The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Handheld computers during fire inspections? Yes or No?

Ok Ok, I have to admit Im kinda a tech. junky when it comes to Palm Pilot and Handspring Visor PDA's.
    Recently while cruzin the Palm web-site I came across a fire inspector program that only requires you to have a Palm device. Believe it or not it actually has the majority of the Uniform Fire Code 1997 already in it to where you tap the violation and you have to right almost nothing.

The burnin question: are any of you out there using little pocket computers for your inspections or any kind of PDA's????

If so what do you do about giving them a copy of the inspection and getting a signature that they understand the violation and time frame you have outlined for them?

Hate to admit it but I really the think the PC is going away and we will be doing it all on Palm computers in just a few short years.

What ya think?

------------------
    Yours Truly,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

Knisely
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are not using them yet - but we are looking for software vendors that have Fire Code and Property Maintenance Code under the new IBC-2000 format.

If anyone has any ideas let me know...

Our local university uses them for E&HS and it seems to be working, instead of printing a report they e-mail it to the person...

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Go to the HandDbase website and look up fire inspection. There you will find a program writtin by a Hawiian Fire Marshall. Check it out. its pretty cool. I downloaded it yesterday.

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since the last time I posted in this section I have been spending my time creating a HandBase Applet program for fire inspectors using Palm Pilot or other like devices. If you would like to try it out I will some how get it to you. If you have HandBase software, which is incredibly easy to program I can zip it to you!

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN

Chiefws
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Hi,

I'm a Fire Official in NJ and we have been using fire inspection software for about 7 years now. We also use Pen computer for the field. The company that does our software is Emergency Software Products, Inc.

I also do sales for them oin the side. If you want I could send you a demo disk

William F. Smith
    Chiefws@aol.com

Thread Information