Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question International code vs. Uniform code

After years of being in the Uniform Fire Code, I walked in on Monday morning to find a Internation Fire Code on my desk. The note read "Please review and tell me if you like this code. If we like it we will adopt it after one cycle in 2003".
    I curious to what likes or dislikes you may have about the Uniform Fire Code and what likes and dislikes you have with the International.
    Now I have found thus far that it appears that the International code is easier to understand and seems more up to date with reality.
    What do you think?

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I've been told by several people I trust that the International Codes water down many requirements we've come to rely on. Give me time and I'll come up with specifics.

For example-- the International One and Two Family Dwelling Code removes the requirement that the propertyowner retrofit hardwired smokes when they do a certain amount of work in a existing home. 1995 CABO had required the retrofit. Now, they just have to install battery smokes in existing bedrooms, etc.

If that's what they did to a proven lifesaver like smoke detectors, I'm not sure I want to read the rest of it.

PS: One of the people who said this to me will be listed inside the front cover of your copy of the International Fire Code as the chairman of the committee that developed it.

Politics...

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

[This message has been edited by 9C7 (edited 01-04-2001).]

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

9C7,

I do the single family dwelling plan and review for my district.

I didn't understand what you ment by "retrofitting hardwired smokes".

------------------
    For better fire safety,
    THE SNAKE MAN
    Arguing with a fire inspector is like rolling in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig enjoys it.

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Snakeman:

1995 CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code required the entire home to be retrofitted with hardwired smokes located as if in new construction under certain circumstances. They are: any work requiring a permit done in a sleeping area; addition of a new sleeping area, and I think one more (I don't have any books at home with me).

They did not have to be interconnected unless other work required the walls to be opened up. But they had to be hardwired with battery backup.

I got a lot of smokes installed this way. But the International Code eliminated it.

Check Section 309...I may have the number wrong, but it's found under "Building Planning."

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Tom Erwin
    Firehouse.com Guest

Snake Man,
    New York is in the process of adopting the IBC family of codes. We have had our own set for many years. I have been doing a lot of research and I personally think that this move is a HUGE step backwards for the fire service. However the self serving politicians that enacted the law to adopt the IBC won't be the ones risking their lives in these less restrictive buildings. The IBC is fine for the newer communities but for the older ones it sucks!

Thread Information