firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Kids say (and do) the darnest things!

I do a lot of pub ed and school visits, and some of the things the kids say and do really make me laught.

For example, one year during Fire Prevention Week we were running a contest at the schools, encouraging children to make and practice an escape plan with their families. The prize was a ride to school in a fire truck. All they had to do was bring back a form, signed by the child and a parent, saying they had, indeed, made and practiced their escape plan. One kindergartener wanted to be sure he got in on the drawing. Even though he had a week to complete the assignment, he brought the form back to the office the day they were distributed. Under parent's signature, in typical kindergarten handwriting, was scrawled "MOM".

I was impressed. I didn't start forging my mother's name until I was in high school.

Let's hear some of yours!

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Firefighteranne, I can't top that one!! That's a beaut!! This is the only one that comes to mind - 5th graders going through "Escape House" - learning fire prevention lessons, exit plans, etc. - This is a very miniaturized house with 3' ceilings - by the time the 3rd child asked me the question "Do you live here?" - I finally had what seemed like the perfect answer - "See that big fire chief out there?" (My 6'2" hubby) "We decided this house just wasn't big enough for him."

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Those are some pretty funny stories. They will be tough to beat. However, did you know that Santa Clause is the the fire chief of the north poll? 2 years ago, I had to do a fire drill at a local elem. school. I got of the engine and it was around Christmas or there abouts and a small 1st or 2nd grade boy approached me and said "hey mister fire man when "ya'll" goin to brings back santy" I ask him what he had said cause I wasn't sure what he was talking about. He said, I have seen santy on your fire engine in the parade and he lives at the fire station" I started to laugh and the kid looks at me and says "how come "ya'll" don't let santy out dat fire station da rest of da year, yall have fire engines and santy in there"...I died laughing. Occaisonaly, Ill see our Christmas decorations on the station and wonder myself why we don't let "santy" out the rest of the year too.......

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Okay, I've got another one for you...

Whenever I can, I eat lunch with some of our Learn Not to Burn classrooms. Not too long ago, I joined a class of third-graders for lunch. As I walked into their classroom, one of the boys said "my, you've gotten big," just as I'm sure he's heard many adults say to him!

When I told that to my husband, he wanted to know if I kicked his a**. I told him I couldn't--I had too many witnesses.

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Needless to say we influence our children by the things we say and do around them in our everyday lives.My kids are no exception.
    When my son was about 4 years old,I stopped by a neighboring dept(I Can't Believe It's Not Butter yellow trucks) to check out their new engine.The chief and I were talking while my son busily hopped around the various apparatus."Well what do you think about these big trucks?" chief Bob asked. My son looked up at him and siad "I'm going to be chief here someday."
    "You are?" replied chief bob.
    "Yup,"my son said."and I'm going to paint all these trucks red!"
    STAY SAFE and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I ws doing a fire safety presentation at our early childhood center a few years ago and asked the kids if they had any questions about fire safety. One boy raised his hand and said "my daddy says that firemen and hookers get paid for lying on their backs!"

The teacher's face dropped like a rock and she turned as red as my fire truck. The other parents in the room looked at me to see what my reaction would be. I looked at the child and said "do you really believe that?"

The child then answered "no, I think firemen are heroes!"

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 12-20-2000).]

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Captain Gonzo--
    Oh my God, that is choice! It would've been absolutely perfect if the kid's dad had been one of the parents in the room. Unless he was, and he crawled under a chair the minute that came out of his kid's mouth. Reminds me of the time my youngest son spit on the ground during a preschool end-of-the-year presentation--while his class was doing their presentation. When the principal asked him where he learned THAT, he said "my mom." My mouth just dropped open, and no, he did NOT learn that from me!

Halon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi,

I don't expect to top any of the above comments. At the beginning of my career when I was single and had little exposure to children and their questions(?)I taught some 2nd graders about fire safety. As always, they were told about having two ways out and that they should have a door and a window in their bedrooms for an escape. After surviving a barage of "test the teacher questions" and sceneros, a boy asked the question, "If you didn't have a window or door, what should you do to escape from the fire?". Being the adult that I was and wanting to respond with the the correct, proper and safe answer, the question stumped me briefly. Fumbling for the correct words I answered with, "How would you have gotten into the room?". STUMPED THE 2ND GRADER!!! He replied with an expression of wondering why he asked on his face and said, "Oh". He immediately turned and left.

Out of the mouths of babes.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ken

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

This happened while I was teaching a fire safety class today...

One of the teachers at the school got a puppy from the same litter that I got my two pups from. While we were waiting for another classroom to come down, we started chatting about the puppies. She mentioned that she was getting her dog "fixed" during the February school vacation. One of her students said "Mrs. D'Angeli, I'm sorry to hear your dog is broken"

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

chuxter
    Firehouse.com Guest

My favorite has always been the child who when asked what he would do if his clothes were on fire replied that if this happened he wouldn't put them on. Also I am always amused at the young matchmakers whose teachers are single trying to set her up with the nice fireman.

Thread Information