firefighter4u
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default teaching fire safety

I am looking for information on teaching elementary school kids fire prevention, fire safety and a general knowledge of what the fire service is all about. Please email me at dealj@strato.net. Thanks!

Halon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi,
    As a beginning program, keep it simple. Smoke detector instalation and testing; stay low and go; stop drop and roll; firefighter familularity (very important for this age group); maybe discuss the importance of a meeting place; 9-1-1 (if available); don't go back inside for any reason; do not collect toys or animals as they escape or get dressed; tools vs toys (matches and lighters)(hot and cold) are usually sufficient for the pre-kindergarten through the 1st grade (approximately 20-30 minutes tops).

The older kids, the same concepts, a little more in depth. Practice escape procedures such as; stay low and go, feel the door, open the door slightly looking for smoke, and escaping out of a window, and discuss the purpose of a meeting place.

To keep their interest, use props and practice drills for all groups. For example; use a battery smoke detector to demonstrate the sound or replacing the batteries or testing; construct a door and a window in a frame to use to demonstrate and practice escape procedures; use your imagination.

Most likely, you will not be able to use all of the concepts and keep their interest or the students may get confused with too much information. Use your imagination and experience to determine what to do. If they get restless, shift gears and try something else. The main thing is to not overload them. Several short sessions are more benificial than cramming a lot of information into one long one.

The more exposure the students have with the information and a firefigher, the more they will retain. It is a lot of hard work for an effective program, but it is worth it in the log run. Our office has had excellent results with our programs. The children who have been through our programs before, have retained the information.

If you need any more information, let me know and I may be able to give you some of our basic curriculum. E-mail me your snail mail address and I will see what I can do.

Good luck and good teaching.

Ken
    kclamer@xtalwind.net

EngineCoGirl
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, Halon pretty much said it all. We do alot of that stuff for the little kids. A couple other things we do are showing the kids pictures of what happens to kids that play with fire. Nothing too graphic. (The graphic stuff is saved for the public presentation that we give at the firehouse that night.) The kids must have permission slips signed by parents stating their kids may attend the show. (Personally, i think parents are fools to take their kids out of an important presentation) I help our dept with this every year, and the part i do (with 3 or 4 others) is put on our protective gear and SCBA crawling with flashlights and yelling names so that the kids can see and hear what the firefighters sound like when coming to save them if they're trapped inside a structure. That way they won't be scared if they're ever in that situation. Last year me and three other guys dressed up and we all stood on the stage in front of them. The instructor then asked them to identify the girl. They couldn't. And it was good cuz it also tought them that it doesn't matter...man or woman, the firefighter is there to help you and it doesn't matter what sex they are. I love doing fire prevention. It's fun, and gives me a good feeling. Good luck!

------------------
    ~Real heros wear SCBA, not capes~

Firetalker
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi, I teach alot of the fire prevention classes for my dept. and I find that the more fun you make the topic the better the retention, also you have to take the time to allow the children to participate with questions and answers and to allow them to relate their experiences and concerns out loud. Many of us forget that they are just little people and that their fears are just as real as ours. For the littler ones I just teach stop, drop and roll and I have them give me examples of good fire vs bad fire. Then I give them a homework assignment, and that is to teach stop, drop and roll to everyone in their home. The older kids usually see a video and then we go into stop, drop and roll, smoke detectors, meeting places, and most importantly how to call in an emergency and what really is an emergency. I also have different types of literature to distribute based on age groups. All the children are also given the homework assignment to checking the smoke detectors when they go home that night and are told to do it before dinner. My programs are about 2 - 21/2 hours long, and for all groups there is a tour of the rigs. If I can be of any more help please feel free to email me at disp02@aol.com.
    Nancy

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our fire prevention program involves going to the local schools and teaching the children things such as "Stop,Drop, and Roll" and "get low and go, just like G.I. Joe". We cover 911, fire escape plans, meeting spots, fire is a tool, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors and their roles. We show the children our gear and let them try it on and show them the fire truck if time allows. ther are many things that you can do to spark a childs interest in learning about fire safety, remember to keep it at their level and make it fun! The kids of today are the firefighters of tomorrow!! Stay safe

------------------

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I recently became a Fire Prevetion/Education Officer in our dept. I start this life long dream on Friday. I am very excited that I found this page and I'm sure I will be utilizing it often. Thanks for all the great ideas on education. I will call on you to help me with more ideas in the future.

------------------
    The Snake Man!
    Keep it above the water line!

smokeater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am from Oklahoma and we get our program from ALL STATE INSURANCE CO.
    Thay have a video tape with see-more smoke detector, it's about 20 min. long and thay also have posters,coloring books,floor plans, and a deploma fro completing the program.

I believe thay are free but not sure.
    -mail me if you need more info.
    firedog@lawtonok.net

Get on the ball now because as soon as school starts up again you will be booked till november.

good luck.
    firedog

smokeater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

firedog here again
    I forgot to mention a part of the public that is most often forgoten or just plan not known.
    THE HEARING IMPAIRED.
    there are smoke detectors out there that have a strobe light along with a audio that cost around $100 bucks but in Oklahoma we have an agency that will provide them for free. Check with the state Dept. of Human Services to start out.

firedog out

Fireman36
    Firehouse.com Guest

If there is one thing i can tell you , its keep it interactive. if you just show up and talk you arent going to get through to them. It dosent have to cost a lot of money to make it fun. place a rope over the top of some chairs and have the kids crawl under it. get some red craft paper and make some flames and put a little tape on it and put it on the kids. make them roll untill it falls off. do things like this untill you get going and expand your programs to include all the grade levels, but 5th grade is a good place to start with a full year program focusing on a different aspect every other month. you can get pretty technical once you get to the high school grades, show them how different forms of a material will burn and other forms wont. ie, put a match to a nail then to a piece of steel wool. Once you have a lot of confidence in your program start looking into other items, like a fire safety trailer- they are the greatest resource we have going for us in education i believe. consider starting a video library for all your area depts. get a pool of money from each and store all the tapes together and just have people sign them out when they need one. i say about the library because of the ridiculous costs involved with videos and prevention materials. also consider purchasing the same items with other depts at the same time , ie coloring books etc... to get the discount for larger volume. if you need any more info please feel free to email me at anytime at ncrossen@floodcity.net

good luck
    Neil Crossen
    City of Johnstown Fire Dept
    Office Of Public Fire Education

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am also looking for help with fire prevention.The post gave me some insight as to what I need to do.
    Last year I helped out as a last minute thing and I had alot of fun talking and listening to the kids but our program was made as went along.
    This year I hope to help the fire inspectors make this program a little better.

------------------
    AJM108

RhythmKing
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I work with a public education officer who knows just how to make children (as well as adults) become familiar and aware of the fire safety habits to practice with their families. We perform firesafety songs for public affairs. Our songs include Stop, Drop, & Roll, 2 Ways out, Crawl Away, Special Meeting Place... & the list goes on. Presenting these fire smart activities musically has proven to insure that the message has been well recieved. We do have a CD we recorded but with only 4 original songs on it that were penned by Fireman Jim Swing. We have performed for a wide age range and have found all who listen become aware of how they can be fire safe and of the need to know these skills. We all live in Souhern California but have travelled to perform in other states to those willing to pay the travel costs!
    Interesting to see how firemen can interact & learn the most up to date techniques.
    Hope I can help somebody educate their locale.

------------------

Tiger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Our county has a J-FIRE program: Juvenile Fire Intervention & Response program of Western New York.

They perform both proactive and reactive fire safety trainings and have wonderful programs tailored to all age groups.

Their program focuses on the theme: "Fire is a Tool. Not a Toy." It also focuses on behavioral modification - not just bells and whistles, lights and sirens - which only teaches kids that when you pull the alarm, or start a fire - excitement shows up.

Check out their web site at: www.jfire.com or contact them for more info.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    Training Coordinator/Recruiter
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety www.erie.gov
    716/681-7111

MembersZone Subscriber

My name is Jim and I work for the Tinley Park Fire Dept in Illinois. I am currently looking to start a program for the new Hotels we have in town. And also for the nursing homes. I am looking to do fire safety for both employees and residents of the hotels and nursing homes. Does anyone out there have any kind of program in effect already? Or does anyone have any suggestions? If anyone can help,please E Mail me at JGASKILL@tinleypark.org.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thread Information