Default My Tribute:SAFELY HOME

SAFELY HOME

A TYPICAL MORNING ON A SEPTEMBER DAY
    ABOUT TO CHANGE SO MANY LIVES IN SUCH A TRAGIC WAY
    NEW YORK’S HEROES STOOD READY TO ANSWER THE CALL
    BRAVELY AND SWIFTLY, AS THEY HANDLED THEM ALL

ARRIVING AT THE TOWERS THAT THEY USED TO KNOW
    OBSERVING THE FLAMES AND SMOKE START TO GROW
    ONE THING WENT THROUGH THE MIND OF EACH MAN WITHOUT DOUBT. TO GO INTO THE BUILDING AND GET EVERYONE OUT.

THEIR COMRADES BESIDE THEM NOT HAVING TIME TO THINK OR WORRY.JUST GET PEOPLE OUT AND GET BACK IN-- IN A HURRY. HEROIC HEROES WHO NEVER THOUGHT FOR A MINUTE
    THAT THE FATE IN GOD’S HANDS HAD PLANS FOR THEM IN IT.

WITHOUT WARNING OR THOUGHT, JUST A TERRIBLE SOUND
    AS THE BUILDING ONCE STANDING SO PROUD-- TUMBLED TO THE GROUND. ONE BY ONE THEY CLAWED, AND SIFTED THROUGH RUBBLE.TRYING TO RESCUE THEIR BROTHERS WHO NOW WERE IN TROUBLE.

AND THEN ONCE AGAIN ON THAT HORRIFIC DAY
    THE SECOND TOWER CAME DOWN IN A SIMILAR WAY.
    OVER 300 BROTHERS-SURELY NEW YORK’S BEST
    WENT HOME TO GOD TO THEIR ETERNAL REST

LEAVING COUNTLESS WIDOWS, CHILDREN AND THEIR COMRADES TO GRIEVE, A THOUGHT TO THIS DAY THAT MANY STILL CANT BELIEVE. AND LIKE A CAPTAIN WHO GOES DOWN WITH HIS SHIP-THEIR CHIEF JOINED HIS HEROES ON THEIR ETERNAL TRIP

OF COURSE NEVER IN HISTORY HAVE SO MANY MEN,
    PERISHED IN THE SHORT TIME AS SO AWFULLY HAPPENED THEN.THEIR COMRADES STILL SEARCH, STILL IN DANGER,
    FOR THEIR FALLEN COMRADES AND EVEN FOR A STRANGER

TO LOSE ONE BROTHER IS TRAGIC OF COURSE
    BUT TO LOSE COMRADE AFTER COMRADE-THERE CAN’T SURELY BE WORSE. FROM FUNERAL TO FUNERAL THEN BACK TO SEARCH FOR MORE—TO PRAY OVER THEM AND BRING THEM HOME TO THEIR FAMILIES AND TO KNOW FOR SURE

WHEN EVERY 5-5-5-5 TOLLS OUR EMOTIONS ARE SUCH
    THAT WE HAVE ONE OF OUR BROTHERS HOME, BUT WILL MISS HIM SO MUCH.MAY GOD GRANT ALL OF OUR BROTHERS ETERNAL REST, AND BY NOW HE KNOWS THAT HE TOOK THE VERY BEST

ALTHOUGH I CANT IMAGINE THEIR GRIEF THROUGH THIS POEM
    I KNOW THERE WILL BE NO REST UNTIL THEY’RE ALL “SAFELY HOME” I KNOW IT SOUNDS RHETORICAL THAT LIFE’S ONLY A TEST—BUT ON 9-11 GOD INDEED PROVED HE ONLY TAKES THE BEST!

GOD BLESS ALL FIREFIGHTERS EVERYWHERE BUT ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIREFIGHTERS OF NY AND THEIR GRIEVING FAMILIES AND FIREFIGHTING FAMILIES

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE!

Charles H Clougherty Jr
    Woburn, Massachusetts
    10-01-01

**AS A SIDE NOTE, THE AUTHOR OF THIS POEM LOST AN UNCLE AND FOUR OTHER FIREFIGHTERS ON TRUMBULL ST IN BOSTON EXACTLY 37 YEARS AGO TODAY 10-01-64**

Chuck, thanks for the poem it is very heart touching, and echos what many of us are feeling in this itme of loss. I will post, at my station house, your poem and we all morn YOUR loss 37 yrs ago, shall we never forget those who have lost their lives for our fellow man in the fire service. I keep in mind the following: John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." May GOD be with you in this time of need.

Thread Information