Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Prevention forum at all time low

As part of my job I check this forum frequently to find out whats new and good to use in my own jurisdiction but how can we expect the web team to move us up and give us a good spot on the forums if no-one ever visits or post on the fire prevention forum.

How can we increase participation for this wonderful tool of networking(fire prevention forum)?????

------------------
    Yours Truly,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon relize the pig enjoys it.

9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Good question. I was hoping to be able to use this forum to exchange ideas and solutions to code/fire prevention problems, but it seems that it's not very popular.
    I'll keep checking in, though.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. It's mine and mine only. Any similarity to another opinion...living or dead...is purely coincidental.

[This message has been edited by 9m18 (edited June 08, 2000).]

pwduffy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dont know if I have more fire prevention or you do but I work without a budget and no help and still manage to contact an average of 18000 people a year. Any info would be great

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Would love to help. What ya got in mind. I have a few tricks in my bag? BIke rodeos, safety fairs, how to create your own sparky dog costume etc. Lets swap some ideas. Anybody got an academy award winning idea in fire prevention?

------------------
    Yours Truly,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

Boots
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

NEED HELP WITH NEW SKITS FOR LIFE SAFETY PROGRAM. KNOW OF ANY GOOD SKITS OR MAGIC THAT WILL HELP OUT PLEASE PASS ON. WE USE "FIRE EDUCATORS" CLOWNS AND PUPPETS TO HELP TEACH OTHERS. ALREADY USING DRESS UP DETECTORS, MAGIC FRIES FOR COOL THE BURN, CHANGE BAG FOR MOST IMPORTANT ETC. PASS ON ANY IDEAS-
    COME ON LET'S MAKE THIS THE MOST USED FORUM-LET'S PROVE PREVENTION IS #1

------------------

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

OK Snakeman, I'll bring your topic back to life cause I'd sure like to have some help on "free" materials for Senior Citizen classes!!

newtonb
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my neighborhood, we have about 35 or so households all on a group email. Not only do we discuss neighborhood issues, but I periodically send out information from the internet regarding fire safety/prevention. This seems to keep the topic somewhat active in people's minds rather than being forgotten.

Neen5029
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here's a good one for you all to think about, how do you get the young adults to listen to what you're trying to teach???

Stay Safe ~~neen

denny
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

To get more activity in this form
    need to get the word out to other fire prev.
    personnel and other fire officals,that there
    is this site/form for fireprev&safety.
    How about letters to the editors in the
    FireSafety Mags & Newsletters to get the word
    out..
    Problem also could be time..
    Personnel don't have the time to check this form out.. I know i don't check it out a lot.
    Just too much other things going on..
    But we must keep pluging away..

Knisely
    Firehouse.com Guest

This forum has always been at the bottom of the Firehouse list. Prevention needs to be at or near the top, especially to be noticed.
    Firehouse always seems to forget this. The recent Firehouse Expo in Baltimore did not have one topic on prevention and inspection. Only topics on what to do after prevention fails. My employer would send me to this if one topic covered prevention, instead I traveled to other programs.

I haven't visited this site for a long time due to its inactivity. I'll keep checking, the new contacts are promising...

[This message has been edited by Knisely (edited November 03, 2000).]

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Well, we should commit to each other to check this site atleast once a week. I could definetly use some of your ideas. ie what are some good courses to take or apply for at the National fire Academy. Did you know that its time to apply?

Knisely
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm looking at the NFA catalog now. I've taken FIP's which was excellent. I'm not sure if I'll take structures and systems or code management next. Too tough to choose between.

FDIC-2001 has a great prevention and inspection outline, it puts Firehouse to shame. Register early if you want to find a hotel.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Snakeman:

I've taken FIP, Structures and Systems, and Plans Review at NFA. I recommend any of them, as I have found them extremely valuable.

I expect to next take either Fire-Arson Investigation or some of the Code Management classes.

Email me if you want details.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

NC7,
    I actually applied to the plans review class at NFA for the second semester in 2001. Hope I get in! Thanks for the feedback!

Chief79
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is my first time to post here. I am interested in prevention. I hope to learn from others here.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Snakeman, you are 100% right that we don't give this forum enough use.(I plead guilty!) I will try to be more active here as prevention has always been one of my priorities in the fire service. That being said, let me throw out an idea that has work well for us in these days of limited manpower. Our central school district is served by four different fire depts. A number of years ago we realized that it was getting difficult to get sufficient manpwer to do a decent fire prevention program during the day when school was in session.
    We formed a fire safety committee consisting of two people from each dept who meet with school administrators and teachers two to three times a year to plan and impliment safety programs to present to the students. During fire prevention week the district buses the students in groups of 2 or 3 classes all day to one of the more central stations and we consolidate our man power to present various portion of the program. Each dept brings a different piece of equipment(one might bring an engine,another their heavy rescue,etc) so the kids are aware of each dept's contributing to the whole program. Our 911 dispatch center sends a dispatcher to man an in house 911 phone system we set up. The kids get a chance to really dail the # and talk with the real thing.(It' a hoot to see their faces when somebody answers the phone). The dispatcher appears after and reinforces the lesson. That's just one part of the program. We also still make individual visits to the elementary buildings in each village to re-inforce the message given in the overall program. Obviously it takes a co-operative school district to do this,but we have found ours quite willing.
    Drop me an e-mail snake, (or anyone else), if you'd like to compare notes. My e-mail is on my profile. STAY SAFE!

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

chf jstano,
    Thanks for the feedback. Your idea for the school actually sounds like something we ought to try around here. I'm going to pass this on to our public information officer and see what thoughts he has entertained. I will more than likely inquire some more info from you on this subject.
    Welcome back the the forums! 9C7 & I try very hard to keep this thing going cause I believe in it as one of our best tools. Check it often; occaisionally I end up learning alot from people like yourself.

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

[This message has been edited by The Snake Man (edited 12-07-2000).]

Chief79
    Firehouse.com Guest

At the beginning of the school year our department instituted what we call the L.A.F.S. (Learning About Fire Safety) program in the fourth grade classes. We have three campuses with fourth grade classes in our school district. We are given one class period a month for each fourth grade class. Our program includes a curricullum we obtained from the Texas State Fire Marshals' Office and some ideas of our own. We are reaching every fourth grade student in our district. That is only about 250 students but it is a start. We hope to expand the program as we get more full-time personnel.

PublicEducator
    Firehouse.com Guest

One of the more recent things that my Company has done, partially as a fundraiser, but more as a community service, was to sell reflective address markers at a cost with a little profit to the fire company. We have sold a very large volume of them and are still getting requests for them. If you would like some more info you my send me a E-mail and I will see that you get the info.

Education for Life

Thread Information