Administrator

Default Houston, Texas Line of Duty Death - Oct 13, 2001

http://www.firehouse.com/lodd/2001/tx_Poct13.html

HOUSTON -- A five-alarm blaze broke out in a high-rise apartment complex in Houston on Saturday, killing a firefighter, a man and injuring several others.

Capt. Jay Jahnke, 40, was a 20-year veteran of the Houston Fire Department.

He leaves behind a wife and two children.

Jahnke comes from a long line of firefighters. His father, uncle and brother are all firefighters.

He was promoted to captain in 1997 and also served as a safety officer for the Cypress Creek Volunteer Fire Department.

Rabble rouser

I am truly saddened by this tragic news.

I worked under Jay when I was a rookie, and he had just been promoted to Captain. To this day, I have not met a nicer, more eager teacher and more dedicated fireman and officer than he.

Let his death not be in vain.

Kobersteen

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Kobersteen ]

The officers and members of the ST. Joseph Fire Department L1670 IAFF, St. Joseph, Michigan would like to extend our condolences to the family of Capt. Jay P. Jahnke and also to the Houston Fire Department after Capt. Jahnkes tragic untimely death this morning.

be safe out there!

Thought and prayers go out to Capt. Jahnke and his family. I known Capt. Jahnke for many years, he always had a good attitude and new how to make me laugh. Capt. Jahnke was very helpful with getting me hired on with Houston Fire Dept. Capt. Jahnke wrote many letters of recommendation for me in order to get hired with the Houston Fire Dept. He always told me that I would make a great firefighter with the Houston Fire Dept, and he would be proud if I was able to chose his station and his shift when it came time to chose a station assignment upon my graduation from the academy. Capt Jahnke was a true friend of mine and I will greatly miss him. Capt. Jahnke always made sure that I kept applying for the job of firefighter with Houston, even when I thought there was no way that I was going to get hired. Thank You Capt. for keeping faith in me and I will make you proud. You will be dearly missed, and may god bless you and your family

Eric Orr
    HFD Cadet
    Class 7-2001

No matter if it is 1 Firefighter or 341. The lose of a brother is very hard. The Cahokia Fire Dept would like to send our deepest regrets to our Brothers and sister's of the Houston Fire Dept. Another HERO has gone home.

On October 11th I took down the flag outside my house, folded and put it high on a shelf, thinking as I did that the next time I raised it would be a public holiday. I am deeply saddened and also angered that two days later I am having to raise it again to fly at half mast.

We have lost another brother. I also pray that his death will not be in vain.
    Gareth O'Brien
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Houston Fire Dept.

OUR HEARTS ARE HEAVY FOR THE LOSS OF OUR BROTHER CAPT. JAY JAHNKE. OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH HIS WIFE AND CHILDERN.AND OUR BROTHERS AT THE HOUSTON FIRE DEPT.MAY GOD BLESS AND COMFORT EACH OF YOU IN THIS TIME OF NEED.
    CHAPLAIN MICHAEL F. DAVIS

Another Brother has performed his duty beyond the call of duty. Our hearts are heavy for his family and fellow members of the Houston Fire Dept. Godspeed Captain Jay Jahnke. Peace and comfort for those left behind. Billy Reiter Firefighter/Chaplain
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

To the members of the Houston Fire Department, on behalf of Georgetown-Scott County EMS, we are saddened to hear of another tragic loss in the emergency community. Our prayers are with you and know that your Captain is watching over you. God Bless and Be Safe D Sloane EMT-P

Forum Member

I would like to pass alng my sympathies to the family of Capt. Jahnke and the entire Houston Fire Department. I wore my HFD t-shirt today as a way to remember him...another Brother in Heaven to watch over us all...

On behalf of the Sugar Land Fire Dept., we would like to extend our condolences to the Jahnke family and to the members of the Houston Fire Dept. on this tragic loss. God bless the Jahnke family and HFD.

JB
    These are MY opinions only, not the organizations that I am affiliated with.

Dont forget to wear your "REED"!

Be Safe
    Jerremy Brown

OUR PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCES GO TO THE HOUSTON FIRE DEPT., THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF CAPT. JAY JAHNKE. WE ARE ALL SADDENED TO SEE THE LOSS OF ANOTHER BROTHER; BUT WE ARE PROUD OF THE WORK THAT HE DEMONSTRATED
    RAY VADEN
    SPLENDORA V.F.D.
    MCHD

Jay was one of those guys you could not help but like. We worked together 2 weeks ago and he will be missed. My prayers go out to his family and his extended family in the HFD.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I would like to express my condolences to Captain Jahnke's family, the members of the Houston Fire Department, and the members of the Cypress Creek Vol. Fire Department. Though I did not know him personally, he sounds like a very special person. May God give you strength in this difficult time.

Tom Drennan
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I would like to offer my deepest sympathies
    to the family and friends of Captain Jahnke.
    His courage and determination to help others
    in thier time of need will never be forgotten. My prayers are with you and the
    Houston Fire Dept.

God Bless
    Gary Schafer
    North Central Fire

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: snowball ]

I'LL MISS YOU JAYBIRD

sot

My heart is deeply saddened by the death of another brother. My prayers and deepest condolences go out to the Jahnke family and also the Houston Fire Dept. family. May our loss be HEAVENS gain. May GOD bless all of you with His compassion and love.

Sincerily,
    sot
    Sugar Land FD, TX

sot

My heart is deeply saddened by the death of another brother. My prayers and deepest condolences go out to the Jahnke family and also the Houston Fire Dept. family. May our loss be HEAVENS gain. May GOD bless all of you with His compassion and love.

Sincerily,
    sot
    Sugar Land FD, TX

I found out that today is Capt.Jahnke daughter's birthday.He has family here in Tulsa that are very proud of him. I want all of his family and friends to know that you are in our prayers.

Tracy Perrin
    Tulsa Fire Department
    Local 176

OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY OF OUR BROTHER CAPT. JAHNKE. OUR THOUGHTS ALSO GO OUT TO THE HUSTON FIRE DEPT. AND THE CYPRESS CREEK VFD.
    I HOPE HIS DEATH WAS NOT IN VAIN.

LT. VIC PETERSON
    CITY OF ELKO FD
    ELKO, NV

To the Jahnke family and the Houston FD my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Hopefully, you may find some comfort in knowing he is now resting in peace in the company of many other heroic Brother's and Sister's.

God Bless you Capt Jahnke you will never be forgotten.

My thoughts and prayers also go out to the the injured Firefighters for a speedy recovery.

Dave
    HTFD

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Houston Fire Department for the loss of our brother , Capt Jay Jahnke. May God strengthen his family and his friends at this time.
    May the injured firefighters recovery quickly from their injuries and remember the pride they instill in us all.
    RevMarkDeBrizzi
    "Because HE lives we can face tomorrow"

Our soncere sympathies to all of you in Houston and the family. Be assured of prayers for you.

Fr. Jim Seymour
    Chaplain
    Lawrence FD
    LAwrence MA
    C-12

"Somewhere-Everyday, We Fight For Life..."<br /> I.A.F.F. Memorial

My sincere condolences go out to the family &
    friends of Houston Fire Capt. Jay Jahnke.

On behalf of all of us at Dalmatian Productions, Inc., producers of "America's Heroes:The Men & Women of Fire/Rescue," we express our sincere condolences to the family, comrades and friends of Capt. Jay Jahnke.

May the memories of his dedication to his family, his job and his community serve as an inspiration to us all.

Steven S. Greene
    Executive Producer

Thread Information