Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question How to look the other way when someone is in your fire lane!

Recently, while off duty in civilian cloths, I was walking out of a grocery store with my wife when I looked up and saw a vehicle parked right in front of the door of a major grocery store. My wife saw my blood preasure go up and I didn't have my badge with me. Her response to me was "Honey, come on your off duty right now" I replied, "no, that is MY fire lane and someone is in it. He is parked practically on top of MY fire lane sign. Wouldn't you feel bad if something happened and we could have prevented it by asking that man to move his vehicle? Well, she made a run for the truck with our grocery's as to not be embarrased and I walked up to the guy, who was standing just inside the door and said "Excuse me sir, did you know your vehicle is in a fire lane....?" He looked at me and said "Who are you? You the F'in fire marshall here? I replied "No sir, Im the fire inspector, can you please move your vehicle to a parking spot". He freaked and humbly moved his vehicle.
    Now here is my question:
    Am I being unfair to the public by approaching them out of uniform without a badge?
    Could you look the other direction if you were in plain cloths and saw a car in your firelane? I don't think so. If you could Id like to know how you do it with good conscious. Or would you contact an on duty inspector to come and handle it?

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

Knisely
    Firehouse.com Guest

Without a badge, I'd look the other way. But I have badged businesses when off duty. In this profession are we ever off duty?

I'd be interested to know if any FM or FI offices write tickets for this, or even blocking a hydrant ? I've called parking enforcement many times for these two items.

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yea, I can call the sheriffs office for tickets but there usually gone by then.

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Being a full time cop and volunteer firefighter... I probably see this from a different angle.

To answer your question, I guess I am apathetic in that any more, when I am OFF DUTY, I don't make it a point to get involved in enforcement actions.

Now, to add to this topic, I am a Fire Inspector which I am told gives me authority to enforce violations in a fire lane. However, from my experience as a police officer, I can tell you that I have had more potential for a physical confrontation from parking enforcement that I have from most more serious calls!!! For some reason, people seem to feel that when you challenge how they park their car, it is an invitation for an argument. For that reason, I would recommend turning these problems over to the local law enforcement agency to handle.. just in case it goes sour. As a fire official, you risk your life enough on the fire ground, you don't need to run the risk of injury at the hands of an angry person who parked in the wrong place.

One other thing I'll add. Not that it makes it right, but generally when I look at parking enforcement on things like fire lanes, if the car is occupied (or driver standing near it), I normally don't take enforcement action if there is no immediate danger. My feeling is that if a fire were to occur, the driver would be able to move the car before he got in the way of apparatus. I know this doesn't make it right, but I think it has kept me out of a few fights...

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-16-2000).]

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

How true, how true! Most of my experiences have been confrontational. You shed some interesting perspective on this. I normally don't say anything unless the car is off or they are walking in with no other occupants in the vehicle. But you are absolutly right about the physical confrontation.
    Ill think about that a little better next time.
    THanks

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Make it easy (easier) on yourselves. When you see a violation off-duty (assuming it's a signifigant one) call the duty officer and have an engine company (or an officer)come down and take care of it. Works for me...

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

FPOfficer308
    Firehouse.com Guest

Snake Man, I feel you may have a little too much time on your hands to get that upset about a situation that is not immediate life threatening. I do not mean to be judgemental, but you must learn to prioritize your fights, especially off-duty with your wife.
    By the way, how long have you ben a fire inspector?

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately I would have to respectfully disagree with you! It is, and can be a life safety issue or become one very quickly. Firelanes are lifesafety issues.
    I believe in what Im doing. If I don't care who will? the store owner?
    I have been a fire inspector for 3 years. Unfortunately I live in a "somewhat" small community, and that community really sees me as being on the job all the time. Somedays I'm a fire investigator and somedays driver/engineer, somedays Haz-Mat IV, somedays EMT- IV therapy. I often feel like Im always on the job and thats ok. My major contributions to quality time with my wife allows it. Ha! I often refer to her as my domestic chief....Ha!

But that passion has already saved several lives. Some years ago, I didn't let a "minor" safety violation slide and it ended up saving a life several weeks later. So, fire lanes saves lives! My motto is:\
    "Asking me to overlook a simple safety violation would be like asking me to comprimise my entire attitude toward the value of your life"

We are making a difference!

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN

[This message has been edited by The Snake Man (edited 11-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by The Snake Man (edited 11-22-2000).]

Thread Information