, died in a house fire here while searching the home to see if anyone was trapped inside.

Layton Fire Chief Allan Peek said Bryant was overcome by heat and died of smoke inhalation when a fire in the home's garage spread to and engulfed an adjacent family room. The family room was directly below the upstairs bedrooms and hall where Bryant and two other firefighters were searching.

"Every one of us wanted to be a firefighter, but I don't know anyone who wanted to be a fireman as bad as Kendall did," said Layton Fire Department Lt. Jason Cook, one of the men who helped battle the blaze at 2365 N. 725 West.

Bryant, 36, a native of the Parowan area, lived in Clearfield. He leaves behind his wife, Michelle, and their three young children. The other two men, Lt. Val King and firefighter Micah Redmond, were injured and hospitalized overnight.

When King sensed a buildup of heat, he ordered the men to evacuate, Peek said. King and Redmond assumed Bryant was right behind them as they escaped down the stairwell, battling intense heat and flames. But it soon became evident, to the horror of the 15 other Layton firefighters engaged in the effort, that something had happened to Bryant.

Peek said the fire began about 10 p.m. The three men were part of an initial attack crew assigned to search the premises and start bringing the fire under control.
    Peek, Cook and others said the fire seemed much like any other residential blaze and that the three firefighters acted accordingly. "It was a routine fire. It didn't seem menacing at all," Cook said.

No one was inside the home, Peek said, but firefighters did not know that when they arrived. And even if they had been told the home was empty, they would have conducted a search anyway, he said. "I don't want anybody second-guessing what they did," Peek said, adding that a full investigation is under way.

Temperatures in the hallway were already between 300 and 500 degrees when the firefighters, wearing protective gear and oxygen masks, entered, he said.
    But when the downstairs room became engulfed in flames, temperatures reached up to 1,000 degrees, and that heat swept quickly up the stairs and through a swamp cooler vent, Peek added. "The stairwell acted like a chimney," Peek said.

Peek speculated that Bryant may have tried to re-enter the master bedroom and exit through the window. He was found 3 feet from the window, and his oxygen tank was empty, Peek said.

Bryant was reported missing at 10:20 p.m. Crews tried three times to re-enter the second story to find him, but the heat was too much, Peek said. A fourth attempt finally reached Bryant at 10:47 p.m., the chief said. Repeated attempts were made to revive him.

Bryant began working part time for the Layton Fire Department in 1992, while holding down a full-time security job in Clearfield. But Cook said Bryant desperately wanted to be a full-time firefighter. Bryant, who also worked on the crash team at Rocky Mountain Raceway, applied to fire companies throughout the West before landing the full-time position with Ogden 31/2 years ago, Cook said.

"My fondest recollection of him is how he helped his wife battle through cancer several years ago," Cook said. "His kids absolutely idolized him."
    Peek called Bryant a gentle, kind man with many skills. He organized the department's softball team and was instrumental in helping the city begin ambulance service, Cook said.

Ogden Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Wood said Bryant had an exemplary work ethic, "not just on the fire ground, but on daily routines. You could count on him to do his job well, then assist someone else with theirs."

Bryant also had a gift with children, Wood said. When schoolchildren toured the fire station and when children of firefighters visited their parents, Bryant would talk with them or ask them to play a game of pool with him, he said. "It really impressed me," Wood said. "The guy had a good heart." Wood said Bryant worked a number of part-time jobs to help with medical expenses incurred with his wife's illness.

"He was a real family man," Wood said.

Peek said a high-powered light bulb and a cardboard box were to blame for the fire. The light, hanging down near the box to keep the family's dog warm, had been on since early Friday, he said. A five-gallon container of gas helped fuel the blaze, he said.
    http://www.sltrib.com/04022000/utah/38097.htm

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Once again, I find myself posting the same words. Another tragedy has struck our family. Our thoughts, hearts and prayers are with our brothers and sisters in the Mid-West. May god watch over the members of Layton Fire Dept. Will he also guide his family, especially his wife and children and help them to make it through this horrible event. Watch over his children and help them make it through their life without their father.

From Virginia
    Stan, Karen, Trey & Ryan
    (a firefighting family)

[This message has been edited by Captstanm (edited April 03, 2000).]

T ony Hartman
    Firehouse.com Guest

The members of the Dresden Fire Department wish to pass their condolences to the family, friends, and fellow members of Layton Fire Department on the passing of Firefighter Kendall O. Bryant. May God be with you in this time of need.

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is always very difficult to explain ones feelings at a time like this, especially as it has happening on a frequent basis.

My thoughts are with Kendall O.Bryant's family, close friends and all of his 'crew' at Layton Fire Department. Even over the 'water' the pain is felt.

I am sure he will always be remembered by all that had the pleasure to meet him.

Les (UK)

macatac
    Firehouse.com Guest

To the Brothers & Sisters of Layton F.D.

May God be with The family of our Fallen Brother, and his extended family too.

L.W.Mac Phee
    FireFighter/E.M.T.
    Tavares Fire Rescue
    (Florida)

PHASEDFIGHTER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another true american hero has fallen, it doesen't seem possible that so many could die in such a short time. We all have lost a brother and his wife and kids have lost a husband and a father. It's very hard to express your fellings at a time like this for we are all part of one of the largest family's in the world. We all know the dangers of what we do, we do it because we love to help people. our deepest condolences to the family and the Layton F.D. on your lose.

Your brothers and sisters of the Chesnee City F.D. Chesnee S.C.

Capt-EJ12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The Richmond, Virginia Department of Fire and Emergency Services, is sadded to learn of the untimely death in the line of duty, of Firefighter Kendall O. Bryant.

Our thoughts and deepest sympathy go to his fmily and to the members of the Ogden and Layton Fire Departments.

May he rest in peace and not be forgotten.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Again this has happen. I am truly sorry this has occurred again! My heart goes out to all the firefighters in the Ogden area.
    Don Zimmerman, Captain Hanford Fire

BobWood
    Firehouse.com Guest

On behalf of the the officers and members of the Yardley-Makefield Fire Co., I would like to extend our deepest sympathy to the Family of Firefighter Kendall O. Bryant and to both the Layton and Ogden Fire Depts. Our hearts and prayers are with all of you in this time of sorrow.

Robert J. Wood
    Firefighter, Yardley-Makfield Fire Co.
    Bucks Co, PA

------------------

fm506wtfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

The fire service has lost another brother to fire. It is with the deepest regrets that it happened so close to home. As a firefighter in northern UT it is very difficult to say goodbye to a brother. Our deepest sympathy to the wife and children of Kendall Bryant. We know that words cannot ease the pain, we do know that the brotherhood and the love of the firefighters in Utah and all across the nation can help. Our prayers go out to the fellow firefighters of Ogden and Layton Fire departments at this time.

Rob Herndon
    Washington Terrace Fire Rescue
    Fire Marshal

[This message has been edited by fm506wtfd (edited April 03, 2000).]

!resqron30!
    Firehouse.com Guest

The family of firefighter Bryant shall forever be in my thoughts and prayers.

------------------

evb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Words cannot express the empty feeling inside when news reached Houston in regard to the loss of Kendall. I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to his family, his crew, and all those who were touched by him.

I will see you brother when I am called to serve.

------------------
    Eric Bush, Firefighter (retired)
    Houston, Texas USA

http://www.lastalarm.org
    A National Internet Site for our fallen heroes of the fire/rescue services

Russell Markos
    Firehouse.com Guest

The prayers and condolences of the Clinton City Fire Department and the Utah State Firemens Assn. go out to the Wife, children, and extended family of Kendall O. Bryant of the Layton City Fire Department. Godspeed to our fallen brother.

------------------
    Russell G. Markos
    Captain, Clinton City Fire

Rodney Wagner
    Firehouse.com Guest

On behalf of the Ridgefield Park, NJ Fire Department, I wish to express our deepest condolences to the family, friends & co-workers of Firefighter Kendall Bryant. Our thoughts are with you all.

------------------
    Assistant Chief Rodney Wagner
    Ridgefield Park, NJ Volunteer Fire Department

ycfd4mom
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

This is yet another tragedy for the firefighting families and their communities. God bless the family of this fallen hero and his firefighting brothers and sisters, as well. May you find strength in each other and in knowing that your husband, father and brother is in the arms of a loving God. Many prayers are being sent up for you all. May peace and love find you at this time of sorrow.

Michrehf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

It seem that all to often we find ourselves writing these notes of love, caring and compassion. I truly wish and pray that this was not the case, but it is. To the family, freinds and coworkers of FF. Bryant I extend my heartfelt condolenses. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

------------------
    Michael R. Rehfeld
    Firefighter
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    IAFF Local 1311

F.F.MFIELDS
    Firehouse.com Guest

As i read this story it personally saddens me to see that another member of our family has fallen. I would like the Bryant family to know that your pain is felt all over the world. I would like to send my deepest sympathy to his wife and 3 children and the brothers and sisters who he fought next too.

My prayers are with you all.

Michael Fields
    Firefighter,Georgetown Fire Dept.
    Georgetown,T.X.

Brydavies
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Logan Firefighter's Assn. wishes to express are deepest condolences to Kendall Bryant's wife, children, friends, and fellow firefighters. Thank you for allowing us to participate in the funeral, it was very touching. May the Lord give you the strength you need during this trying time.

Bryan Davies
    Logan Fire Department, Utah

HEIDI WAYMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

THE JEFFERSON FIRE DEPARTMENT SENDS THIER CONDOLENCES AND PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY OF
    KENDALL BRYANT. GOD BE WITH YOU.

THE JEFFERSON FIRE DEPARTMENT
    JEFFERSON, OH 44047

ResQRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

We commend Kendall to our Loving Father.

I repeat once again, it has been a TERRIBLE year for the Fire Service!

For information on dealing with grief, coping with LODDs and staying well physically, mentally and spiritually visit www.theultimatefirehouse.com

------------------
    Rev. John G. Fleischmann
    Director
    Suffolk Co. NY CISM Team

Chief Izzy
    Firehouse.com Guest

On behalf of my Dept, Station 902 / Squad 198, Fairless Hills, PA
    the prayers and condolences of my crew go to the Bryant Family, the crews of both the Layton and Ogden Depts.

Our Deepest sympathies,
    we also grieve at the loss of a brother.

He is now another of the Special Guardian Angels, that we all have.

Chief J. Isajewicz
    Squad 198
    Fairless Hills PA

Mike Weibel
    Firehouse.com Guest

The men and women of Smithfield (UT) Fire & Rescue extend their deepest sympathies to Kendall's family and fellow firefighters. It is a terrible loss that is felt by all of us.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

CaptDFH
    Firehouse.com Guest

It has been a very sad week for us in Utah. We lost a great guy, Kendall Bryant in a house fire. Kendall worked at Ogden City Fire and was taken by a fire working part-time at another nearby Department, Layton Fire in Layton, Utah. I was his Captain in Ogden for approx. 2 years. He was very enthusiastic, hard working, caring for his patients and a true brother to us all. He leaves a beautiful family, his wife and 3 young kids. I loved working with him and being his friend. We will all miss him dearly.

Thread Information