FFMED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post LODD death of Chicago FD LT

Saturday, a Chicago FD LT was struck by a drunk driver, speeding through a traffic accident that they were operating at. The driver was apprehended but not before he killed one of Chicago's Bravest. My heartfelt sympathies go out to LT. Scott Gillen's family & and to the men and women of Local 2. May God help to ease your pain suffering during this tragic time.

FF Thomas Levy
    East Hartford, CT
    Local 1548

keitho61
    Firehouse.com Guest

The members of the Gamewell Fire Dept. wishes to express our condolencesto the family of Lieut. Scott Gillen and to the members of the Chicago Fire Dept. in your lost of a member. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

JTA6388
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's hard to even know what to say about something like this, but it really is too bad that the public doesn't respect and pay more attention to emergency crews. People seem to be in such a hurry any more, they don't seem to care about anyone else, whether it's someone trying to pass traffic stopped because of an accident on the shoulder and block the ambulance, or something like this. The really sad part is, from most accounts I've read, the driver had somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 times the legal Blood-Alcohol levels.

I don't understand what is so important to these people about drinking too much and then trying to drive home. I'm not even legal to drink yet, so maybe it's just something I can't understand, but you'd think these people would realize they they don't just hurt themselves, they hurt others, too. I can't even begin to understand what the Gillen family is feeling right now, but I do know that Monday (New Years) is the 9th anniversary of the death of my uncle (and best friend) at the hands of a drunk driver, and I don't know anything that hurts more than losing someone you love to something as pointless as drunk driving.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Lt. Scott Gillen's family, and to his friends and comrades in the Chicago Fire Department. The loss of a good man is felt here in Kansas, and further than that, I'm sure. And there's no doubt he was a good man, if he dedicated - and gave - his life helping strangers for a 'Thank you.'

mrs073
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

First and foremost, my sympathies go to Lt. Gillen's family and friends. I am the wife of a fellow firefighter and cannot even imagine the grief his wife and extended family are going through. Every day my husband goes to work I pray that he will come home safely. 14 years ago I thought that I would "only" have to worry about my husband being hurt in a fire -- now I have to worry about him being killed in an accident going to the scene or being killed while on the scene.

What happened to Lt. Gillen states what has happened to society -- people are in too much of a hurry and nobody else is as important as they are. My husband tells me about, and I see for myself, the lack of attention and respect that people show for emergency vehicles going down the street. He even had a woman gesture at him, while his crew was going past her mini-van with lights and sirens going, that she could not hear on her cell phone!!!! Don't these idiots realize that nothing is as precious as life? These men and women, these heroes, are out on the streets every day helping people, without asking for a Thank You. They do it because it is what they love to do.

The father of the man that killed Lt. Gillen said that it is not his son's fault? NOT HIS FAULT that he did not have a valid drivers license? NOT HIS FAULT that he had a blood alcohol level 1.5+ times the legal limit? NOT HIS FAULT that he went around emergency vehicles / barriers? NOT HIS FAULT that he caused another accident that killed a hero? Exactly what else did he need to do to make it HIS FAULT?

------------------

Thread Information