JERRY SULLIVAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post JUVENILE FIRE SETTERS ?

I WORK FOR THE CITY OF ROCHESTER FIRE DEPT , I'M ASSIGNED TO THE FIRE INVESTIGATION UNIT AS A CAUSE / ORIGIN INVESTIGATOR AND ALSO WORK WITH JUVENILE FIRE SETTERS , OUR JUVENILE PROGRAM IS CALLED THE F.R.Y. PROGRAM "FIRE RELATED YOUTH PROGRAM , WHICH WAS STARTED IN 1982.
    WHAT DOES YOUR FIRE DEPT DO ABOUT JUVENILE FIRE SETTERS. HOW DO YOU WORK?

------------------

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our Department has a Juvenile Fire Intervention Officer who handles these matters. As the Department's Public Fire Education Officer, I teach fire safety in our City's schools grades K through 4. We work with the schools to identify juvenile fire setters and potential ones and work
    together to solve the problem.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited January 12, 2000).]

Brandy620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hi
    I am the Fire Prevention Officer in our dept. for the last almost 4 year's now. in Ontario, Canada. Also 4 or 5 of us took a course on Fire Cause and Determination that probley covered the same info you got. I really enjoyed the course.
    We have a really nice program that started about three year's ago called TAPP-C
    The Arson Prevention Program for Children.
    This was started in Toronto.
    It work's real nice. Instead of showing them films of burn victums, that some dept. I've heard do. It work's directly with the child. 1-16, or youger. It goes into the home and that's usually the problem there. The parent's need to be educated. Not all want to be, but it's a start. Also home inspection's, that your looking for home smoke det. that are working and maybe putting in some more. Parent's have to want the help, for this to work. It's a negative thing if you have to bring the police in.
    There are diffent things for their ages. The young one's have pages to color and pick the "bad" in each picture. It's a way for them to learn the bad. They might not know.
    As the children get older the level is more advanced. Maybe dealing with the member at the hall by "helping out" and finding out what actually happens at a fire hall. After a lot of sweeping and actually getting to know the people they find another interest.
    If you want to see some examples of the paper work. Let me know where to sent it.
    Good Luck,
    Your's in Fire Safety,
    Brandy 620

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Colorado has a nationaly recognized program that is on the cutting edge for JFSPs. Contact John Ortiz at (303)239-4463. He should sent you some information. Its an awesome program.

------------------
    Thanks,
    The Snake Man
    Be safe!

Thread Information