volff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Child and disabled window stickers

Any one know where we can get stickers to put on windows in our response area that dont cost any thing?

adarty
    Firehouse.com Guest

The source that I use for materials like the totfinder stickers is the Arkansas Childrens Hospital. Great source for this kind of stuff. Great staff there also, by the way. Check with hospitals in your area, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Insurance companies are another good source, we have a couple of local agents who are always coming up with this kind of material, especially during Fire Safety Week.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

JOHN J. DELUCA
    Firehouse.com Guest

I AM NOT TRYING TO STEP ON ENTHUSIASM, BUT BE CAREFUL WITH THE STICKERS. I'VE SEEN THEM PLACED ON EVERY WINDOW OF A HOUSE, AND THE PEOPLE DIDN'T HAVE ANY CHILDREN. WE STOP GIVING THEM OUT YEARS AGO, AND PLACED THE EMPHASIS ON DOING A COMPLETE PRIMARY SEARCH FOR EVERYBODY.

Halon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ditto Deluka's message.
    Our department's philosophy is this;

1. The tot/disabled finders are placed on windows other than children's/disabled sleeping area windows. People place them on the correct windows and move out to another location;
    2. Too much time may be waisted searching a room that may not have a child or disabled person in it. They may be sleeping in the living room, confused while escaping they may be in another room;
    3. And lastly, it is a good marking system for pedafiles or criminals wanting to rape, pillage or rob the elderly. Children, the elderly and disabled are easy marks anyway why identify them at home.

For the above reasons, we do not recommend tot/disabled finders. We concentrate on teaching escape techniques for the entire family, pre-planning and practicing fire drills, and our departments use an agressive primary search of the entire residence.

Either decission, good luck and happy life saving.

Halon

[This message has been edited by Halon (edited April 28, 1999).]

I gotta agree with those who say forget the sticker. Other points (some speaking from experience):

1. How many times do babies sleep in parents' room (sick, etc.)?
    2. Same for tots (scared, etc.)
    3. Even if the kid is sleeping there, will he/she panic and run to another room?

Concentrate on good search techniques. Stickers are useless PR, false security.

volff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I want to thank you for the replys sent in to my question on the stickers. The thoughts about people moving and forgetting them had crossed my mind many times. Most of the residents in our response area will remain for years. But having weighed all the responses I think we will stress complete searches of the structure, but for those residents where elderly have lived for many years we may place their sleeping rooms on our preplanning sheet for first attention. But thanks to all. BE SAFE

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Years ago these stickers were available from State Farm Insurance at no cost. I believe they were the originator of the "Tot-Finder" program. They discontinued them - probably because of the issues raised by other responders. It is a false sense of security and they very quietly walked away from the program.

Thread Information