Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy LODD - Victoria, Australia

On behalf of the Officers and members of the Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade I would like to pass on our sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of Skye Fire Brigade volunteer Darren Ridley who tragically died when his car hit a <br />tree on route to an MVA on Saturday night.

We found the following poem which we feel expresses our feelings for Darren - a brother firefighter and part of our greater "family":

When you mix training and dedication you're called a PROFESSIONAL<br />When you mix compassion and caring you're called a FRIEND<br />When you mix bravery and selflessness you're called a HERO<br />When you mix all three you're called a FIREFIGHTER.

Be it paid or volunteer, we are all family. No matter how far apart we are or where we live, as firefighters, we are family. We are the protectors of life. We are all in some way in God's hands. He watches us all in everything we do. We are all family.

In Darren's memory we will wear the firefighters' ribbon.

Rest in Peace.
    Lt JJ Edmondson
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA

"I walk where the fire dances"

** International Firefighters' Day **:
    http://www.iffd.net

Arrow

A copy of the recent media release regarding Darren's death:

Another 'one of our own' has been lost in the line of duty.

CFA flags are flying at half-mast this week following the death of Skye volunteer firefighter Darren Ridley at the weekend.

The energetic 24 year old was killed when his car crashed on McCormicks Road about 20 past 11 Saturday night, 15 December 2001.

His tragic death has not only shocked the close-knit Skye brigade but the entire CFA family, prompting tributes from his devastated colleagues and all CFA people.

Chief Executive Officer Bob Seiffert expressed his deepest sympathy to the brigade and Darren's family: "All of us in CFA share in your grief and are thinking of you at this difficult time.

I am keenly aware of the level of commitment, enthusiasm and professionalism which Darren had demonstrated as a CFA volunteer. He has paid the ultimate sacrifice for a generous spirit and willingness to serve his community." Bob Seiffert said.

Darren joined Skye brigade about five years ago on the recommendation of a friend and quickly became a very popular member who's remembered for his willingness to lend a hand to whatever needed doing.

Skye Captain John Comelli said "I'm going to miss my young co-pilot" referring to Darren's frequent availability at the brigade's numerous daytime turnouts.

Fourth Lieutenant Mark Egan said John used to 'hang it on' Darren about his record of attendance during the day because Darren even managed to beat his captain's response record by six calls.

"I told him it'd cost him a beer if he beat me" Cpt.John Comelli said.

Lieut.Mark Egan is also anxious to correct any misconceptions the media might have created surrounding the circumstances leading up to the fatal collision.

"The brigade was called to an MVA at 2240hrs on Saturday night but Darren did not attend that call, because he'd been out with his family. When he got home he was told that his pager had gone off and we think he must have listened to the radio traffic and heard we were still on scene, so he thought he'd come and see if he could help.

"Darren's accident happened at 2323hrs, so the two incidents are not connected and police who attended the scene stated that speed does not appear to have been a contributing factor in the crash." Mark concluded.

Funeral arrangements are still to be announced.

Thread Information