Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Iowa LODD

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Iowa LODD

I received word today via EMAIL over the wire that a volunteer firefighter in Iowa was killed in the line of duty. He died while fighting a fire in a fuel tank that had exploded and ignited while it was being cut open. Apparently there was another explosion during suppression efforts and he was killed as a result. Several other firefighters where also injured. I wanted to start this off even though there was sketchy information.

The thoughts and prayers of my family go out to the members of that Department in Iowa. Also, we pray for those that were injured and hope that God watches over them and pulls them through. Most of all we pray that God watches over the family and loved ones of our fallen brother as he brings him home to the station in the promised land after his "LAST ALARM". Our sympathies go out to you and your families and your loved ones. Rest easy knowing that all across the world, we all care about what happens to each other. God bless all of you and watch over you and keep you safe as the details of this tragedy unfold.

Stan, Karen, Trey, Ryan
    A Fire and EMS Family in Virginia

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is the info I found via the internet:

Friday April 7th, 2000
    Explosion Rocks Winterset - Two Die

Two people have been killed in the explosion of a diesel tank at a Winterset business late this morning. One of the deaths is a Winterset firefighter...the other a civilian. The explosion happened outside the East Green Collision Center in Winterset. Residents say the local fire department had been on the scene to extinguish a grass fire near two large tanks that sat several feet off the ground. After the fire was put out, one of the tanks exploded. Both helicopter ambulances from Des Moines were sent to Winterset to pick up the injured. In addition to the two people who died, one firefighter is in stable condition at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines with multiple fractures. Seven firefighters were treated and released at the hospital in Winterset. Another civilian is in critical condition at Mercy. Winterset residents said the explosion could be heard all over town. The woman who lives across the street says the explosion knocked holes in the plaster of her living room. News Channel 8 has crews in Winterset and will have full updates throughout the day.

evb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

My condolences go out to the family and crew whose life has been touched by James Griffith of the Winterset Volunteer Fire Department in Winterset, Iowa.

I hope that as we professionals rally around his family and friends, that they find comfort in the fact that his heroism has not gone unnoticed.

Indeed he is now serving a higher authority. I shall see you brother when I am called to serve as well.

------------------
    Eric Bush, Firefighter (retired)
    Houston, Texas USA

http://www.lastalarm.org
    A National Internet Site for our fallen heroes of the fire/rescue services

Rodney Wagner
    Firehouse.com Guest

On behalf of the Ridgefield Park, NJ Fire Department, I wish to extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family, friends & fellow Winterset FD members. Our thoughts are with all of you during this trying time.

------------------
    Assistant Chief Rodney Wagner
    Ridgefield Park, NJ Volunteer Fire Department

T ony Hartman
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Dresden Fire Department wishes to pass on their condolences to the faimly, friends and fellow members of th Winterset Fire Department on the lost of Firefighter Jim Griffith. May God be with you in this time of need.

ACFDEagle5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Yet another tragedy for the fire service and one of our brothers had made the ultimate sacrifice.
    My sympahties go out to the Winterset Fire Dept and Firefighter Griffith's family, friends and loved ones.
    Words cannot ease the pain of your loss:
    (Is 6:8) Then I heard the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" "Here I am," I said; send me!"
    Firefighter Griffith answered his last alarm in honored glory.

------------------
    Martin J. Martinez
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Federal Fire Department (VA)

Rizz257
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

It is with deep sadness that we hear of yet another brother taken from us by the beast.The Officers and Members of Heavy Rescue Co 1 of the Elmont FD wish to express their condolences to the family and friends of Jim Griffith.We also pray for the speedy recovery of the others injured at the tank explosion.May the Supreme Chief watch over Jim's family and guide Jim to the eternal headquarters.God Bless all the brothers past present and future.

Peter Rizzo Ex Capt
    Heavy Rescue Co 1
    Elmont FD Elmont NY

PHASEDFIGHTER
    Firehouse.com Guest

ANOTHER GREAT AMERICAN HERO HAS FALLEN. THIS HAS HAPPENED FAR TO OFTEN LATELY. WE ALL KNOW THE RISK BUT WE STILL RESPOND. IT DOSENT MATTER IF YOUR A VOLUNTEER OR IF YOUR A PAID FIREFIGHTER WE ARE ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ONE OF THE LARGEST FAMILYS IN THE WORLD. WE HAVE LOST ANOTHER BROTHER. MAY GOD BE WITH THE WINTERSET F.D. AND THE FAMILY OF OUR DOWNED BROTHER IN THIS GREAT HOUR OF NEED. FROM THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE CHESNEE CITY F.D. CHESNEE S.C.

RONALD FORBES
    FIREFIGHTER/ENGINEER
    CHESNEE CITY F.D.
    CHESNEE S.C.

keitho61
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

To the memebers of the Winterset Fire Department you are in our thoughts and prayers in this trying time for your department. Our sympathies goes to the Family, friends and memebers of the department. From the memebers of the Gamewell Fire Dept.
    Lenoir,NC

Tom Reiland
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The members and families of the Ankeny, Iowa Fire Department wish to send our sincere condolences to the Winterset Fire Department, their families, and their community. All of us will have you and your families in our thoughts and prayers.

------------------

drmil53
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The members of the Lytton Fire Dep't.(Lytton Ia), wish to extend their condolences to the Winterset Fire Dep't, the Winterset community and the Griffith family. Another tragic loss in the state of Iowa this year

Alan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The members of the Coulter IA Fire Department send our sincere condolences to the families, community and Fire Department in Winterset. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, as well as those that were injured.

Joker232
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The thoughts and prayers of everyone at the Pleasant Grove Fire Dept.are with Jim's family and his brothers and sisters in the Winterset Fire Dept. Stick together and may god be with each and every one of you through these tough times-

Joe Van Haalen
    Pleasant Grove Fire Dept.
    Pleasantville, Iowa

bfd94301
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

The members of the Badger Fire Dep't. ( Badger, IA) would like to express our condolences to the Griffth family and to the Winterset Fire Department. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all in this time of great loss.

Administrator

To: <Forums@Firehouse.Com>

My name is Chuck Cleveland and I'm a brother-in-law to Jimmy Griffith. I would like you to know that I'm printing off the messages that firefighters are posting on your site to the family. It has been a sad time for the family, it has been comforting to know that alot of people out there care for a fallen firefighter. Thank you from the family.

gfd504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

My family offers our hopes and prayers to the Winterset FD and the families of everyone
    that has been touched by this tragedy. It has been a hard year in the brotherhood of
    Firefighting, we have suffered far to many
    LODD.

------------------
    Rob Vest
    Grinnell, Iowa FD

jedge168
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to echo the sentiments of Captstanm from another thread. I'm beginning to hate logging on here and reading of yet another brother gone. My familys' thoughts and prayers to the family of James Griffith & the Winterset Fire Dept.

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

My condolences to the family and close friends of Jim Griffith and the 'crew' of Winterset Fire Dept. Even over the water the pain of this loss can be felt.

I am sure he will be greatly missed by all of those who had the pleasure to know him. He will be with you always, in your memories.

Les (UK)

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

My condolences to the family and friends.

Ken
    Local 3133

dave4381
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Another of our brethren has made the ultimate sacrifice. Myself and the rest of us here at the Newport Fire Department, Newport , NC, wish to express our condolences to the family, friends and crew members of James Griffith. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of mourning.

------------------
    David H. Sirabian
    Firefighter/EMT-I
    Newport, NC

Number5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

As a retired member of the WFD Thanks to you all for your support and prayers. Jimmy is smiling at us right now!

ekutzli
    Firehouse.com Guest

The sympathy and prayers of the members of the Stanton Fire and Rescue Department, Stanton Iowa, are extended to the family and friends of Volunteer James Griffith. Our heartfelt condolences are also sent to the members of the Winterset Fire Department. If there is any way that we can assist you at this time remember that we are not far away. As many as possible plan to join the memorial Service at the High School tommorrow to honor our fallen brother and support his family, friends and department. We also offer our suppport for those injured in this tragedy.

------------------
    Eric Kutzli - Chief
    Stanton Fire and Rescue Department
    Stanton IA 51573

Lt Sandy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Words cannot express the sadness felt by the fire service community. May God Bless each and everyone touched by this tragedy.

Rest in Peace dear brother.

Hartsgrove Volunteer Fire Department
    Hartsgrove, Ashtabula County, Ohio

Lt Sandy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Words cannot express the sadness felt by the fire service community. May God Bless each and everyone touched by this tragedy.

Rest in Peace dear brother.

Hartsgrove Volunteer Fire Department
    Hartsgrove, Ashtabula County, Ohio

BFD22DAF
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are truly sadden to hear of yet another brother losing his life in the line of duty. The members of the Brighton Volunteer Fire Company in Tonawanda, New York extend our deepest sympathies and prayers to the members of the Winterset Fire Company, and the family of firefighter Jim Griffith. As the Lord says, "Turn to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." (Joel 2:12). The Lord will bless thee, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 236b)
    Firefighter Douglas Dafgard

[This message has been edited by BFD22DAF (edited April 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BFD22DAF (edited April 11, 2000).]

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information